Aruba Beach
Aruba Nights Island Guide

Airport Pastechi

Hey there!
    I have a friend who lived in Aruba for quite some time. I was there with her last August, and had the time of my life...what fun! She has since gotten a "promotion" (some promotion!) and lives in Georgia now. She and I have BOTH been missing some of the island cuisine there, and I'd love to recreate the airport pastechi - the chicken ones. They're a bit different from the others, and I was wondering if anyone could clue me in a bit to what might be in the filling? And, what's your FAVORITE pastry recipe for the outside? I've seen a few, but am not sure where to start.
    Thanks so much!

Quote Originally Posted by Lkfarkas View Post
    And, what's your FAVORITE pastry recipe for the outside? I've seen a few, but am not sure where to start. Thanks so much!

Any Aruba beach...

Sorry I don't have a recipe for chicken filling.

Quote Originally Posted by Arubalisa View Post
    Makes 4 Dozen
    4 cups of flour
    1 T. of baking powder
    1 T. sugar
    2 T. vegetable shortening
    2 T. margarine
    1 t. salt
    1 egg beaten
    1 cup of water

Put all ingredients into a large bowl except water. Mix well. Add water, a little bit at a time to form dough. When the dough is pliable, knead it well.

Prepare the meat filling as follows:

1 lb. finely chopped beef without fat
    1 T. margarine
    1 medium onion, finely chopped
    1 small green sweet pepper, finely chopped
    1 celery stalk, finely chopped
    2 T. raisins
    1 T. piccalilli
    Hot red pepper, finely chopped, to taste; preferably Madame Jeanette
    Soy sauce, freshly ground black pepper, cumin, nutmeg, to taste
    In large frying pan combine all ingredients except beef. Cook over medium heat, stirring till well combined and onion and celery are soft. Add beef and cook till well combined while stirring.
    Roll the dough into a very thick sheet, then cut out circles about three inches in diameter. Place one tablespoon filling in the center of one pastry circle. Top it with a second circle. Lightly moisten edges and press the circles together. Fold or roll the edges over slightly and flute them as pie crust. Fry the pastechis in deep, hot vegetable oil until golden brown. They may be prepared in advance and heated in the oven just before serving.

We ate Patechi at the breakfast buffet at the Radisson and they were filled with Spinach, not spicy (which I prefer) and delicious. So adapt this recipe to your own taste.