Aruba Beach
Aruba Nights Island Guide
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: Chalet Suisse -- appropriate dress?

As CS is a nicer, more formal restaurant, I am more comfortable dressing according to the location. The service staff is dressed 'formally' in black slacks, white long sleeve shirts and black bow ties. I wear casual slacks and a tropical shirt or polo. I see people there in shorts regularly. Earlier this year there was a guy at the next table wearing a t-shirt and a ball cap during dinner. That really bothered me. As someone else said, the won't turn you away. But that may not be the best measure.

Aruba since 1979
    a ball cap on someone's head is inappropriate in a restaurant.
    do people no longer have any semblance of good manners?
    amdym, it would have bothered me too.

Quote Originally Posted by AndyM View Post
    As CS is a nicer, more formal restaurant, I am more comfortable dressing according to the location. The service staff is dressed 'formally' in black slacks, white long sleeve shirts and black bow ties. I wear casual slacks and a tropical shirt or polo. I see people there in shorts regularly. Earlier this year there was a guy at the next table wearing a t-shirt and a ball cap during dinner. That really bothered me. As someone else said, the won't turn you away. But that may not be the best measure.

Our favorite place in Aruba. I always wear a sundress, husband wears shorts. You see every kind of dress there but the jean shorts and baseball caps seem out of place. Wiener schnitzel and the chocolate fondue....we have it every time.

I wore black docker shorts with a nice shirt and I didn't feel out of place.

The only time I felt out of place was when I first went there. I was traveling alone then and felt uncomfortable to dine at a fancy restaurant alone. So I went early and caught the early bird special which is from 5:30 to 6:30pm. Not too many people were there then but when I left around 7pm it started to get packed.

In general, the world has become much more casual in it's dress code since I was a kid. People used to put on a jacket and tie for air travel. I'm retired. for 90% of my work career, I had to wear a dress shirt and tie with either a suit or sport coat. When I first started work out of college, dress shirts were white. Only an occasional blue shirt made an appearance. You wore a tie and jacket to church.

People are now comfortable in more casual clothing were it was not appropriate before. This change has made its way into restaurants. Frankly, I have had trouble adjusting to some of the changes and may be a little behind the times.

With reference to Aruba, pretty much everywhere you go, service people in shops are dressed in long pants and often long sleeves as well. This tells me the island has a more formal vibe than other Caribbean locales. I'd rather blend in than be considered an "Ugly American" so I dress as I do.
    Last edited by AndyM; 04-17-2013 at 09:35 PM.

I have been there, and perhaps it was the time we went, but place was emply and food was ok,, should i give it another shot, maybe a later time,,would be more crowded.

Have never been to SC, but now my interest is peeked so I think it may be on the list next week.....
    I remember the first trip to aruba (seems like ages ago now....)but people on the plane were talking about going to the place downtown....can't remembe the name, but they were talking about having to get dressed up to go....Dh looked at me and said "off the list"...he hates to get dressed up on vacation....He will wear a nice pair of shorts and a tropical shirt, but no pants....too hot !!!
    I have never been to Windows even though we are right there on the property....when it was being built the management said they were going to require folks to be dressed up to go, so it was also scratched off the list......might have to try it now that I know shorts are acceptable....
    ARUBA....HOME AWAY FROM HOME

Aruba since 1979
    chez mathilde, may be the restaurant you are thinking of.
    it was a beautiful and did require a more upscale dress code.
    we were there only 2x and that was in 2000 and 2001.
    husband wore slacks (and complained lots)
    i wore a sundress and complained too.

chez mathilde became a victim of the economy and the absence of downtown patrons.
    the build up in the hi rise area really caused so many folks not to venture downtown anymore.
    it was a gem.

Quote Originally Posted by danadog56 View Post
    Have never been to SC, but now my interest is peeked so I think it may be on the list next week.....
    I remember the first trip to aruba (seems like ages ago now....)but people on the plane were talking about going to the place downtown....can't remembe the name, but they were talking about having to get dressed up to go....Dh looked at me and said "off the list"...he hates to get dressed up on vacation....He will wear a nice pair of shorts and a tropical shirt, but no pants....too hot !!!
    I have never been to Windows even though we are right there on the property....when it was being built the management said they were going to require folks to be dressed up to go, so it was also scratched off the list......might have to try it now that I know shorts are acceptable....
    Last edited by Andrea J.; 04-18-2013 at 11:30 AM.

Danadog, if you do get to CS please be sure to post. As much as I enjoy hearing about the food, I'll be curious to hear how people dressed. As for Windows, I really enjoyed it. They did a phenomenal job with the lamb. DH didn't like it because he felt they hovered too much. We dressed casually and I did feel uncomfortable at first but quickly noticed a number of people dressed more casually then us. The only thing I didn't care for was dessert. It was deconstructed and minuscule. Brownies and ice cream consisted of a few tiny little cubes of brownie and a mouthful of ice cream. It was plated on very large plates which made the presentation even worse.

Under my chickie at the aruba beach club along with my husband and my favorite drink
    Chalet Suisse is one of our favorites! My DH has always worn dress shorts and a nice shirt to dinner there. He absolutely refused to wear long pants in Aruba while on vacation. I have seen others do the same. But it is ultimatly each persons personal decision in what they feel is appropriate. But believe me they won't refuse service if you do wear dress shorts.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12