Aruba Beach
Aruba Nights Island Guide
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: 15% service charge or not

15%

I find it presumptuous and often the 15% is not justified or earned. Recent visit to Iguana Joes a point in case..bad food, terrible service and absolutely filthy washrooms. In mentioning the washroom situation to the staff they shrugged it off with the comment " We don't use them here as yes they are dirty"

In situations like this why should we be forced to pay the 15%

Aquaman

agree with Daniel,if they charge you 15% thats what they get.One other thing,be careful some restaurants say that there is no 15% added on to your bill and its there.I think Gianna's is one of them.
    Last edited by DANNYO; 02-02-2009 at 08:14 PM.

I agree

Lisa, I do agree with you.
    Europe also includes a gratuity. I guess I have to understand how it works. I use to waitress and I lived from tips. I busted my ass and I made great money but sometimes you get people who are just cheap, cheap , cheap and It is not fair that I busted my chops and served them at 100% and I get nothing. On that note, those cheap people always requested me for a waitress, now how do you think I felt. I understand where many of you are coming from but in Aruba they are a melting pot of different nations and to be honest I feel that if the service charge came off the bill the waiters would not be happy with the outcome. Yes it is known to leave 15% in Aruba and people know it is on the bill and yes many restaurants try to cheat and those persons should be fired on the spot who say it is not a tip. But as a waiter any where people make little money and rely on tips. Many waiters want to change the system but would it be fair if they only got 5% from the table. No it wouldn't and wouldn't it look bad if a restaurant removed the 15% and then as I just said no tips are left then what do they have to add it again because everyone will quit. Its a sticky situation. I am hear to listen and respond to what I know and to make the best of what we can come up with at least at some restaurants.
    Capturing the passion and love of your special day in paradise.
    bellarubaphoto@yahoo.com

Angela,

Why are my regular places, regular places? Because my first experience was a good one. I was treated respectfully and honestly. Thus, I returned. And even if the first visit was not as good as it could have been, I will try a few more times (typically at least 3). Any restaurant can have a bad night here and there, as any of us can have a bad day at work. However, I've seen a little trend developing, one of diffident, disinterested staff, managers who can't be bothered, and plenty of excuses.

As a rule, I do not post bad reviews for the above mentioned reason. Nonetheless, I am considering revising this rule. People on this board and patrons in general deserve to know what to expect for their money.

Furthermore, the GOOD restaurants, with GREAT STAFF, FINE FOOD, and WARM HOSPITALITY deserve our business.

Aruba's Novelist in Residence (sometimes)
    http://www.bentpage.wordpress.com/

I think part of the issue is that the 15% does not necessarily go to the server. Some of the waiters/waitresses are hoping for additional money as they do not get any of the 15%. If you are forced to give 15% and it doesn't go for tips, there isn't much we can or should do about it. Not giving any more money!!
    I recognize that there are "cheap" people in this world, but when you remove the discretion of tiping, generally their is no incentive for good service. I recognize that this not true for all employees but I am making a general comment. If I have the discretion on tipping then there is a better chance that my waiter is going to work for his/her money.
    happiness is going to Aruba with your adult kids because they still want to come with their parents

Angela,

I see now that you post about some waiters wanting to change the system. This is confusing. I ate at a nice restaurant two weeks ago, no service charge. (I was free to tip according to my wishes.) Then if the waiters don't get X Y or Z amount they're going to quit? Huh?

So, change the system from what to what? Simple: Ditch the service charge, pay the waiters, and let customer tip based upon their experience.

Ah, what's the use? I'm going to shut up now and stick to the joints that treat me and Mrs. 44 right. The rest, they can pound sand.

Aruba's Novelist in Residence (sometimes)
    http://www.bentpage.wordpress.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Arubalisa View Post
    Do some countries, or locations, such as Miami, add the customary 15% gratuity because it is the main source of income for the server?

Is it customary in all countries that a server be left a gratuity if it is not added to their bill?
    When we were in Holland we started tipping 15% (there was no gratuity added to the bill)....and apparently, according to our Dutch friends, we were tipping way too much. They said the waiters there make a good wage and it is not necessary to tip as much as we normally did in the U.S. The Dutch gov't requires that all taxes and service charges be already included in the prices. So even though you don't see a separate line item on your bill for a service charge, you are paying it already in the price of what you ordered. Paris does it this way, too.

As far as South Beach....not every restaurant added the 15% but most did so we had to watch our bills closely.
    ~Amy~ - 35th trip to Aruba: New Years Eve 2017/2018 -- Zihuatanejo, MX: March 2018 -- Ireland: June/July 2018 --
    36th trip to Aruba: Sept. 2018

I agree with the artist in residence

I love it, there is no mistaken, you can take the boy out of philly...but you can't take philly out of the boy... couldn't disagree with your thinking.

Reniassance Island & Surf Club Lazy River
    Sannic, we are on the same page, or should I say same "book"...your thoughts are our thoughts EXACTLY !! Thanks. cindy and robo
    Last edited by cindyo; 02-01-2009 at 07:16 PM.

I agree

Randi I have to agree with you,
    It looks good and I am happy to bring this up to the board so everyone can get a good look at what people are saying.
    San Nick 44 Your words of wisdom are great and I am listening.
    Capturing the passion and love of your special day in paradise.
    bellarubaphoto@yahoo.com

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast