Aruba Beach
Aruba Nights Island Guide
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: Bingo's - October 2015

Bingo's - October 2015

We were winging it last night (no reservation) and decided to hit something around Barney's and, if we couldn't find anything, just go to Barney's. A few forum members had mentioned Bingo's and our neighbour here also likes it so we decided to give it a whirl.

Even though we didn't have a reservation, the hostess didn't bat an eyelash and cheerfully let us pick our table and showed us to our seats. Lots of locals eating there (or tourists have started to wear jeans and ties). Loved the pub atmosphere and it was active enough at the bar and in the restaurant to keep it lively without being oppressive.

Note: tables on the inside, near the bar, allow smoking - if you don't smoke and can't stand the smell, sit on the lanai (it's enclosed).

We ordered club soda as there's no room for hangovers when you're setting up a new house...the last thing either of us wants is to be schlepping stuff from Price Smart in 90 degree heat with a hangover. Ugh.

Note #2: everything on the menu comes in small and large portions - this is awesome if you're not feeling extremely hungry or want to try a bunch of things.

The club sodas arrived and they were giant - they have to be the largest serving on the island - draft mug sized. Love it... I hate tiny pops... I drink water like a mad man during dinner and it's nice not to have to call the server over for more water every few minutes.

For appetizers, I had the tuna tataki with greens, soy sauce and wasabi. Excellent! And The Spouse had Mushroom au Fondue with pumpkin bread - a delicious combination and, judging from the licked bowl, pretty satisfying.

For mains, I had the Garlic Gamba (shrimp sautéed in garlic with pasta a vegetables) and The Spouse had the rib eye that was the size of a house with fries and mushroom sauce. Everything was fantastic.

Dessert for me was deep fried ice cream (which I haven't had since the heyday of "Chi-Chi's" - does anybody remember that place? It was essentially Ponderosa if it went Mexican) which came with something called, "Captain Morgan Strawberries" and whipped cream. Outstanding... Chi-Chi's would be proud. The Spouse had a wonderful chocolate mousse with whipped cream.

Okay - Barney's versus Bingo's: both are great, casual restaurants but I'd give the edge to Bingo's... we liked the atmosphere (particularly the lighting) better, the waitresses were a little more attentive than the staff at Barney's and, the true test, the vegetables were done to perfection at Bingo's: lightly sautéed but still crunchy. Barney's overcooked them when we were there in February. But, for this level of dining, both are good choices.

Bingo's washrooms were very clean. Parking was bit of a challenge - we found the last spot (right by the door!) when we arrived.

I love Bingo’s tuna tataki. Seems like I always order it at least once per trip. Glad you enjoyed Bingo’s - we've been going there since they first opened about 10 years ago and it's still one of our favorites for both food and drinks (we meet alot of our local friends there for late night drinks and conversation - and I feel comfortable going there alone. )
    ~Amy~® - 35th trip to Aruba: New Years Eve 2017/2018 -- Zihuatanejo, MX: March 2018 -- Ireland: June/July 2018 --
    36th trip to Aruba: Sept. 2018

They have on the menu their own version of escargot but instead of snails its shrimp. Never had it but I'm dying to try it! I love the fact that you can order small or large portions of anything whether its salads, appetisers, entry or dessert. The service is much better than Barney's and they have a section that is smoke free where as in Barney's if you are a non smoker, you will have to tuff it out for an hour. The food is excellent at both establishments Barney's and Bingoes but I think I prefer Bingoes. Less crowded too!

CK1
    Anywhere where I can see the turquoise-blue ocean
    I have been to Bingo with friends a few times. Loved it! The staff was very friendly and charming.

Did you notice the bathroom signs?

Quote Originally Posted by CK1 View Post
    I have been to Bingo with friends a few times. Loved it! The staff was very friendly and charming.

Did you notice the bathroom signs?
    Yes!! LOL

CK1
    Quote Originally Posted by act1966 View Post
    Yes!! LOL
    Glad it made you giggle!

I remember something funny about the bathroom signs when I went 2 years ago but I just can't remember. I will have to go again..

Aruba since 1979
    http://www.tripadvisor.com/LocationP...ord_Aruba.html
    bathroom door signs.

maybe offensive to some.

Quote Originally Posted by ace2063 View Post
    I remember something funny about the bathroom signs when I went 2 years ago but I just can't remember. I will have to go again..

CK1
    Quote Originally Posted by ace2063 View Post
    I will not reveal what it is. So the surprise will be much sweeter!

Thanks Andrea. Now I remember.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast