Aruba Beach
Aruba Nights Island Guide
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree24Likes

Thread: CC Authorization Form Required?

I've just made 8 dinner resies each for a party of 8 for our visit 2/02-2/17. All of them for the top restaurants on Aurba and I was never asked for a credit card authorization for any reason. I have been asked to reconfirm once on the island which is reasonable. The time I was ever asked to complete a CC authorization with a no show policy of $50 per person was for Mesa Grill in NYC.

To your question - "what kind of answer is that?". It is a rude and totally disrespectful answer and I would not give this restaurant any business.

Quote Originally Posted by Retagger View Post
    Not saying you'll do this but I've noticed some tourist make more than one reservation for the same evening and while at their last minutes at the beach, they'll decide which one to visit for that particular evening, something we cannot afford as I have a business to run.

I trust you understand my point.

Take care.

Chris
    Now this is something I've been told by NUMEROUS restaurant owners in Aruba over the years. Tourists make several reservations for different restaurants for the same night so they can just decide what they're in the mood for. Unfortunately, they never cancel the other reservations and the restaurant owner turns away "walk ins" since they're expecting to have full tables. This really takes a toll on the small restaurant owner's business. This really does happen and I can certainly understand his need for a CC. However, the comment about the hotel was uncalled for.
    ~Amy~ - Playa del Carmen, MX: March 2017 - 34th trip to Aruba: May 2017 - Munich, Salzburg, Prague: June/July 2017 - Santa Barbara, CA wine country: Nov. 2017 - Seattle: Nov. 2017 - 35th trip to Aruba: New Years Eve 2017/2018

I had never heard of this,but thankful for the info. I will be in Aruba next week but I will also be there on a cruise in April and 8 of us want to go to dinner while we are there. Now I know what to expect when I make the reso. If I am asked I will take Andrea's advice and hopefully they won't require it. I sure hope it works out because with only one night there and no walkins I am hoping for a nice restaurant to go to!! Will keep you updated.

i don't often get a chance to reply to threads recently, but this one caught my eye. never would i give that information to anyone i didn't know and trust extremely well. identity theft and credit card fraud both start that way. been there, done that and will not repeat it if i can help it. along with the fact that the owner has no touch with reality, i expect he will also not be a restaurant owner for much longer.

that is one restaurant i will warn friends about. that is the best way to get even. tell the truth, don't exaggerate but spread the word!

This happened to us a couple of years ago at Pinchos. We had been going there for a sunset dinner for a few years and that year our party grew from 6 to 8. I was told I had to provide CC authorization to secure the res. and that there would be a $25 per person charge if I didn't show. I refused.

A $25 or $40 charge per person is not intended to act as a deterrent, it's intended to provide them with all the income they expected from that reservation. Absurd in my mind.

renaissance private island, iguana joe's, madame janettes..
    unfortunately for restaurant owners this is part of the price of doing business..you hope people are polite enough to cancel a reservation if they are not going to keep it but it doesn't always happen..when staying at a hotel they usually ask for the hotel name you are staying at along with your parties name when you make the reservation..if a restaurant gets an no show they can always flag that parties name and hotel and if that person were to call in again for a reservation the restaurant can deal with the no show at that time but to ask for the credit card information up front is crazy..there are to many fantastic restaurants in aruba to go to and this owner in the long run is going to lose out..this message board i believe can make or break some restaurants(more likely the smaller ones)..this is one restaurant i definitely won't be trying..
    scott and tricia

Arashi Beach, Hyatt, Radisson, Shopping, Flea Market, Downtown, Palm Beach, Everything
    if its a small restaurant, i can see them asking for a reconfirmation the day before, that is not unreasonable. but we've made reservations at restaurants with 10 people and never were asked for a cc number. 2nd, i would think if someone had a home on the island, that would be more reassuring to a restaurant owner then someone in a "decent hotel". i guess we could never go there because i don't even use my credit cards when i'm away except for an emergency. we always pay cash. i guess we wouldn't be welcome there. and i've eaten in NYC many, many times. I asked my friend who lives in NYC and she said she's never had to do that. i think the norm is NOT to do that and I'm sure there are exeptions but they would be in the minority, not the majority. I would never allow someone to have my CC number months ahead of time. that's just asking for trouble. i'm not saying this restaurant would abuse it but seriously, who would give their cc number to a restuarant 3 months ahead of time. no, that's a bad practice. and like sagman said, it is unfortunate some people aren't polite to cancel a reservation but it is the price of doing business. the restuarant can confirm the reservation the day before or that day and if no confirmation is given, cancel the reservation. if they are a small restuarant, then there can't be that many people they need to confirm with.

Quote Originally Posted by mmattalo View Post
    Retagger - you did the right thing, and while it is not polite for someone to simply not show up for their reservation, this is not a practice that will win this restaurant owner many fans in the long run.

If it is the same "fairly new" family run Italian restaurant that is the owner's back yard, I have heard far too many stories of late about how the owner treats customers that simply reaffirm my intention to never return there again. I took a mighty scoffing on this message board 2 years back after providing what was thought by me and others to be a fair (and not damming) review after our first visit.

Jewish friends of ours walked out after overhearing the chef make anti-semitic comments and they vowed not to return despite pleas, apologies, and offers of free wine by the chef over the "misunderstanding".

Over this Christmas holiday, neighbours of ours in Aruba were scolded when one their children fell from his seat (being a child) and grabbed at a blind to break his fall, causing the blind to break. The chef came out with a rolling pin suggesting this is what the parents should do to keep their kids in line and said to them had he known there were children in the party, he would not have accepted the reservation. He indicated he only has "upper class" people at his restaurant.

I am the first to to rally business owners who work hard to treat customers well and understand the importance of each guest's experience. Everyone has a day that is off, but to hear consistently how this owner treats guests only validates that we have made the right choice to never return to this restaurant.

I am sure I will now take a flogging for this post . . . but so be it - the forum is intended to respect the views of everyone.

If you want a very good meal and dining experience, try Amuse Bistro . . . Patrick and Ivette work tirelessly to make sure every guest has an incredible experience. Michael
    I am going to weigh in on this topic and comments for a number of reasons. I regularly go to this restaurant and I would like to comment. First and foremost, the above comments need to be addressed. I am Jewish and the owner Chris knows it and has always been warm and welcoming. This year we were at his restaurant during Channukah. We wanted to light our menorah and do the appropriate prayers and Chris went out of his way to be helpful. As it turned out the entire restaurant was Jewish and everybody participated and it was wonderful. Chris was very interested and impressed by what we were doing. I might add at this time that the table next to us had a 2 year old and the restaurant was more than accommodating to this young child.

I am very sorry but the story above also makes no sense as there ARE NO BLINDS in the restaurant!!!! This is an outside restaurant which is open on 3 sides except for the door to go in the house which sits along the concrete of their house. Someone has this place mixed up with someone else.

Now for the issue of cc authorization. I just came back from 3 weeks in Aruba and almost every restaurant we went to needed a form to be filled out. As Amy so aptly put, many restaurants have been "burned" by customers making multiple reservations. In December 2010, when we went to Barefoot, he supposedly had a full restaurant when 14 people never showed up. Being a new business he was retisant to institute the policy of a cc authorization form at that time. Anna-Maria's is a very small place, approx 6-8 tables so if people don't show up he suffers. He books his staff or takes the number of people based on who and what he can properly serve. In 3 trips we have been to this restaurant 7 times over 8 weeks of vacation time. We have been there enough that I feel I can comment on this. We found this restaurant from reading about it on this bb. As you can imagine, he must have had enough experience with people not showing up that he felt the need for a policy like this. This is his livelihood!

We had friends who would never go to a place that made them give CC information so they missed out on so many good places but now they have "caved" as more and more places are requiring this.

One last comment with regards to the response from Anna-Maria's, while it appears to be a little "off", when English is not someone's first language sometimes things do not come across as they appear in both a response and an attempt at humour. As stated, having been to Anna-Maria's 7 times, Chris is a very kind and caring business owner. He takes his business seriously and takes comments very personally (sometimes too personally) as he wants to please his customers.
    In addition, children have been there many times when we have been there and the staff have been fantastic with them, especially as this is a place where dinner is not a fast paced place. I have never witnessed anything negative towards any children. In my opinion, I would not take a child there due to the fact that this is a restaurant that is more of a dining experience but that is an individual decision and Chris and Anna Maria always welcome the children.

To end this post, I would like to say that some of the comments are a little bit "overboard" imo, while everyone is entitled to an opinion some are seem somewhat uncalled for.
    Last edited by Randi; 01-24-2012 at 10:15 AM.
    happiness is going to Aruba with your adult kids because they still want to come with their parents

one place I'll never go to!!!. Never ever ever give cc info to any one thats my motto

No giving of CC information, then you won't be able to go to:
    Madame Janettes, Yemanja Woodfired Grill, Marandi's, Blossoms, Passions, Ruinas del Mar, to name just a few.
    happiness is going to Aruba with your adult kids because they still want to come with their parents

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast