Aruba Beach
Aruba Nights Island Guide
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree9Likes

Thread: Buccaneer

the buccaneer have revised the menu, vasty the owner realized with all the new restaurants they needed the change.
    the new menu, very good.
    without a doubt their escargot is the best on the island!!

also you'll never wait for a cab, cab drivers have been part of the restaurant since my first stay, 23 yrs ago....

Quote Originally Posted by AUA1989 View Post
    Tip for parents (or anyone drinking soft drinks): We found most restaurants in Aruba charge for refills of soft drinks. Our daughter often ordered iced tea and our son ordered Coke and he often got refills. Every restaurant at which we ate charged for those refills. Here at home, most places provide free refills, considering you get mostly ice in your glass, lol.
    Isn't charging for refills common throughout establishments in Aruba?

We had never heard of a "free refill" until we moved out of NJ to the midwest.

I'm used to free refills at home (Boston) too! In some restaurants you could have 1/4 left in your glass and before you know it the waitress/waiter is bringing you a new fresh one. So it's very different going to Aruba and not having this luxury. Especially if you are addicted to diet coke like me. In Aruba my kids get one tonic and then it's water. Same goes for me.

Aruba since 1979
    no where in aruba have i gotten free soft drink refills.
    i tend to mostly drink iced tea at restaurants or water and wine.
    and gretch.........i know what you mean by "tonic".............apparently we in MA are the only ones in the world that call soda pop tonic.
    now that i am in florida full time, i have gotten to calling it soda.

Restaurants in Aruba don't have to offer free refills. The business is there.

Given the markup on a soft drink, it's a real money maker. The Coke you pay $2.00 for costs the restaurant less than ten cents in the USA so maybe it costs a quarter in Aruba. Soft drinks are a huge profit contributor.

Quote Originally Posted by Andrea J. View Post
    no where in aruba have i gotten free soft drink refills.
    i tend to mostly drink iced tea at restaurants or water and wine.
    and gretch.........i know what you mean by "tonic".............apparently we in MA are the only ones in the world that call soda pop tonic.
    now that i am in florida full time, i have gotten to calling it soda.
    Oops, you're right Andrea! Soda just doesn't flow naturally from my lips but I need to remember others will have no idea what I'm talking about! Thanks

I never get free refills in Aruba. I would love to find a place that refilled my Balashi draft for free, although good tips often score a freebie or two. Well kept secret: we stay at the Surf Club and the pool bar has 2 for 1 happy hour in the afternoon and closes at the end of happy hour. If you have been there, there are two palm trees in the middle of the pool several feet from the end of the actual bar in large planters surrounded by pool water. When happy hour is almost over, I go around and pick up the empties and return them to the bar. This is almost always good for a gratis Slippery Monkey or Balashi. The bartenders other option is to place an eight foot board between the bar and the planters, walk out over the water and pick up the trash and go back, twice, because there are two planters. Okay, I told my secret but let's keep it between us, if not everybody will be doing it!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12