Aruba Beach
Aruba Nights Island Guide
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Randi View Post
    Amy, I read your report on Restaurantsaruba.com. I hear what you are saying! And I totally agree with you and I am a "marriott" crowd but not really a "marriott crowd", if you know what I mean!

I know exactly what you mean!
    ~Amy~ - 35th trip to Aruba: New Years Eve 2017/2018 -- Zihuatanejo, MX: March 2018 -- Ireland: June/July 2018 -- 36th trip to Aruba: Sept. 2018

Quote Originally Posted by ~Amy~ View Post
    Harald and Rossanna (Roxy) are the owners at Wacky Wahoo's.
    Yes and he is the former chef of the Bucanneer. Not sure how that other restaurant comes in to play there might be some connection. I will get some more information on it shortly, directly from Aruba.

I've been to both the Buccaneer and Wacky Wahoo's several times and their menus/recipes seem very different to me (but I'm not a chef so what do I know?!? )
    ~Amy~ - 35th trip to Aruba: New Years Eve 2017/2018 -- Zihuatanejo, MX: March 2018 -- Ireland: June/July 2018 -- 36th trip to Aruba: Sept. 2018

Quote Originally Posted by arubamark View Post
    Go to the Bucaneer, you will be much happier there.

http://www.buccaneeraruba.com/
    I was disappointed with the Buccaneer when I was there over the summer. I heard great things from several people but I thought the food was below average.

Sorry to hear! I guess every place has their good nights and bad ones. I have never had a complaint in the last 11 years but I am a creature of habit. I always order the same thing because I love it so much, I would hate to change it up.

Harold & his wife started a Sunday BBQ at Hadicurari while still employed by the Bucaneer. When Marriot expanded they raised the rent for the Hadicuari location. Harold & Roxanne decided to open their own restaurant.

Have been to both Bucaneer & Wacky Wahoo recently, we don't see any similarity in the menu. Harold & Roxanne have their own boat & go fishing most every morning. Their catch of the day is just that.

Keep in mind there is 2 sides to every story. One reason Harold said to us for leaving the Bucaneer was he was not allowed to change the menu in any way.

Quote Originally Posted by arubamark View Post
    Yes and he is the former chef of the Bucanneer. Not sure how that other restaurant comes in to play there might be some connection. I will get some more information on it shortly, directly from Aruba.
    Tom & Karen

Next Trip: Jan. 6 - April 7

Quote Originally Posted by Tom & Karen View Post
    Harold & his wife started a Sunday BBQ at Hadicurari while still employed by the Bucaneer. When Marriot expanded they raised the rent for the Hadicuari location. Harold & Roxanne decided to open their own restaurant.

Have been to both Bucaneer & Wacky Wahoo recently, we don't see any similarity in the menu. Harold & Roxanne have their own boat & go fishing most every morning. Their catch of the day is just that.

Keep in mind there is 2 sides to every story. One reason Harold said to us for leaving the Bucaneer was he was not allowed to change the menu in any way.
    I agree there are 2 side to every story but not being able to change the menu was not the real reason and I am sure they would not say what they real reason was. They are currently making some changes to the menu now - doesn't make sense.

I had many persons asking to come on this board to handle this situation. As I am the daughter-in –law of Josef. I just think that everyone has something to say, freedom of speech, so go ahead and wonder. You are absolutely right Karen about 2 sides to every story but I was not the one who brought up the story. The Buccaneer owners are simple people who have gone on continuing the Buccaneer tradition of serving their guests and wish Harold a good success in his journey.
    By the way he did not leave because he wanted to change the menu he left for other reasons.
    Aruba Mark is a wonderful person who has spent over a decade at Buccaneer and I would love to thank him for being a loyal patron and anyone else who returns to our establishment.

Tom & Karen, you are right about the Hadicuari and Sunday’s. It truly doesn’t matter that Harold left the Buccaneer, Josef just took it to heart that he had to hear only 2 weeks before his grand opening that Harold was leaving, which was never mentioned that he was leaving the restaurant. It took some time to find the perfect chef to replace Josef’s place but Buccaneer is up and running with new menu items, new kids menu and specials of the day. (It was never about changing the menu). Now that Josef’s son Josef (Vasty) took over the restaurant because Josef Sr. retired, he is now making changes which in the past year a lot has been done. Franklin the Former chef of Hyatt and Tony Roma is now the Buccaneer Head Chef. He is in charge of cost control, prepares fabulous dishes and is in charge all together in the kitchen area. He is an outstanding chef with great ideas and with two great heads as my husbands and Franklin than I guess Buccaneer will be around for centuries to come.
    Capturing the passion and love of your special day in paradise.
    bellarubaphoto@yahoo.com

Angela,

Well said and thank you for clearing things up. We look forward top seeing you in April!

Mark

Reniassance Island & Surf Club Lazy River
    Wow, might have to add this to our list of "must try's" since there seems to be many positive write -ups. It doesn't matter to me who is the chef, you guys are all raving about it....I don't think I know where exactly it is..Angela, are you there every nite?

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast