Like Tree7Likes
  • 1 Post By Andrea J.
  • 1 Post By hatteras
  • 1 Post By ArubaAce
  • 1 Post By FRMNL
  • 1 Post By sunkissedbaby00
  • 1 Post By hatteras

Thread: Tour with Bully

The beach at the Tam and the beauty that is the Natural Bridge area.

Tour with Bully

I'm interested in taking a tour with Bully - I did the tourist-y DePalm thing on my first visit (saw the lighthouse, the church, the bridge, snorkeled at Baby Beach, etc), but I'd like to see the island outside of that. I emailed him and asked him if this would be possible (he is available), but I'm not really sure what to do. His handout just mentioned what I've already seen. I was thinking 3 - 4 hours. Shopping isn't a huge interest. Snorkeling seems like a waste of his expertise. Do you have any suggestions? I have not explored on other trips because I truly value sitting my bum on the beach and vegging out - since I was able to get a few extra days on this trip, I figured it was the time to see some things.

Also, what is the customary tipping for something like this?

Punta Cana 6.08 - Riviera Maya 6.09 - Aruba 6.10 - Cozumel 6.11 - Aruba 4.12 - Bahamas 6.12 - Playa del Secreto 6.13 - Aruba 4.14 - Curacao 6.14 - Punta Cana 6.15 - Aruba 6.16 - Aruba 6.17

Aruba since 1979
    the price is $45 p hour? i think a 20% would be appropriate.

if i were going, i would ask bully to take me thru the dog cemetery, the paved road section of the arikok, thru savenetta to zeerovers, to the bakery that he loves and a couple of the catholic cemeteries. (ya i like weird/odd/different stuff )
    i do not think that would take more than 3 hours.

i hope others will have some more interesting things to visit than i.

Boca Catalina, Arashi Beach Manchebo Beach, Eagle Beach
    Quote Originally Posted by sunkissedbaby00 View Post
    I'm interested in taking a tour with Bully - I did the tourist-y DePalm thing on my first visit (saw the lighthouse, the church, the bridge, snorkeled at Baby Beach, etc), but I'd like to see the island outside of that. I emailed him and asked him if this would be possible (he is available), but I'm not really sure what to do. His handout just mentioned what I've already seen. I was thinking 3 - 4 hours. Shopping isn't a huge interest. Snorkeling seems like a waste of his expertise. Do you have any suggestions? I have not explored on other trips because I truly value sitting my bum on the beach and vegging out - since I was able to get a few extra days on this trip, I figured it was the time to see some things.

Also, what is the customary tipping for something like this?

Have you been to the gold mill ruins? three bridges? ayo rock formations? the people cemetery (very interesting) seen the island from up by the water tower? Bright Bakery? We have done several tours with Bully, and he's found places that we had never seen. We repeated a few of them again with him, and enjoyed it just as much. We had done a jeep tour previously. Oh, one more thing, have you been to the stacking rocks? Just tell Bully what you've seen and he'll find some new things. Even if you repeat some of the things, you'll have more time to explore and enjoy them than you had on your other tour. There is also a really cool tree near the water, close to the lighthouse, that he can take you to for some great photos of you and your family/friends.

First decide if you would like to do a 3 hour or 4 hour tour. Then you tell Bully what you have already seen and he will customize the tour for you. Don't eat breakfast so he can take you to Brite Bakery for some delicious Pastechi, the coconut maccaroons and other treats. Oh man now I have a sweet tooth thinking about it!
    I did a 3 hour tour with bully and he took me to the brite bakery, natural bridge, ayo rock formation, 3 bridges, gold mine ruins, people cemetary and other places. I finished my tour at The West Deck, Had lunch there but he told me to call him when I was done which i did and he dropped me off at hotel for just an extra $10.00. I had a great time!!!

Great tips, I keep Bully in mind when visiting the island again.
    Last edited by FRMNL; 02-23-2016 at 06:14 AM.

This is great! You guys have mentioned some things I've never even heard of - I will email him and see what he can work into our time.

@ArubaAce - I have a crazy sweet tooth and the bakery sounds like something that would make me very, very happy!

Bully quoted $45/hour up to 5 people which I think is awesome. Thanks for the tip on tipping.

@FRMNL definitely keep Bully in mind. He's picked up/dropped off on every trip except my first (because I didn't know any better) and he's awesome. So friendly, always prompt, and hilarious. He does book up quickly, so I try to make sure I email him as soon as I know my plans.
    Last edited by sunkissedbaby00; 02-23-2016 at 11:48 AM.

Punta Cana 6.08 - Riviera Maya 6.09 - Aruba 6.10 - Cozumel 6.11 - Aruba 4.12 - Bahamas 6.12 - Playa del Secreto 6.13 - Aruba 4.14 - Curacao 6.14 - Punta Cana 6.15 - Aruba 6.16 - Aruba 6.17

Boca Catalina, Arashi Beach Manchebo Beach, Eagle Beach
    [QUOTE=sunkissedbaby00;291984]This is great! You guys have mentioned some things I've never even heard of - I will email him and see what he can work into our time.

@ArubaAce - I have a crazy sweet tooth and the bakery sounds like something that would make me very, very happy!

Bully quoted $45/hour up to 8 people which I think is awesome. Thanks for the tip on tipping.

@FRMNL definitely keep Bully in mind. He's picked up/dropped off on every trip except my first (because I didn't know any better) and he's awesome. So friendly, always prompt, and hilarious. He does book up quickly, so I try to make sure I email him as soon as I know my plans.[/QUO

I'm sure that you will have a great time. Check with Bully about the number of people that he can take on the tour. In the past, the limit has been five. He has a new van, which is a little smaller than his old van. I don't think that 8 people would fit in it. The govt. was only allowing 5 people in a taxi, but he may have gotten a different touring license that I'm not aware of.

Aruba since 1979
    yes, the number is 5 for taxi

i am pretty certain the 8 is a typo

the government sets the $rates and the amount of passengers.

we will be in aruba for only 1 day on a cruise stop in a few months....we have made arrangements with bully for taxi service. we will be a group of 6. he told us he is only allowed to have 5 max. so we will be splitting up into 2 taxis

Yes, I'm sorry that was a typo - I meant 5. I have updated my post.

Aruba since 1979
    i am going to copy this Bully review posting to the Getting Around Aruba category.
    Quote Originally Posted by sunkissedbaby00 View Post
    Just wanted to follow up on this thread - Bully took us on a 3 hour tour last Thursday. Asked where we had been before and suggested some new spots and I told him we would love to go wherever he would lead us. We ended up at the Triple Bridge, Casibiri, Ayo, a cemetery (I was afraid this would be a bit morbid, but it was interesting to hear the history and the buildings are beautiful), the Gold Mill, Bright Bakery, and a spot with a little open bridge that I don't think had a name. We got to christen his new van back to the Triple Bridge. I felt a bit bad as this was a rough ride, but I guess it had to get broken in at some point. Bully was fantastic of course! He gave us a ton of history and got us in some great spots for pictures. Bright Bakery was amazing...OMG! Bully recommended pastechi and it was honestly one of the best things I've ever eaten. We got a few other sweet things and they were all out of this world. Bully said everyone who comes back for another tour with him always asks for another stop at Bright and I can totally understand why. He is such a fabulous person and we enjoyed our tour and airport trips with him. I can't recommend him highly enough!