Aruba Beach
Aruba Nights Island Guide
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: Amsterdam Manor Beach Bar

Amsterdam Manor Beach Bar

My friends just spent a day at Eagle Beach and told me about ordering drinks at the bar. A $6.25 drink was charged $8.50. My friend asked if she had already added the gratuity and the server said "yes". That is a 36% tip. How many of us leave a tip as well...WOW! I will be paying more attention in future. Also, a can of ginger ale was $3.50. This seems excessive or am I out of touch?
    Stella

Aruba since 1979
    yikes.
    Quote Originally Posted by BillStellaR View Post
    My friends just spent a day at Eagle Beach and told me about ordering drinks at the bar. A $6.25 drink was charged $8.50. My friend asked if she had already added the gratuity and the server said "yes". That is a 36% tip. How many of us leave a tip as well...WOW! I will be paying more attention in future. Also, a can of ginger ale was $3.50. This seems excessive or am I out of touch?
    Stella

Then you don't want to go to the Hyatt. It's worse there. Last time I was at their outside bar having a drink while friends gambled the total was $12 for one drink. All hotel bars - whether in Aruba, U.S., or Europe - are high priced at their bars. It's just a given. I think I paid $3 for a diet coke at the pool bar at the Ritz in Ft. Lauderdale last fall.

I also know that Amsterdam Manor only charges the usual 15% at their beach bar for food and drinks. I've seen it on my receipts many times when I run a tab - there is a 15% service charge plus tax. Your friend should have asked for a receipt - there was a miscommunication somewhere.....
    Last edited by ~Amy~; 02-17-2012 at 08:26 PM.
    ~Amy~ - 35th trip to Aruba: New Years Eve 2017/2018 -- Zihuatanejo, MX: March 2018 -- Ireland: June/July 2018 -- 36th trip to Aruba: Sept. 2018

At the Radisson...

$8 is about the going price for a frozen drink at the Radisson.
    Amstel Bright was I believe $5 (NO half price on that at happy hour).
    A glass of Kendall Jackson Vintners Reserve was $12.

15% "service charge" is added automatically.

Aruba since 1979
    15% gratuity is added at the pool bar at LaCabana

The Amsterdam Manor beach bar does have 2 for 1 happy hour drinks, so that helps a little.
    Not sure when, but we will be back

I don't mind a 15% or 20% gratuity but 36%??? Yes I know that beach bars charge more but this particular drink is advertised at $6.25 and that is on their new menu. So the menu is not out of date.

Quote Originally Posted by BillStellaR View Post
    I don't mind a 15% or 20% gratuity but 36%??? Yes I know that beach bars charge more but this particular drink is advertised at $6.25 and that is on their new menu. So the menu is not out of date.
    AMBR charges a 15% service fee at their beach bar. I stay there twice a year and see this fee on my drink receipts daily. Again, there must have been some sort of miscommunication by one or both parties.

I'm wondering if the 15% was accidentally charged twice....once on the first total and then again on the new total. Your friend should have asked for a receipt - they will give you one for drinks if asked.
    ~Amy~ - 35th trip to Aruba: New Years Eve 2017/2018 -- Zihuatanejo, MX: March 2018 -- Ireland: June/July 2018 -- 36th trip to Aruba: Sept. 2018

Eagle Beach, Baby Beach, Arashi Beach Tierra Del Sol golf course

Smile

We are not big drinkers. I buy most of my beer at the grocery store. Its a lot cheaper and they will even let you mix and match what you get. Last year I got a couple of 6 packs with 2 Amstel brights, 2 polar and 2 Balashi. Store them in the fridge then put them in the freezer about 15 minutes before going to the beach. We generaly go to the beach bar where we are staying for a happy hour cocktail as well.

Amy, I understand that 15% is charged automatically but this was no mistake and the server was questioned about it. This was a "rip off".

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast