Aruba Beach
Aruba Nights Island Guide
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree7Likes

Thread: Chalet Suisse

Chalet Suisse

My sister and BIL just got back from a week in Aruba (Marriott). It was a 50th wedding anniversary gift from their kids. I gave my sister a list of restaurants my wife and I really like and added a few others I read about here in the forum. Thanks to all who contributed.

One of their dinners was at the Chalet Suisse. BIL ordered a ribeye and found it excessively fatty. He as picking his way through it for the good parts when the restaurant manager came to the table on his own (or at the waiter's request) and took his plate, telling him the steak was unacceptable and they would not be charged for it. He also comped them dessert and coffee.

In light of recently reported similar issues with El Gaucho, I thought everyone should hear the positive side as well.

You can get a bad meal anywhere. How the restaurant handles the situation tells you how good they are.

They also really liked the pizza at Casa Tua, Gianni's, Simply Fish and Windows. They both thought Champions at the Marriott was a bust.

Aruba since 1979
    EXCELLENT customer relations

Reniassance Island & Surf Club Lazy River
    Thank you for sharing that story. I feel like it's one of those hidden gems.

Thank you! Love hearing negatives turned positive!
    Jacki ~ loving Aruba from NJ

Divi links, pool, beach, lighthouse, Arikok National Park, etc.
    Chalet Suisse is one of my family's favorites for both food and service.

Aruba since 1979
    We always loved chalet Suisse too. Our last visit there, we were delayed in traffic downtown and was 8 minutes late for our 7 pm reservation. We lost out
    We called from the traffic jam and explained our dilemma and were told to hurry.
    When we arrived, We explained our situation to the maître d but , our reservation was cancelled.
    Lesson learned

I don't know Andrea, I think I would have been less than pleased if they cancelled on me under those circumstances. Did they at least offer you a later time?

Reniassance Island & Surf Club Lazy River
    WRONG wrong wrong.... Wth, shame on them. I would have thrown a nutty that you could have heard back in RI if they said we can't help you!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Andrea J. View Post
    We always loved chalet Suisse too. Our last visit there, we were delayed in traffic downtown and was 8 minutes late for our 7 pm reservation. We lost out
    We called from the traffic jam and explained our dilemma and were told to hurry.
    When we arrived, We explained our situation to the maître d but , our reservation was cancelled.
    Lesson learned

Aruba since 1979
    The maître d, I think his name Ben, when we called , and told us not to be more than 5 min late for risk of losing. So he was upfront with us and yes Peg he offers us to come back at 830 but we were hungry and went elsewhere. We were annoyed but it was our fault as we should have allowed more time from Renaissance to Chalet.

My feeling is it's forgivable as long as they offered you another time slot. Guess we have to look at it from the restaurant perspective if they are all booked up and they were up front you. Of course, that's my practical side, my emotional hungry side would probably never go back.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast