Aruba Beach
Aruba Nights Island Guide
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Angry BUCANEER -vs- wacky wahoo's

Most of you who read this forum know that I am a hug fan of the Bucaneer restaurant. I have recently found out from a very reliable source of a very upsetting story. The Bucaneer has been in business for 25 years and has never raised their prices on their menu always drawing people to their well known and established restaurant. Of course most of the success to the restaurant comes from Josef the owner had a vision and made his dream come true. He designed a beautiful atmosphere an out standing menu and hired a very personable and friendly staff. Josef being the kind hearted person he is put a lot of trust in his employees with the operations of his business and more importantly his secret recipes that he has worked so hard on over the past 25+ years. I was informed recently of a sad story that really hit me when I was told. The head chef of the Bucaneer who has been their for many years turned his back and left the Bucaneer to open wacky wahoo's. Now don't get me wrong there is nothing wrong with someone wanting to gain experience somewhere and eventually moving on and opening a business for themselves. This went down a little differently. Josef who had taken this guy under his wing shared with him many of his secret recipes that he left with and is currently using in his new restaurant wacky wahoos. This guy was like a son to Josef and he took it to heart when this happened.

I know some of you have been to wacky wahoos but being a BUCS fan I have to say that I did plan on trying wacky wahoos until I heard this story. I am now boycotting wacky wahoo's!!!

What I heard was that the owners of Wacky Wahoo's were the chef from Hadicuri's before it moved into its new location. Although I have only been to Bucaneer's once, from what I recall it was primarily a steak house and Wacky Wahoo's is a fish restaurant.
    happiness is going to Aruba with your adult kids because they still want to come with their parents

I don't know anyone personally at the Buccaneer so I don't have any comments to make on the story.

But I do know the owner's of Wacky Wahoo's used to work (own?) at the old Hadicurari restaurant before the Government and the Marriott forced them out (now there is a new Hadicurari which is not even close to being anything like the old one.) We missed the old restaurant and were excited to hear that they opened Wacky Wahoo's since we used to enjoy Hadicurari many years ago.
    ~Amy~ - 35th trip to Aruba: New Years Eve 2017/2018 -- Zihuatanejo, MX: March 2018 -- Ireland: June/July 2018 --
    36th trip to Aruba: Sept. 2018

Quote Originally Posted by Randi View Post
    Although I have only been to Bucaneer's once, from what I recall it was primarily a steak house and Wacky Wahoo's is a fish restaurant.
    They do serve steak but the Buccaneer is mainly known for its seafood.
    ~Amy~ - 35th trip to Aruba: New Years Eve 2017/2018 -- Zihuatanejo, MX: March 2018 -- Ireland: June/July 2018 --

hmmm not sure. Is the guys name Harold?

Amy, I have to agree with you. Went to Hadicurari last December and was sadly disappointed! We did enjoy the old restaurant's food better and do look forward to trying Wacky Wahoo's one of our next two trips. Probably go in Feb. when we are without our "carnivore" sons!!
    happiness is going to Aruba with your adult kids because they still want to come with their parents

Amy, I have to agree with you. Went to Hadicurari last December and was sadly disappointed! We did enjoy the old restaurant's food better and do look forward to trying Wacky Wahoo's one of our next two trips. Probably go in Feb. when we are without our "carnivore" sons!!
    Go to the Bucaneer, you will be much happier there.

http://www.buccaneeraruba.com/

We won't even go there - it is a completely different restaurant, different atmosphere, etc. that is now catering to the Marriottville crowd. Only the name (Hadicurari) and the location are the same.

Wacky Wahoo's is great - we've been there several times now since they've opened. Reminds me a little of the old place except you're not on the beach anymore.

We ate at the Buccaneer in Sept. - shrimp cocktail was not so good (definitely overcooked) but the catch of the day (Barracuda) was outstanding and made up for the bad appetizer!

Quote Originally Posted by arubamark View Post
    hmmm not sure. Is the guys name Harold?
    Harald and Rossanna (Roxy) are the owners at Wacky Wahoo's.

Amy, I read your report on Restaurantsaruba.com. I hear what you are saying! And I totally agree with you and I am a "marriott" crowd but not really a "marriott crowd", if you know what I mean!

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast