Aruba Beach
Aruba Nights Island Guide
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree31Likes

Thread: 1st and 2nd - 2 fools and carte blanche

Peg, I am with you. I love to fine dine, but my fine dining experience needs to be limited to 2.5 hours or so, lol.

Aruba since 1979
    2.5 hrs is too long for me.
    maybe it is addhd on my end, but 2 hrs is more than sufficient for me.
    dear husband can barely last 1.5.
    also too, i am not particularly wild about sitting with strangers.
    many will enjoy the opportunity of meeting and dining with strangers.
    not me though.

we have been on numerous cruises and a few times have been seated with some real snobs or real trash.
    it was quite uncomfortable.
    i prefer to sit with those i know

Quote Originally Posted by Aruba4ever View Post
    Peg, I am with you. I love to fine dine, but my fine dining experience needs to be limited to 2.5 hours or so, lol.

Andrea, I agree with you, limited is my upper limit. I too prefer about 2 hours from start to finish, I like to eat slow to make the hourly cost seem lower

45 minutes to an hour for me.

I may be able to handle that long of a meal as long as there were people to keep me entertained. Of course, it's not appropriate for the kids so we won't be trying it any time soon.
    Jacki ~ loving Aruba from NJ

Jacki, have you ever tried bringing your computer to dinner? I always thought, we would never be the parents that allow their child to play on the computer thru dinner but that is only because we had not tried it yet. We give our son his computer (mine actually) and some headphones and we could be there all night, lol.

Quote Originally Posted by Jacki View Post
    I may be able to handle that long of a meal as long as there were people to keep me entertained. Of course, it's not appropriate for the kids so we won't be trying it any time soon.
    Good point: these places are definitely not kid friendly and kids wouldn't have a good time. I think 2 Fools and CB specifically state they're 18+.

Quote Originally Posted by Aruba4ever View Post
    Jacki, have you ever tried bringing your computer to dinner? I always thought, we would never be the parents that allow their child to play on the computer thru dinner but that is only because we had not tried it yet. We give our son his computer (mine actually) and some headphones and we could be there all night, lol.
    Not my thing. No judgement at all, just not for me. We make a very big deal of no electronics at the dinner table. My kids are old enough to get that and engage in the dinner conversation. They are 11, 13 & 22
    Jacki ~ loving Aruba from NJ

Quote Originally Posted by act1966 View Post
    Good point: these places are definitely not kid friendly and kids wouldn't have a good time. I think 2 Fools and CB specifically state they're 18+.
    2 Fools and a Bull is 18 yrs and older.
    Carte Blanche is 21 yrs and older.
    ~Amy~ - 35th trip to Aruba: New Years Eve 2017/2018 -- Zihuatanejo, MX: March 2018 -- Ireland: June/July 2018 --
    36th trip to Aruba: Sept. 2018

I thought I'd chime in about these two...

We love both - to be honest, we were surprised this kind of dining was available the first time we came to Aruba... we had some preconceived notions about dining in the Caribbean and we were always a little wary of the "raves" based on experience with other islands (St. Thomas, Bart's, Martin, John's, Lucia, Kitt's etc.) so we booked and hoped for the best.

As I've said in other posts: Aruba has a disproportionate number of good restaurants for an island its size. We chalk this up to a number of factors:

* North Americans and Europeans visiting the island
    * South American and Caribbean influences and proximity
    * The rise of the "Food Network" - I'm not kidding... global cuisine has exploded because of exposure to different styles of cooking and presentation

I get it - it's not for everybody... we like both for vastly different reasons:

* Carte Blanche is more about the food and less about the social - even the way the restaurant is set up is to focus on the kitchen and the prep.
    * 2 Fools And A Bull is about the "experience" - it's like an insane dinner party where anything can happen and encouraged to happen... breaks between courses are on the back porch so you can mingle. That's not to take away from the food though: excellent.

I'll add "Kitchen Table" and "White Modern Cuisine" to this list - they are all doing unusual things and lifting the food scene on the island to great heights through innovation, superior service and "event" dining.

I think they also contributed, in a small way, to our decision to buy in Aruba. We thought, "If they're pulling this kind of dining off, something interesting is going on..."

We don't dine this way all the time but it's really nice to have it available and fun for guests we host to experience.

And, yeah, as others have said: they're a time commitment but we've never regretted a minute at any of them and they've certainly provided some of the most memorable dining experiences we've had in Aruba or anywhere for that matter.

But... I'll catch you at the Mickey D's drive thru and arm wrestle you for the fries any day.

Oink.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast