Aruba Beach
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Walking to Boca Catalina from Marriott?

Aruba since 1979
    http://www.shorediving.com/Earth/ABC/Aruba/index.htm
    (this is Lisa's)

and it is about 2 miles (maybe less) beyond the hi rise area
    ON the bus route!

I have a description and photos of the area at http://www.arubabound.com/dive/snorkeling.htm

If you are not agile and coordinated, like me , I suggest entering at Boca Catalina. There are a bunch of rocks

Catalina Cove

at the entry at Catalina Cove.

One more Catalina Cove question!

How easy is Catalina Cove for kids to snorkel? Is there a lot to see in shallow water? Are the waves calm? Are there things to avoid stepping on? Our kids are 7 and 10, and able to snorkel in easy water. Thanks.

Aruba since 1979
    there CAN be waves and some current.
    that being said, i have snorkeled there maybe 10 times and have only had it rough once and i was becoming seasick so i got out.

as lisa says entry to catalina cove is difficult with the rocks OUCH!
    the places in that cove where i was snorkeling were not more than 8'-12' deep.

you kids can snorkel in "easy water"......i would not rate this "easy" but a little bit more difficult than easy. it is worth a try imo. try moving south a bit to the easier entry spot "boca catalina".

and for the all time "easy kid friendly snorkel" there is Baby Beach about a half hour in the other direction than Boca Catalina.
    go on a weekday!
    andrea

Catalina Cove is fairly shallow but a difficult entry.

If the kids enter at Boca Catalina, like Andrea said, there are no waves. We have seen many Arubans swimming here with their young children.

Boca Catalina

The photo below was taken between BC and CC.

I have also seen them in the sandy entry area at BC. For extreme novices, seeing the bait fish and the pompano will be a thrill in itself. I also saw two starfish here on the sandy bottom in December. It will take some time for the kids to grow accustomed to wearing the mask on their face and breathing through the snorkel.

If parents are good swimmers and experienced snorkelers, you can swim hand and hand towards the north.
    Last edited by Arubalisa; 05-24-2010 at 11:23 PM.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12