Aruba Beach
Aruba Nights Island Guide
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree24Likes

Thread: Cooking meals in Aruba

Cooking meals in Aruba

Hope this post is in correct area

I am curious what others with cooking facilities in Aruba cook. We find with the warm climate that it is difficult to select meals as we are pretty much toast by days end. We find steaks etc too heavy and prefer lighter fare while here in Aruba.

Anyone have any great recipe or meal suggestions

Aquaman

At home during the middle of summer when daily temperatures are above 90 F. every day we go to salads. They can be prepared in the morning and refrigerated until dinner time-- Chef's Salad, Nicoise, Waldorf and chicken and tuna salad-- all with fresh tomatoes from the garden.

We cook often while in Aruba - if I make a heavy meal, we plan to eat early in the day and go for a light snack or a dessert later on. Fajita/taco nights are always fun and not too big of a meal. Salads, etc. are always popular choices and sometimes a good ol' sandwich is perfect!
    Jacki ~ loving Aruba from NJ

Fish! We have access to outside grills and fish is the way to go. It's fresh and readily available at the markets on the island. It takes minimum prep and cooks in minutes. This is a recipe for sole, but can easily be adapted to any white fish and can be cooked using a microwave as below, or in the oven or on the grill using aluminum foil. We also make use of leftovers, whether lunch or dinner, for something light and quick.

Lemon-Horseradish Sole
    Ingredients

• 3 tablespoons butter, softened
    • 3 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
    • 1 teaspoon grated lemon zest
    • 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
    • 2 teaspoons prepared white horseradish
    • 3/4 teaspoon Dijon mustard
    • 4 sole fillets, (6 ounces each)
    • Coarse salt
    • Lemon wedges, for serving (optional)

Directions

1.Step 1

In a small bowl, stir together butter, parsley, lemon zest and juice, horseradish, and mustard.
    2.Step 2

Season both sides of fillets with salt; lay, flat side up, on a clean work surface. Reserve 2 teaspoons butter mixture; dividing evenly, spread remaining butter mixture on top of fillets. Fold fillets in half crosswise, enclosing butter mixture.
    3.Step 3

Place folded fillets in a 9-inch microwave-safe dish with a tight-fitting lid. Top with reserved butter mixture, dividing evenly. Cover; microwave on high until fish is just cooked through, about 5 minutes.
    4.Step 4

To serve, place fillets on plates, and spoon juices from dish over fillets; garnish with lemon wedges, if desired.

Aruba since 1979
    Sounds great Walt !

Eagle Beach, Baby Beach, Arashi Beach Tierra Del Sol golf course
    We do very little cooking in Aruba. One thing we do fix occasionally is a shrimp boil. We take a package of Zaterains(sp) shrimp boil with us. We buy a pound or 2 of fresh headless shrimp, frozen corn on the cob, new potatos and cocktail sauce at the store. Boil potatos with packette of Zaterains. When potatos are ten minutes from being soft(time varies with size of new potatos, the smaller the better), add corn. cook 5 more minutes after boil returns, add shrimp. Shrimp will cook in 5 to 7 minutes depending on size. Now ladle some on your plate and head for the balcony for some great fresh peel and eat shrimp, corn on the cob and potatoes.

I went and bought a crock pot (2 1/2 qrt) at EZEE Brothers and went on-line and now have over a dozen easy, simple recipes for just about everything. I pick up meats at Save-A-Lot or Lings, pull out a recipe, plug in the crock pot at about noon and have a terrific dinner between 5:00 and 7:00. . . . I have invited a friend or two over and have never had a complaint. Food has always been very good, simple to make and NO fussing. . . . Best money for a kitchen appliance I have ever spent. Matter a fact, I went and bought a second, larger one (5 qrt). . .

Tom and Stanley (the Aruba Guys)

Hmmmmm. Good idea Tom and Stanley. My wheels are turning. We stay in a hotel and have no kitchen or kitchenette, but will have a fridge. However, since you don't need kitchen facilities for a crock pot, I'm thinking I could make at least a few meals with one. A great pulled pork sandwich is simply pork, salsa, corn, black beans in the crock pot. When it's done, shred and put on buns. Clean up of the crock pot could get a little tricky though. Did you buy the crock pot on the island (I'm not familiar with EZEE)? Hopefully, it wasn't too expensive. That would defeat my purpose of trying to save money on eating. I'll have to check my recipes to see what else we can slow-cook in our room while we slow-cook on the beach.

Quote Originally Posted by AUA1989 View Post
    Hmmmmm. Good idea Tom and Stanley. My wheels are turning. We stay in a hotel and have no kitchen or kitchenette, but will have a fridge. However, since you don't need kitchen facilities for a crock pot, I'm thinking I could make at least a few meals with one. A great pulled pork sandwich is simply pork, salsa, corn, black beans in the crock pot. When it's done, shred and put on buns. Clean up of the crock pot could get a little tricky though. Did you buy the crock pot on the island (I'm not familiar with EZEE)? Hopefully, it wasn't too expensive. That would defeat my purpose of trying to save money on eating. I'll have to check my recipes to see what else we can slow-cook in our room while we slow-cook on the beach.
    Yes, I bought them here on the island. Can't remember what I paid, but it was reasonable. EZEE Brothers is on the road by Ling's where the Rent a Car places are located. As far as washing the pot after use, you do have a bath tub in your room. . . . For just two people, I would get the small crock pot (2 1/2 qrt size).

Tom and Stanley (the Aruba Guys)

jkl
    We cook nearly every night while in Aruba. We are not big go out to dinner people so it only seems natural to us. The resort we stay at has very nice grills. We keep it simple; chicken, beef, pork on the grill with a salad some frozen vegetables and call it good. We usually eat a light lunch so we are pretty hungry come dinner time. We have met some of our friends from cooking around the grill. Many people do prefer to eat out so it comes down to personal preference.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast