Aruba Beach
Aruba Nights Island Guide

Buster's Garage Deck Removed by Government

I just read a story on the Aruba Herald that the outside deck at Buster's Garage has been demolished and removed by the government yesterday. The article states the reason for the removal is that the deck was built without the proper permits. Anyone have any more details?

Regards,

Aruba since 1979
    Former owner mark68 told me the deck
    was not in compliance w regulations.
    Mark sold his stake in the place last spring.

Unfortunate chain of events led to the demolition
    of the deck and other structure in the parking
    lot. Check out 24ora.com.

Arrow

According to the article it was pretty cut and dry.

• Not in compliance with building codes and without the necessary permits.
    • Arubaherald.com and 24ora.com were informed by DOW that the companies had been notified in a letter that their structures were not built according to the law and would be removed.
    • The mall's owners took the government to court and lost the case.
    • DOW officials visited both locations on Wednesday to inform the owners that the structures would be removed on Thursday, November 10
    • ... told them to remove everything to avoid damage to products and/or items of value.
    • Thursday morning, when DOW began the demolition at Buster's Garage, the owner was furious, asking for a chance to remove valuable items.
    • DOW workers helped Buster's Garage's owner in moving the items.
    • Once everything was out of the way, DOW continued with the demolition of the added structure.

"It is possible that these actions will continue at other businesses where building codes are not being respected."

Wow just checked out the pictures of demolition. I would imagine the cost to build that stuff in Aruba is very costly. What a shame something couldnt be worked out to make it fit the code and pay the back permits.

Sean and Susan

I just found this news video on Youtube which has an interview with the current owner of Busters. The interview was shot as the government was in the process of tearing down his deck. Needless to say, he is very upset that his deck was torn down.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GN-x1...feature=colike

Eagle Beach and love venturing out throughout the whole island
    how sad ... why didn't they give a chance to bring it up to code? or did they?

how sad ... why didn't they give a chance to bring it up to code? or did they?

• the companies had been notified in a letter that their structures were not built according to the law and would be removed.
    • The mall's owners took the government to court and lost the case.
    • DOW officials visited both locations on Wednesday to inform the owners that the structures would be removed on Thursday, November 10... told them to remove everything to avoid damage to products and/or items of value.
    Sounds to me like they were given a chance to appeal it, they did, lost, and were then told to remove it.

It was more of any issue of WHERE it was built than how it was built. A bit different from what we customarily think of as "up to code" here in the U.S. My understanding was that the building was erected on government property?

The owner was given advance notice to remove his property and then waited until the arrival of the heavy construction equipment to do so?

Aruba since 1979
    Yes on gvt property