Aruba Beach
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree5Likes

Thread: Surf fishing in Aruba!

Recommend fishing for Bonefish on sandy flats(5 feet or less)by Arashi beach( caught many small ones) or by the the Ritz.i would use small hook with 2 foot leader ahead of 1 ounce weight.for bait i use 1x1/4 strip of squid(supermarket).Good luck and tight lines

Hi! Welcome to the Aruba.com Community Forum.

I have no fishing experience, so I'm glad you have received so many great responses
    Jacki ~ loving Aruba from NJ

Hey Fernandez, I bring a nice light weight pole each year and do some surf casting. Susan and I have caught many delicious fish offshore in Aruba. But i have never caught one surf casting. I can see them swimming around my hook and following it into the shore. I have used bait and lures and casted into large schools of fish swimming right past me with no luck. My friend who lives in Aruba and is a great offshore fisherman says he doesn't hear much about fish being caught surf casting. i still enjoy it. Its a great way to meet people, many are interested and spark up a conversation. I walk up and down the beach for a good distance, great exercise. I am also a early riser so I try very early and even at dusk, just no luck. Its still fun and relaxing to me. By the way, when we fish off shore we are using hand lines in Aruba. Very popular here.
    Good Luck,
    Sean and Susan

Junior Member ffernandezurdaneta's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by crimms View Post
    Hey Fernandez, I bring a nice light weight pole each year and do some surf casting. Susan and I have caught many delicious fish offshore in Aruba. But i have never caught one surf casting. I can see them swimming around my hook and following it into the shore. I have used bait and lures and casted into large schools of fish swimming right past me with no luck. My friend who lives in Aruba and is a great offshore fisherman says he doesn't hear much about fish being caught surf casting. i still enjoy it. Its a great way to meet people, many are interested and spark up a conversation. I walk up and down the beach for a good distance, great exercise. I am also a early riser so I try very early and even at dusk, just no luck. Its still fun and relaxing to me. By the way, when we fish off shore we are using hand lines in Aruba. Very popular here.
    Good Luck,
    Sean and Susan
    Thanks Sean! I will do my best. I have heard that in the Spanish Lagoon i can try to fish something. I am looking for snappers and maybe some snooks or cudas!

I will post here if i can catch anything. I will do bottom fishing and some baloon fishing also, using traditional baits like squid or shrimps! But if you can give me any advice i will be really pleased to learn from your experience!

The less crowded beaches & the Dutch bars
    You can catch Cuda's, Bones and small snappers while standing in the water or from shore. Traditional Surf fishing is not really feasible because of the physical structure of the water. Read up on Balloon fishing. the locals do it with 300-500 yard hand lines. I do it using a long travel rod loaded with 250-300 yards of braid, by adapting the hand line techniques. I catch Bones on the flats using tiny crabs ( you can catch them on the rocks ) under a small float that I cast out and just let drift. The bones are not plentiful but run 5 pounds and up. Good luck

Never thought of snatching the crabs off the rocks,always used squid strips,thanks

Senior Member LeaveTheKidsWithMom's Avatar
    Does one not need a fishing license to fish in Aruba? In the Bahamas you better have one and you purchase it from immigration. I've seen locals fish hand lines on the east side, there are a lot of pompano and a lot of rocks to get snagged on.

not that i know of

Hey coldsteel! Thanks a lot. I might try to fish using also bottom fishing. I found some videos in youtube of a local who fishes using this technique! I let you the link https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=o19iDa0w5ho

It seems to be fishing using bottom rigs with chunks of fish as a bait. And also they are fishing in the south area of the island. You ca tell because in some of this guy videos you can see the windmills in the north coast.

I will take with me a daiwa 12 foot rod and a 5000 reel with 30 pound tested mono. What is your opinion about that set?

Lucky thanks a lot for the data! As you might have read under, here is a link of a guy who fishes in the south side of the island, in the north coast, close to the windmills. Check his youtube channel! You might find a proper spot or to recognize a place where you have been before!

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=o19iDa0w5ho

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast