Aruba Beach
Aruba Nights Island Guide
Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By Andrea J.
  • 1 Post By Andrea J.

Thread: Aruba Art...(Fair)/ San Nicolas

Question Aruba Art...(Fair)/ San Nicolas

While I realize the art fair is not going to be going on when we are there...do they keep all the paintings on the buildings all year long? I would LOVE to see this. My 9 year old is a "very good" artist (not just my motherly opinion, she has actually been tested) and would just love to see these paintings. That would make her day.

If they are there all the time...where exactly are they located? Do you just park somewhere and walk around the area looking at them or are they all spread out?

Oh, I guess should also ask...I remember reading (on this forum I believe) that San Nicolas is not a very "good/safe" area to be in and that it is the one place they actually allow prostitution? Not really a place I want to adventure in with a 9 year old if it's still the same (I'm thinking it was an older thread???)

Aruba since 1979
    i cannot comment re: the art in San Nic. I do not have an answer about the buildings.
    I hope someone does.

To the best of my knowledge prostitution has SLOWED considerably in the red light district.
    Prostitution in San Nic was booming in the years of the refinery heyday.
    It is far from booming these days.
    It will have no effect on your touring with your child.

I have numerous friends that live in San Nic and we visit them often in Aruba in the evenings.
    Never have we felt unsafe.
    San Nic is really not a bustling tourist area, but is a bustling town in Aruba.
    My guess is that maybe 1/3 to 1/2 of the island's residents live there, in their neighborhood of which is their home and of which they take great pride in.

Quote Originally Posted by AudiaS4 View Post
    Oh, I guess should also ask...I remember reading (on this forum I believe) that San Nicolas is not a very "good/safe" area to be in and that it is the one place they actually allow prostitution? Not really a place I want to adventure in with a 9 year old if it's still the same (I'm thinking it was an older thread???)

Quote Originally Posted by Andrea J. View Post
    i cannot comment re: the art in San Nic. I do not have an answer about the buildings.
    I hope someone does.

To the best of my knowledge prostitution has SLOWED considerably in the red light district.
    Prostitution in San Nic was booming in the years of the refinery heyday.
    It is far from booming these days.
    It will have no effect on your touring with your child.

I have numerous friends that live in San Nic and we visit them often in Aruba in the evenings.
    Never have we felt unsafe.
    San Nic is really not a bustling tourist area, but is a bustling town in Aruba.
    My guess is that maybe 1/3 to 1/2 of the island's residents live there, in their neighborhood of which is their home and of which they take great pride in.
    I really really want to see this art area. It looks so unique and beautiful. I can't believe you haven't been to see it yet Andrea...especially with having friends in the area. Can you possibly ask any of your friends maybe the street names?

Check this page out http://www.aruba.com/blog/street-art...cted-caribbean

Aruba since 1979
    last november when we were in aruba, i was sick for the first week and the 2nd week we had our grandchildren with us.
    i did not venture much farther than tropicana, downtown and eagle beach areas.

my husband contacted our friend ernie who lives just a spit from Baby Beach and ernie told him:

continue down rte 1 (the main drag) it turns into Bernadstraat. @ police station turn right onto Zeppenfeldstraat and continue straight.

look around and you will see some of the art.
    and there is a museum down that way too.

Aruba since 1979

3 locations provided from my friend janet.

Stuyvesantstraat street in front of the library

Caya Dick Copper the street in front of the post office or old dimas buildibg

Theatrestraat the street behind the library (were the wall is)

QUOTE=AudiaS4;320319]I really really want to see this art area. It looks so unique and beautiful. I can't believe you haven't been to see it yet Andrea...especially with having friends in the area. Can you possibly ask any of your friends maybe the street names?

Check this page out http://www.aruba.com/blog/street-art...cted-caribbean[/QUOTE]

I am also interested in any further info anyone might have on locations of some of these murals. I especially would like to locate the iguana mural/sculpture that was done by Bordalo II.

CK1
    Anywhere where I can see the turquoise-blue ocean
    From Angelo Limon's Newsletter:

New Mural in San Nicolas

Local artist were invited to paint a new mural in San Nicolas.

It took them less than a week to complete a beautiful and artistic mural using paint that was donated by a local hardware store.
    Inspiration for the mural was the cultural heritage city of the island – San Nicolas.

The mural incorporates a chameleon and one of the oldest buildings in the district Nicolas Store, which was a popular shop for locals decades ago. The nicolas store has now been remodeled and is now a hip cafe offering healthy foods.

Pass through the main streets of San Nicolas and see the new art project and different other murals painted by local and international artists. (Photos at link)

http://www.vacationsbyaruba.com/news-updates-in-aruba/
    Last edited by CK1; 04-08-2018 at 05:04 PM.