Aruba Beach
Aruba Nights Island Guide
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 12
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: Carambola - Closed July 31

  1. #1
    Senior Member ~Amy~'s Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    2,654

    Carambola - Closed July 31

    Carambola, the restaurant at Paradise Beach Villas, closed on July 31. PBV is currently looking for another restaurant to take over the space.
    ~Amy~ - Playa del Carmen, MX: March 2017 - 34th trip to Aruba: May 2017 - Munich, Salzburg, Prague: June/July 2017 - Santa Barbara, CA wine country: Nov. 2017 - Seattle: Nov. 2017 - 35th trip to Aruba: New Years Eve 2017/2018




  2. #2
    Aruba since 1979
    Moderator
    Andrea J.'s Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    29,431
    sad to see another one close

  3. #3
    Senior Member Aruba4ever's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    2,626
    Agreed, sad for sure. That said, its simple supply and demand at work. Over the past 10 years or so, I would say the amount of places to eat has seemed to almost double. The new number of places to dine, along with the fact that despite the continued increases in visitors each year the increase in visitors has not matched the supply of places to dine. You also need to account for many of the "new" vistors on the island are staying at timeshares.

    This sadly is not the first and won't be the last restaurant to go away.

    Quote Originally Posted by Andrea J. View Post
    sad to see another one close

  4. #4
    Senior Member act1966's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    In the pool.
    Posts
    2,414
    To be honest, we'd never heard of it until Amy's post today.

    Blame the trolley... parking...Venezuelans...?

  5. #5
    Aruba since 1979
    Moderator
    Andrea J.'s Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    29,431
    and those in all inclusives too
    Quote Originally Posted by Aruba4ever View Post
    Agreed, sad for sure. That said, its simple supply and demand at work. Over the past 10 years or so, I would say the amount of places to eat has seemed to almost double. The new number of places to dine, along with the fact that despite the continued increases in visitors each year the increase in visitors has not matched the supply of places to dine. You also need to account for many of the "new" vistors on the island are staying at timeshares.

    This sadly is not the first and won't be the last restaurant to go away.

  6. #6
    Senior Member cpjones's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Eagle Beach, Glitz Casino, Manchebo Beach Resort
    Posts
    3,771
    Quote Originally Posted by Andrea J. View Post
    and those in all inclusives too
    Agreed..... the number of AI rooms has increased dramatically over the past 10 years.... and I would think just about doubled.

  7. #7
    Senior Member Aruba4ever's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    2,626
    Certainly has. It is another MAJOR factor in the demise of the restaurants. Just the Westin alone was 300 plus rooms nightly that have "vanished" from the potential customer base.

    Quote Originally Posted by cpjones View Post
    Agreed..... the number of AI rooms has increased dramatically over the past 10 years.... and I would think just about doubled.

  8. #8
    Aruba since 1979
    Moderator
    Andrea J.'s Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    29,431
    which leads to a whole new topic. or an old topic

    Quote Originally Posted by Aruba4ever View Post
    Certainly has. It is another MAJOR factor in the demise of the restaurants. Just the Westin alone was 300 plus rooms nightly that have "vanished" from the potential customer base.

  9. #9
    Senior Member AndyM's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Paradise Beach Villas Eagle Beach
    Posts
    1,275
    Quote Originally Posted by Aruba4ever View Post
    Certainly has. It is another MAJOR factor in the demise of the restaurants. Just the Westin alone was 300 plus rooms nightly that have "vanished" from the potential customer base.
    I'm not sure the closing of the Westin resulted in fewer people coming to Aruba. Are all the hotel rooms on the island always booked 100%?

    Restaurants seem to remain busy. Perhaps what happens is that the better restaurants survive and those that are poorly run, offer lower quality foods or value for the dollar don't stick around.

    We have timeshare at PBV. Carambola was never really busy. The outdoor seating area (less than half their total capacity) was often full or nearly full but the inside dining room was usually empty.

  10. #10
    Senior Member Aruba4ever's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    2,626
    The closing of the Westin did not result in fewer people coming to the island but did reduce the number of people that would dine out for all of their meals. The best do rise to the top, and the rest well....some fail, some survive.

    Quote Originally Posted by AndyM View Post
    I'm not sure the closing of the Westin resulted in fewer people coming to Aruba. Are all the hotel rooms on the island always booked 100%?

    Restaurants seem to remain busy. Perhaps what happens is that the better restaurants survive and those that are poorly run, offer lower quality foods or value for the dollar don't stick around.

    We have timeshare at PBV. Carambola was never really busy. The outdoor seating area (less than half their total capacity) was often full or nearly full but the inside dining room was usually empty.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO