Aruba Beach
Aruba Nights Island Guide
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree9Likes

Thread: Buccaneer

Buccaneer

I feel like this restaurant gets the most mixed reviews. We went three years ago but the kids were too tired and we rushed eating and we were seated on the dark old side. I would only go back if we could sit on the newer brighter side. But what do you like and not like there? I know some regulars love it there but many others say the food was dry and overlooked. Also my kids like fish tanks but don't love them enough to go just for the fish, they would rather be outside in Arawak Gardens at any of those restaurants watching live music or people watching. So, tell me what you love about this place. Oh, feel free to throw in opinions on Driftwood, we went 12 years ago and were unimpressed and never returned.
    Jen
    Owner 2 weeks Marriott Surf ClubNov 02, Jul 06, Jul 08, Oct 09, back in Aug 11
    Mom to DS Dec 06 and DD Dec 08

Aruba since 1979
    Paul and i have always been pleased with Buccaneer.
    i am not sure which side is the older darker side.
    we find both sides similarly lit and have no trouble with the lighting.
    we usually sit on the side to the LEFT of the bar, the room with the huge fish tanks.
    we dine at the Buc at least once during most visits.

a couple of times over the past few years we sat on the right side of the bar in the room with the smaller fish tanks at the tables/booths.

what i love about the place is the fish is always cooked to perfection, they have a wide variety of choices on the menu, the competent staff have been there forever, the pricing is good, the way they serve cabbage is out of this world, their sauces are terrific and many locals love the place.
    we do enjoy watching the fish in the large tank (morays and sea turtles are very entertaining).

it is a family restaurant …..it is unique.
    it is not the kind of place that one would classify as a "romantic setting."

Quote Originally Posted by littlejen22 View Post
    I feel like this restaurant gets the most mixed reviews. We went three years ago but the kids were too tired and we rushed eating and we were seated on the dark old side. I would only go back if we could sit on the newer brighter side. But what do you like and not like there? I know some regulars love it there but many others say the food was dry and overlooked. Also my kids like fish tanks but don't love them enough to go just for the fish, they would rather be outside in Arawak Gardens at any of those restaurants watching live music or people watching. So, tell me what you love about this place. Oh, feel free to throw in opinions on Driftwood, we went 12 years ago and were unimpressed and never returned.

Reniassance Island & Surf Club Lazy River
    In regards to Driftwood
    i too swore I would never return there.... I did after like 5 yrs... One of the best meals I have ever had in Aruba. They had a special for diners for a set price. Fish cooked several ways, desert, wine, app... All freaking outstanding. I URGE you to go again! The place was packed so it had to be well liked.

Eagle Beach to relax / Malmok, Boca Catalina & Arashi for snorkeling / Carte Blanche, Zeerovers, Sopranos Piano Bar, Kuku Kanuku & The Pata Pata Bar / The weekend flee market.
    Funny how people have very different experiences and views. We finally tried Buccaneer after many trips but were not impressed. Food was dry and we felt rushed. Driftwood we always visit and have always had very good food and service. We said we would give Buccaneer another shot, and we will.
    9th trip to Aruba in

Eagle Beach, Baby Beach, Arashi Beach Tierra Del Sol golf course
    We have only been to The Buccaneer and Driftwood one time with another couple. Neither seemed as good as the other restaurants we visit so we have not been back. Both were disappointing to all 4 of us. That said, you never know if they are just having an off day for some reason or your meal just got messed up. We did have a bad meal at Madame Janette and at Chalet Suisse, but it wasn't on our first (or 2nd, or 3rd) visit so we knew it wasn't normal and they made it right.

We went to Buccaneer once a few years back. I honestly don't remember much about the food, but the experience was awesome! The staff was wonderful with my kids and described what was in the tanks and let them go in the back to feed the fish
    Jacki ~ loving Aruba from NJ

Divi links, pool, beach, lighthouse, Arikok National Park, etc.
    Quote Originally Posted by cindyo View Post
    In regards to Driftwood
    i too swore I would never return there.... I did after like 5 yrs... One of the best meals I have ever had in Aruba. They had a special for diners for a set price. Fish cooked several ways, desert, wine, app... All freaking outstanding. I URGE you to go again! The place was packed so it had to be well liked.
    Cindyo - we always have the same experience with Driftwood. Best fresh catch on the island and the 3 course special is soooo worth it.

We have never been to Buccaneer so I can not comment on that.

Thanks for the comments of the Driftwood. It was on our short list for June.

I've been to Buccaneer three times over the last 10 years. The food is good and has not changed. I do think that prices have gone up a bit and are more in line with expensive Palm Beach prices although on the lower end of expensive. Our most recent visit might be our last for awhile. The service was really slow even with the restaurant being relatively empty. I have two kids, 8 and 10 years old and traveling with them is at a fact pace so the waiting for food and check was not welcome. Still, I'd recommend to anyone to give the Buccaneer a try and form your own opinion.

In June when we were on the island I suggested Buccaneer one evening, but at first no one wanted to go. During the next day on the beach, I saw my husband talking to someone we didn't know. He was laughing when I walked up and he said the gentleman gave him a 10% off coupon for the Buccaneer, so we decided to go.

We hadn't been there in many years, and I too don't know old side from new, as during our previous visits in the 90s we always sat on the same side.

The
    kids, even though older teenagers, enjoyed the fish tanks. I can't imagine the cost of keeping them up!!! When you first get there the outside decor reminds me of something you might find at an older Atlantic summer beach destination, maybe???? Since the place has been there for many years, maybe that's why I thought it was "dated" when I walked in. But that's part of its charm. Somewhere I read that someone said it was too dark. I think that adds to the "beneath the sea" ambiance.

The service for us was on par for the island. Attentive and friendly.

The food was good, although I didn't care for mine. I can't remember exactly what it was called, but it was beef in an alfredo type sauce with noodles. It's my fault I didn't like it, I don't normally care for beef in white cream sauce anyhow. Credit is given to my daughter for trying something different. She ordered a "fruits of the sea" type dish with pasta in herbed olive oil. We are not seafood eaters at home, and she tried all the different, strange to her, items on the dish. She gave most of it to her brother, and he said it was very good.

Tip for parents (or anyone drinking soft drinks): We found most restaurants in Aruba charge for refills of soft drinks. Our daughter often ordered iced tea and our son ordered Coke and he often got refills. Every restaurant at which we ate charged for those refills. Here at home, most places provide free refills, considering you get mostly ice in your glass, lol.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast