Aruba Beach
Aruba Nights Island Guide
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Confirmation these are good restaurants

Confirmation these are good restaurants

I'm headed to Aruba on Saturday and I'm looking for restaurants that aren't cheesy, overpriced and touristy. I have a list I put together of places I've read are pretty good near the hotel I'm staying (Marriott Surf Club). Can anyone take a look and let me know. I'm traveling with a group of ladies, so something fun, young, delicious and nothing too romantic.

Papiamento Restaurant
    Old Cunucu House
    Madame Janette
    Tierra del Sol Golf & Country Club
    Gasparito Restaurant
    Carte Blanche
    Papillion
    Wacky Wahoo's

Barney’s

Any other suggestions would be great. I'm kind of a foodie, so meals are important. Thanks!

Carte Blanche very expensive. I would think more of a couple thing.

From what I have seen Barneys has usually gotten good reviews. I don't agree with those! There were 6 of us and none of us liked our food, it was all different from the ribs, shrimp, waitress told us there were no veggie dishes for our vegetarian so she had a baked potato and coleslaw, also 1 person had the chicken satay. I can't remember the other 2 dishes but we were far from impressed! Maybe it was just a bad night but we will not be going back. IMO better food & better prices down the street @ Bingos!

Since 1980, and throughout the many changes, we still love going downtown in Oranjestad.
    I can only comment on two of the restaurants on your list, The Old Cunucu House and Papillon.

The Old Cunucu House is set in a house that is a throwback to Aruba's old Dutch colonial days. My wife and I have been there 3 times and have enjoyed the food and the service every time. The food is a mixture of Aruban and Dutch. The service is attentive but not intrusive.

Papillon is a lovely French-style restaurant. We ate there a few years ago, just after it opened. I would characterize it as a very good restaurant surrounded by a few mediocre pnes.

I would add El Gaucho, which is in Oranjestad on Wilheamenastraat. A good Argentinian steakhouse. We usually go there at lunchtime when most of their clientele are local business people. I eat 16oz steak per year. The 16oz Gaucho steak is about the best tasting red meat you'll find anywhere.

The service at El Gaucho can seem a bit indifferent. They're certainly not going to fall all over themselves for you. The food is what you go there for, not to be fawned over.

Glenn

I would add Pinchos and drop maybe Papiemento-some pretty bad reviews on Trip Advisor recently. We also like Barefoot, which is on the beach (just past town), very casual, and the food and service is really good. As you'll find with all bb's, restaurant tastes are very personal and part of the adventure is finding out for yourself.

Please provide your reviews when you get back!

Curious what you based your choices on?

I was under the impression that the Old Cunucu House was closed? Not sure where I heard this, but I had wanted to try it and someone told me it closed. Anyone?
    katherine

Trip #14 in

I guess I am wrong...There are very recent reviews on Trip Advisor so it must be open. Maybe I am thinking of a different restaurant.
    katherine

Trip #14 in

I believe it was Nos Cunucu that closed. The Old Cunucu house is still open. Also zeerovers is a great local place for fresh fish & shrimps!

Carte Blanche is usually booked solid for a month or so in advance. You may want to try e-mailing them to see if they have an opening, and yes it is quite expensive.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast