Aruba Beach
Aruba Nights Island Guide
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Chino Latino

I was there not too long ago and had the terikyajki chicken with fried rice and fried bananas! I absolutely loved the food. The service was all very friendly to me each time I was there! I actually even made friends with the bartender Lizabeth! She was a great person with lots of fun stories. I think every place has its bad day once in a while. If they didnt then it would not be normal. I am a firm believer in being your own judge. You get so much food for the price that you can't beat it!!

Senior Member Liz - Aruba Lover's Avatar
    I ate at Chino Latinos in April. Forgot what I had but it was a special for $10.00. Couldn't beat the price; and the food was good too.

I only go on Tues, they have all you can eat fajitas for $12.50, and they are very good for the price. But I do see what he is saying about service and whatnot. I know the same person owns Chino Latino and Cactus Jacks, I ate a Cactus Jacks and did not like it at all. Way over priced and tasted like everything was frozen, they really need to redo the food at both.

Sopranos Piano Bar, Café 080, Costa Linda
    Quote Originally Posted by islandj View Post
    I only go on Tues, they have all you can eat fajitas for $12.50, and they are very good for the price. But I do see what he is saying about service and whatnot. I know the same person owns Chino Latino and Cactus Jacks, I ate a Cactus Jacks and did not like it at all. Way over priced and tasted like everything was frozen, they really need to redo the food at both.
    Both are in the Aruba Wine & Dine Family, along with Tango, Salt n Pepper, Hadicurari, Plaza Cafe, Mambo Jambo and Chez Mathilde. The ribs at Cactus Jacks are the same recipe as their ribs on the snack platter at MooMba Beach. I'm sure of the many places with similar BBQ menus, people prefer one to another (as there are what, 4 BBQ places in that mile?), menu item by menu item. I don't think any are always amazing across the board, and any are particularly tragic. Sometimes, it's simply a matter of which one is directly across the street from your hotel, as these places are casual and kid-friendly.

yup its up to your taste, everyone is different.

Quote Originally Posted by ~Amy~® View Post
    I ate at Chino Latino in April and liked it quite a bit but.....things can always change.
    My wife and I were there in March and enjoyed it. When we returned in November, it was a different experience entirely.

Is this place still open?

No it is closed.
    Difficult to have a restaurant right there in front of senior frog!!!
    So now it is a night bar with heavy music.

Since 1980, and throughout the many changes, we still love going downtown in Oranjestad.
    We were at ChinoLatinos back in Januray 2010. It was okay, but we did not go back, either on that trip or on our subsequent trip in January 2011.

Did I read correctly that as a restaurant it is now closed, and is now a bar with loud music? Exactly what the high-rise area needs; another bar.

As for San Nic's remarks about the poor quality of the food and service at ChinoLatino's; it sounds like the owners and the employees care about neither.

Aruba has one of the liveliest and most robust dining scenes anywhere in the Caribbean. With so many choices available to us, you'd think any owner would want to do everything he/she could to make us want to eat at their place more than once in a 7 or 10 day visit. Untrained and disengaged employees coupled with owners who's only interest is in cutting corners only hasten the inevitable.

While Aruba's restaurant environment is lively, it has also become a little crowded. There are still opportunities for creative chefs and entrepreneiurs (ie, the owners of Rembrandt's), but an overabundance of the same types of eateries along with razor-thin margins means that owners need to pay attention to both the front of the house as well as the kitchen. When they don't pay attention to these it's only a matter of time before the "for lease" sign goes up in the window.

No amount of 2-for-1 drink specials will make up for poor quality food and employees who look like they'd rather be at the dentist than at work.

I guess it comes to this message for restauranteurs in Aruba. Do want us to eat in your restaurant? If you do, don't just tell us, show us.

Glenn

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12