Aruba Beach
Aruba Nights Island Guide
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Like Tree24Likes

Thread: CC Authorization Form Required?

CC Authorization Form Required?

I attempted to make reservations for six (6) people for a fairly new family run Italian restaurant for dinner. I received a response back that I would have to complete a "Credit Card Authorization Form" if I wanted to keep the reservation. After reading the form, I declined to complete the form and fax it back to the restaurant.

The form wanted my full name, credit card number, expiration date and security code. If I were not to show up, I would be charged $40.00 per person. The owner also stated that this is a common practice in Aruba and most of the restaurants do require this during the high season.

My question:

Did anyone ever hear of this before? I have been to many high-end restaurants here in Aruba during high season with six or more people and I have never been asked for this before. This is also not a secure way of providing your credit card information especially giving them the 3 or 4 digit security code from your card.

Regards,

Aruba since 1979
    that is a totally INsecure way to send credit card information.

a while back, MJs asked for the same information when i tried to make a reservation for 6. i wrote back to them stating that i was uncomfortable giving my credit card info,so the reservation was made with out the credit card!

i would contact them by email and express your concerns.

you are referring to Anna Maria restaurant, correct?

Quote Originally Posted by Retagger View Post
    I attempted to make reservations for six (6) people for a fairly new family run Italian restaurant for dinner. I received a response back that I would have to complete a "Credit Card Authorization Form" if I wanted to keep the reservation. After reading the form, I declined to complete the form and fax it back to the restaurant.

The form wanted my full name, credit card number, expiration date and security code. If I were not to show up, I would be charged $40.00 per person. The owner also stated that this is a common practice in Aruba and most of the restaurants do require this during the high season.

My question:

Did anyone ever hear of this before? I have been to many high-end restaurants here in Aruba during high season with six or more people and I have never been asked for this before. This is also not a secure way of providing your credit card information especially giving them the 3 or 4 digit security code from your card.

Regards,

Never encountered this in Aruba but we're always there in low season.

I've had similar requirements here in the U.S. but it's usually a special event type dinner like NYE or Valentine's Day - or it's a small, high-end restaurant with limited seating. But I've always just given them the CC number over the phone.
    Last edited by ~Amy~; 01-23-2012 at 04:07 PM.
    ~Amy~ - 35th trip to Aruba: New Years Eve 2017/2018 -- Zihuatanejo, MX: March 2018 -- Ireland: June/July 2018 -- 36th trip to Aruba: Sept. 2018

Quote Originally Posted by Andrea J. View Post
    that is a totally INsecure way to send credit card information.

a while back, MJs asked for the same information when i tried to make a reservation for 6. i wrote back to them stating that i was uncomfortable giving my credit card info,so the reservation was made with out the credit card!

i would contact them by email and express your concerns.

you are referring to Anna Maria restaurant, correct?
    Yes, it is Anna Maria. I did contact the owner and I was told that he does not make exceptions to the rule. His loss as I will spend my money in a different restaurant.

Below is a copy of their Credit Card Authorization form.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails CC Authorization Form Required?-img_0327.jpg  

Retagger - you did the right thing, and while it is not polite for someone to simply not show up for their reservation, this is not a practice that will win this restaurant owner many fans in the long run.

If it is the same "fairly new" family run Italian restaurant that is the owner's back yard, I have heard far too many stories of late about how the owner treats customers that simply reaffirm my intention to never return there again. I took a mighty scoffing on this message board 2 years back after providing what was thought by me and others to be a fair (and not damming) review after our first visit.

Jewish friends of ours walked out after overhearing the chef make anti-semitic comments and they vowed not to return despite pleas, apologies, and offers of free wine by the chef over the "misunderstanding".

Over this Christmas holiday, neighbours of ours in Aruba were scolded when one their children fell from his seat (being a child) and grabbed at a blind to break his fall, causing the blind to break. The chef came out with a rolling pin suggesting this is what the parents should do to keep their kids in line and said to them had he known there were children in the party, he would not have accepted the reservation. He indicated he only has "upper class" people at his restaurant.

I am the first to to rally business owners who work hard to treat customers well and understand the importance of each guest's experience. Everyone has a day that is off, but to hear consistently how this owner treats guests only validates that we have made the right choice to never return to this restaurant.

I am sure I will now take a flogging for this post . . . but so be it - the forum is intended to respect the views of everyone.

If you want a very good meal and dining experience, try Amuse Bistro . . . Patrick and Ivette work tirelessly to make sure every guest has an incredible experience. Michael
    Last edited by mmattalo; 01-23-2012 at 06:00 PM.

When I asked Chris, the owner and chef, if he could make an exception for us as I did not feel comfortable completing this form, he wrote the following:

"I can't think of an other alternative unless you were staying at a decent & respectful Hotel on the Island but unfortunately you're not (well fortunate you own your own home on the Island)! "

From my interpratation of his responses is that if I was staying at a DECENT and RESPECTFUL hotel, he would make an exception. What kind of an answer is that?

Regards,

Arashi Beach, Hyatt, Radisson, Shopping, Flea Market, Downtown, Palm Beach, Everything
    i've never been to that restaurant but i'm sorry, no one's food is that good

When I asked Chris, the owner and chef, if he could make an exception for us as I did not feel comfortable completing this form, he wrote the following:

"I can't think of an other alternative unless you were staying at a decent & respectful Hotel on the Island but unfortunately you're not (well fortunate you own your own home on the Island)! "

From my interpratation of his responses is that if I was staying at a DECENT and RESPECTFUL hotel, he would make an exception. What kind of an answer is that?

Regards,
    All I can say is....wow.....I'm speechless regarding this remark.
    ~Amy~ - 35th trip to Aruba: New Years Eve 2017/2018 -- Zihuatanejo, MX: March 2018 -- Ireland: June/July 2018 -- 36th trip to Aruba: Sept. 2018

Quote Originally Posted by ~Amy~ View Post
    All I can say is....wow.....I'm speechless regarding this remark.
    So nothing is taken out of context, here is Chris' entire unedited email response to my concern regarding the Credit Card Authorization form:

Hi David,

It surprises me you are not aware that this is a normal practice here on the Island during the winter months, many, almost all restaurants require a cc authorization form to be filled prior of confirming any reservation.
    This is by the way very common also in NY - even for tables of just 2 - is what I was told by many of my NY's.

I can't think of an other alternative unless you were staying at a decent & respectful Hotel on the Island but unfortunately you're not (well fortunate you own your own home on the Island)!

Let me know your thoughts but I want to be upfront & honest about our reservation process: This is applicable for everyone that wants to visit my Ristorante when a request has been made for 5 people or more and as good practice I can not make any exceptions nor can I discriminate one costumer from another, so without this form we have no confirmation and we definitely take no walk-ins.

We've been burned in the past as my seating area is small so when I get to the amount we can possibly seat I stop accepting additional reservations and during the evening we get 'no shows', this is why I was forced to introduce this form to my reservation process when for 5 or more.

With other words I was loosing because I was not accepting additional reservations + at night no show so it was a both way lose for us!

Not saying you'll do this but I've noticed some tourist make more than one reservation for the same evening and while at their last minutes at the beach, they'll decide which one to visit for that particular evening, something we cannot afford as I have a business to run.

I trust you understand my point.

Take care.

Chris

Aruba since 1979
    too bad this person is ignorant.
    that being said, the restaurant must not need your business.
    and does not deserve your business.

such a shame.

maybe the owner/chef needs to take a lesson at charm school.

Regards,

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast