Aruba Beach
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Underwater Camera

The beach, Boca Prins & just about anywhere with my husband!

Underwater Camera

Hello! My husband will be traveling to Aruba for our second trip in January 09. We would like to purchase an underwater camera but don't want to have to spend a million dollars on it. Any suggestions?? Thanks a bunch!

Cool My suggestion...

I would just purchase one of those disposable underwater cameras. They allow you to take about 25 pictures (to a depth of about 50 feet) and they cost about $10-15.

we've used the disposables too and they've worked great!
    Jacki ~ loving Aruba from NJ

I have used http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/catego...otography.html
    for two sets of camera and enclosures for the past 5 years. I found the best trade off in usable mid end camera that fits a $150 housing. Great for snorkeling and shallow dives, not reliable at 60 to 100ft I have been told. Currently using an A710IS with housing. It takes great pictures in the underwater mode and cost $400 total. It is also a great general purpose camera for someone who normal lives by his Cannon digital SLR with excellent lenses.
    This combo is much better than the disposables and after spending $100 in our first year, this is much better, more photos to chose from, better quality, and better results than the disposables.
    Have Fun, Pete

Will you be diving at all or is this just for pool/beach/snorkeling use?

If not diving, take a look at the Vivitar ViviCam 6200W. (it's only rated to 30' which is why I mentioned diving)

I bought one last year not expecting much but was pleasantly surprised with the results. An excellent little camera for the price.

For some samples see the link in my sig below. All snorkeling pics and most beach & pool pics were taken with this camera.

Reniassance Island & Surf Club Lazy River
    Chip, thanks so much for the nice slide show. Pictures are great. Your little guys are cute. cindy

Your little guys are cute
    Thanks!

Of course with them, you never know what you're going to get...

or

The beach, Boca Prins & just about anywhere with my husband!

Underwater Camera

We will just be using it for snorkeling and the such. Thanks so much for all your reccomendations. I will certainly check them all out. We used a disposable last summer,and the pictures were good. But we are now looking for something a little higher-tech. Thanks again!

chip, saw your photos, loved them. i noticed at baby beach there were the canopies and chairs. can u rent them there? when we were there last didn't seem to be much around, or places to change. taking 3 kids next week. thanks for any info.
    mrsgp1987
    Leechburg
    Pennsylvania

Quote Originally Posted by mrsgp1987 View Post
    chip, saw your photos, loved them. i noticed at baby beach there were the canopies and chairs. can u rent them there? when we were there last didn't seem to be much around, or places to change. taking 3 kids next week. thanks for any info.
    Sorry for the delay getting back to you as I was away for a few days and am just now getting caught up.

The chairs/canopies are available for rent. I think we paid around $30.00 for the canopy and two chairs, and they threw in two floats for the kids. Well worth it to not only have the chairs to sit on, but also a place to put our gear and allow the kids some time out of the direct sun.

Make sure if you go there and rent that you get one of the canopies with the mesh vent in the back. (the yellow/white ones you see in my pictures) as this allows for nice cross-ventilation. The others (mostly maroon as I recall) don't seem to have this vent.

As for places to change, I'm not so sure about that one. I know that there are bathrooms near the snack shack there, but we didn't didn;t use them at all so I can't really comment.

Have a great trip!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast