Aruba Beach

Thread: Venezuela

Venezuela

Not that I'd want to do it, but I am curious, do Arubans (or people visiting) ever go to Venezuela? I mean, 15 miles is kind of close. I haven't come across this topic (yet).

Aruba since 1979
    Some Arubans visit venezuela for medical care and visits as tourists.
    (Many Venezuelans visit Aruba for vacation)

US citizens are advised against traveling to Venezuela due to CHavez and his government.

Ah, good ole Hugo! I forgot about him. It just seemed like there would be a daily ferry or something with it being so close. Ok, thanks, Andrea!

Aruba since 1979
    you are welcome

every so often we get a posting here asking about a ferry to and from Venezuela.
    did you know that Chavez in one of his "rants" claimed Aruba as "his" aka Venezuela's commonwealth??!!

Quote Originally Posted by TH420X View Post
    Ah, good ole Hugo! I forgot about him. It just seemed like there would be a daily ferry or something with it being so close. Ok, thanks, Andrea!

It doesn't surprise me at all.

Arrow Only if you want to put your life in danger

How the heck did I miss that thread?! I swear I searched! Good info. I doubt I would have made the venture anyway, I was mostly curious as to whether or not there was something set up for travel because of the close proximity. I can't imagine needing or wanting to leave the one happy island!

Since 1980, and throughout the many changes, we still love going downtown in Oranjestad.
    Venezuela, and specifically travel between there and Aruba comes up every now and again.

I've been going to Aruba for over 30 years, and in the pre-Chavez days, travel by Canadians, Americans and Dutch visitors to Aruba was available but usually discouraged.

As for travel to Venezuela now, let me put it this way. If you felt you really wanted to go there from Aruba then by all means go. But, in all likelihood, you'd find yourself on the Venezuelan coast, looking out across at the rest of us enjoying ourselves in Aruba, and saying to yourself, "What was I thinking?"

In a similar vein, have any of you noticed the lack of Venezuelan tourists in Aruba. Apparently Chavez-government imposed currency and credit card restrictions mean Venezuelan residents can only take a certain amount of money with them out if the country. It is some small amount like $500.00. Last January, there were hardly any Venezuelan tourists at The Mill where we stayed whereas in previous years I remember my wife and I almost getting stampeded by 5 Venezuelan 20 somethings coming out of the Gucci store in O'stad, each having two Gucci shopping bags in their hands. Not any more!

Have a good one

Glenn

Yeah, I'll be staying on the island.