Aruba Beach
Aruba Nights Island Guide
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree15Likes

Thread: Act1966's dining adventures Feb 2017

Act1966's dining adventures Feb 2017

I haven't been as diligent about writing a trip report this time as we've been crazy busy at home and since we arrived on island but better late than never...

Uneventful flight from Toronto on WestJet but PACKED... we arrived at QB and the customs line was snaking up and down the top of the escalator - and that was the Happy Flow line! Yikes. Caught up with Michael form Tierra Del Sol as he was right behind us in line and a couple stopped us to ask if we'd been on a TV show. I immediately broke out into song.

The Spouse's parents (aka The Outlaws) have been down here since the beginning of January - we flew them down and gave them the house for three weeks to celebrate their fiftieth anniversary. Naturally, everything was chaos for the first few days. Lesson learned: don't expect everyone to understand home monitoring and automation the minute they get in the middle of it.

We had two cross-over days with The Outlaws so we treated them to dinner at Yemanja on the first night (wonderful) and Flying Fishbone on the third night (superb) - we stayed in and barbecued on the second night. They loved Aruba (of course) and my mother-in-law started balling when they had to leave.

Since then we've be running around doing things for the house (stuff degrades really quickly on the island - it's all the salt in the air) and trying to decompress from the frantic Toronto life.

The Spouse celebrated a birthday and we headed to "BLT" at the Ritz for it. Here are some pictures:

https://goo.gl/photos/e8cHM53GvLkJCyxa6

Dinner was fantastic - probably the best steak we've every had - but really, really, REALLY expensive. Not for the feint of wallet, for sure.

Other than that, Superfood, Ling's, pool, Do It Center, pool and cocktails... so far, so good.
    Last edited by act1966; 02-03-2017 at 11:05 AM. Reason: I hate autocorrect

Dinner at Flying Fishbone with The Outlaws...

https://goo.gl/photos/jqMXK7iC9JVEH3NQ9

Quote Originally Posted by Pegmeister View Post
    Sounds good! Even home maintenance would be more fun in Aruba, I imagine. How is the atmosphere at BLT? In looking at the website I really couldn't get a feel for what it was like.
    Hi Peg - it was weird: when we first went in, I was a little turned off by the music that was playing - it was all 80s - and I have this predefined expectation that a steakhouse should be playing jazz or something more subtle. But a few cocktails fixed all that LOL

The atmosphere is the same as when we went when the Ritz first opened - LOTS of space - a little too much. I can't remember what the name of the restaurant was back then but the focus was definitely on seafood and now it's steak.

We also ate inside (bugs) so the outside might be a little warmer (literally and figuratively).
    Last edited by act1966; 02-03-2017 at 11:07 AM.

We ended up going to Phillip's Animal Garden while the Outlaws were down. Our neighbour had been taken care of a wild peacock that another neighbour didn't like - the peacock "disappeared" and our Dutch neighbour found it and turned it over to Phillip for safekeeping. It's amazing the work they're doing there but also a little depressing - what sort of lunatic illegally imports a reindeer to a Caribbean island?!?

Anyhoo... we bundled the Outlaws off for their return home and settled down into what's now becoming our routine.

Pool time, house fixes and dinners.

We hit Tierra Del Sol for happy hour and dinner last night. And, little did we know, an all-Canadian reunion. Forum member mmattalo was there with his wife, Dorothy, and we met another Canuck named Richard who had seen us on a flight last year talking about the house we'd bought. Small world....and the Canadians are everywhere!

I started with corn-crab chowder and had Dover sole prepared table-side (fantastic) for a main and The Spouse started with a pasta/bacon/morel app and had the osso bucco for the umpteenth time. Not sure they need to bring us menus anymore. I mentioned to our fellow Canadians that I hope they don't take the osso bucco off the menu as The Spouse will jump off the top of the Lighthouse.

Pics of the dinner:

https://goo.gl/photos/5MUPTaTtuHtKqvni8

Yes, I'm that lunatic that takes pictures of the food. Thanks, Outlaws!

The weather is beautiful and back to the stereotypical Aruba climate with rain/overcast in the wee hours but all gone by 8 am. One or two clouds during the day to break up the sun. Perfect.

A nice day tooling around the island. We hit Ling's and PriceSmart. Bought a laundry hamper and enough toilet paper for the entire island. Bulk excitement!

Pool time and then we hit the "new" Amuse Bistro. Some pics:

https://goo.gl/photos/Jr6w36x2cFEYr6DR6

While the meal was good, I think they're going to find it tough drawing people to the location. It was a $35 taxi ride from Noord. It was only one-third full on a Saturday night.

On a terrifying note, someone is posting on Facebook that black widow spiders have been discovered on the island. Ugh. More RAID!!

We were also updated on some of the behind-the-scenes goings on at Madame Janette's. Juicy!

Live from Alfie's!

Act1966's dining adventures Feb 2017-alfies.jpg

The poutine is AWESOME!! They're playing something called the Superbowl in the background so we all broke out in the Canadian national anthem. Trump has put us on the no-fly list now.

A busy day around the house and did some upgrades to the pool. It's amazing how you also pack your bad hoarding habits from home.

Some pool time and then we hit Alfie's to check it out. The food was great and the owners, Amal and Peter, were wonderful. We'll definitely be back - great for a casual night out. Some pics:

https://goo.gl/photos/YNBS89czX4gCZPh5A

We had three different kinds of poutine: Traditional, The Canadian and The Vite-Vite. All were awesome but the Vite-Vite was the winner by a nose - we think it was the green pepper and ground beef combination. The wings were deep-fry style and came with a bunch of sauces. Licking plates is acceptable. All washed down with beers - sadly, no Canadian beers... yet... come on, Canada, show Aruba how beer is DONE!!!

One of the pictures is us catching the SuperBowl half-time show. Lady Gaga was subtly rebellious and put on a great show. The bar was full and about half the tables too. Alfie's isn't fancy so leave your couture gowns and tuxes at home! They have open mic nights ("NOT karaoke!!" per Amal).

Here's their website:

https://www.alfiesinaruba.com/

It's located downtown.

Headed back home and caught an episode of, what else? Hoarders. Yikes.
    Last edited by act1966; 02-06-2017 at 09:20 AM.

A different day...

We headed out to find a beach umbrella and hard-sided cooler but couldn't find an umbrella that looked like it could withstand the Aruba winds so we decided to wait and get something back home in Toronto. Has anybody used one of these?

http://www.sklz.com/sport-brella/spo...d=sport-brella

Naturally, because the S Ford shopping and delivery experience was so good, we went back and bought a chair. Same deal - delivery was right behind us as we arrived home. Still gobsmacked at that!

Did a victory lap in the pool after and spent some time in the sun.

Our neighbour hosts Quiz Night at the Plaza Cafe in the Seaport Mall and had invited us to join in on the fun. We agreed to hit "Casa Tua" beforehand as it's right next to the pub.

We'd been to Casa Tua in Palm Beach and, frankly, it was terrible: generic "eye-talian" the quality of which you'd expect to find on an economy airline. BUT, we'd read on the forum that the downtown location was better and decided to give it a shot. Ugh. Same tasteless, microwave-esque, lukewarm garbage. We might as well have been eating at Sbarro. If Aruba fails at anything, it's Italian food. The kitchen also refused to give our neighbour a half and half pizza because one of the halves she wanted couldn't be done that way. We didn't bother asking... so she just settled for a four-cheese and Hawaiian split. Lacklustre like everything else. The Spouse still didn't trust CT because of the Palm Beach experience so just ordered French Onion Soup and I went out on a limb and ordered lasagna which tasted like Chef-Boyardee. Such a great location but definitely a tourist trap and should be avoided. Some crime scene photos:

https://goo.gl/photos/SNpocy7Vy5wyD3Q7A

We didn't bother speaking to the restaurant (we did in Palm Beach). What were we going to say? "Close your doors"? "Stop calling this Italian food"? "Start an airline catering business"?

Sometimes, you just have to let it die.

Off to the Quiz Night!

Don't let that serene, Dutch veneer fool you: the Dutch are VERY competitive.

The questions were in English and Dutch so we weren't completely lost. Our neighbor, now forever known as "Ms Quiz", paired us with some of her friends and we were off and running. After the first round we were in eighth place out of eleven but we came roaring back in the second round to place fourth! Not bad for a couple of non-Dutch-speaking Canucks.

We won funniest answer of the night (the prize being a boozy jug of sangria):

"What is the first year of marriage typically called?"
    "Annus Horribilis"

<<rimshot>> <<-- The Spouse, not amused

We might have ended up in third place but I screwed up on a few questions in the last round:

Longest river in Italy - Correct answer: "Po"... I answered "Tiber"
    And then some lyric I mistakenly attributed to "Baby's Got Back" but it was actually from "All About the Bass". The Kids and their music. But we'll take fourth.... this time...a pic from the pub:

https://goo.gl/photos/JmvGW4LeniyKgLee7

Made some new friends and then headed home.
    Last edited by act1966; 02-08-2017 at 08:58 AM.

What A Difference A Day Makes...

Lots of stuff around the house in the morning and then we went out to see our contractor's house. Wow! Probably one of the nicest houses on the island Very "Mediterranean Villa" with a pool that goes under the house (there's a bridge between two parts of the house and the pool flows under it). Stunning.

Then we went and looked at a house that's listed just west of us. It was okay but everything paled in comparison after seeing our contractor's home.

Had a quick late-day dip in the pool, caught up with the neighbour and decided to go for Mexican at Paseo Herencia. Yes, Mexican mall food at a place called Kalin's:

http://www.kalinsaruba.com

And, wow, am I ever glad we did. The food was wonderful. I don't know what it is about that mall but it seems to produce some great eating (Kalin's, Taste of Belgium, the old White Modern).

We started with guacamole, hot sauce and chips (as you can see in the picture, most of it was eaten by the time I took a picture); the neighbour ordered ceviche (astounding - I'd put it up there with Carte Blanche's ceviche), The Spouse had beef and chicken fajitas (really good) and I ordered something called a "Chiliquila" which was like a Mexican frittata. Oink!

Everybody ate their plates clean. The margaritas were 'okay' (nothing compares to homemade from scratch) and they got The Spouse's martini correct on the second try (It's not really a martini so much as it's iced Grey Goose, shaken and then strained into a martini glass with a lemon twist - no vermouth or olives...it seems to throw a lot of the bartenders).

Some pics of the debauchery:

https://goo.gl/photos/LfzTeMF9vjcceSxm6

A short ride home, some tube and then we hit the sack.

A great day!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast