Aruba Beach
Aruba Nights Island Guide

Can't recall name of restaurant

Can anyone recognize a restaurant I ate it maybe 10 years ago from this (very limited)description:

It was in an old home that overlooked water. The restaurant level overlooked a pool. I believe the place was used as a small Guest house. The owner was a man from NY or NJ who decided to give up the rat race & move to Aruba & open a little restaurant. The food was wonderful.
    The humorous part of our meal there was when we asked for Decaf coffee, and he told us Decaf was not available in Aruba. We had just been to grocery store that day & there was definitely Decaf on the shelf. When we told him that he was surprised & said he'd now get some since many diners were asking for Decaf.

Reniassance Island & Surf Club Lazy River
    Papiamento?

Quote Originally Posted by coachgns View Post
    It was in an old home that overlooked water. The restaurant level overlooked a pool. I believe the place was used as a small Guest house.
    I can't think of any restaurants that were homes overlooking the water.....

Do you remember what part of the island it was located at?
    ~Amy~ - 35th trip to Aruba: New Years Eve 2017/2018 -- Zihuatanejo, MX: March 2018 -- Ireland: June/July 2018 -- 36th trip to Aruba: Sept. 2018

It sort of looked like Papiemento, but the proprietor was a much older person than the people shown on their website. If they took over for their father then it could have been that.
    as for the water, maybe I'm confused and it was just a pool it overlooked. But it was NOT in a hotel - a B&B possibly.
    As I think about it, I am wrong in the timing. It was on my honeymoon (WITH MY EX) which was 1991. And then we went back again in '93 or '94. So I'm talking 15 yrs ago. Chances are it is long gone.

But I still want to go back to aruba. Of course, my partner is not anxious to go because she's uncomfortable about going where I went on my honeymoon! :-) But then we stayed at the Hyatt. This time, I guess Eagle Beach.

Quote Originally Posted by coachgns View Post
    It sort of looked like Papiemento, but the proprietor was a much older person than the people shown on their website. If they took over for their father then it could have been that.
    as for the water, maybe I'm confused and it was just a pool it overlooked. But it was NOT in a hotel - a B&B possibly.
    It sounds like Papiamento - I know they were around back in the mid '90's because we went there in 1996.
    ~Amy~ - 35th trip to Aruba: New Years Eve 2017/2018 -- Zihuatanejo, MX: March 2018 -- Ireland: June/July 2018 -- 36th trip to Aruba: Sept. 2018

Quote Originally Posted by ~Amy~ View Post
    It sounds like Papiamento - I know they were around back in the mid '90's because we went there in 1996.
    Yes, we went to Papiamento in '95 and this is the only restaurant which comes to mind which is remotely similar.

Quote Originally Posted by ~Amy~ View Post
    Amy --
    I remember you from another Aruba forum which had lots and lots of members.
    I can't find it -- do you know which one I'm talking about?
    I think it was something like Arubaboards.com?

Anyway, we are going again at the end of February. You told us about Mirandi - which we love. Looking forward to the new location.

Thanks for your help,
    Janice

Quote Originally Posted by Janice P View Post
    Amy --
    I remember you from another Aruba forum which had lots and lots of members.
    I can't find it -- do you know which one I'm talking about?
    I think it was something like Arubaboards.com?

Anyway, we are going again at the end of February. You told us about Mirandi - which we love. Looking forward to the new location.

Thanks for your help,
    Janice
    Hi Janice -

I frequent these two alot:

http://www.aruba-travelguide.com/bulletinboard/

http://www.aruba-bb.com/

Glad to hear you liked Marandi, too!! Have a great time!