Aruba Beach
Aruba Nights Island Guide
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree18Likes

Thread: Deposit required for a reservation?

Question Deposit required for a reservation?

I made a reservation for 10 people during the busy period of Christmas and gave my credit card to "hold" the reservation. No big deal as I have done this many times at various restaurants for this time period. Some misunderstanding transpired and this restaurant took a $50 per person deposit NOW for a total of $500! I emailed the restaurant(to which I am a regular customer) and they apologized for the mix up but clearly stated that if we wanted to keep the reservation they needed the $500 as we are a large group. I am used to signing a form stating that if I don't show up or fail to cancel then my credit card is charged but they have my $500 four months in advance! Also being Canadian it is in USD so to refund the money I will loose on the exchange.

SO,
    has anyone ever experienced this before?
    happiness is going to Aruba with your adult kids because they still want to come with their parents

I would be cancelling that reservation!!! We had one instance in which the restaurant requested a credit card to hold the reservation. I declined.

Aruba since 1979
    WOW
    a few years ago, (august 2011) we were a group of 10 or 12 and we were asked to give the credit card.
    i felt very uncomfortable with that, so i called the restaurant and asked that he "forego" this.
    we were accommodated.

so, what are you going to do randi?
    which restaurant is it?

QUOTE=Randi;322118]
    I made a reservation for 10 people during the busy period of Christmas and gave my credit card to "hold" the reservation. No big deal as I have done this many times at various restaurants for this time period. Some misunderstanding transpired and this restaurant took a $50 per person deposit NOW for a total of $500! I emailed the restaurant(to which I am a regular customer) and they apologized for the mix up but clearly stated that if we wanted to keep the reservation they needed the $500 as we are a large group. I am used to signing a form stating that if I don't show up or fail to cancel then my credit card is charged but they have my $500 four months in advance! Also being Canadian it is in USD so to refund the money I will loose on the exchange.

SO,
    has anyone ever experienced this before?[/QUOTE]

Over the last number of years during the Xmas/NY season almost all the restaurants are asking for credit card holds for larger groups. We are usually 6 people and most places now won't give you a reservation without a credit card. Unfortunately, too many ppl took advantage of restaurants and double booked and didn't cancel or canceled at the last minute. I don't blame the restaurants as this is their livelihood. If you don't want to give your credit card then you will miss out on most of the places we see mentioned on this website. That's just the way it is now.
    I have no problem with that but it is the charging of the amount now that I am unhappy with. We want to go to the restaurant and we are two families so I don't have a choice, I guess.
    happiness is going to Aruba with your adult kids because they still want to come with their parents

I put down deposits on lots of things but not a meal- minus our wedding of course. The 500 seems excessive for a charge for sure IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by Randi View Post

Also being Canadian it is in USD so to refund the money I will loose on the exchange.

SO,
    has anyone ever experienced this before?
    Canadian banks will equalise the exchange rate but you have to call them.
    Last edited by act1966; 09-05-2017 at 11:08 PM. Reason: 'cause I'm ghetto

I have given a CC number to hold a reservation many times, even in low season for our groups of 15-18. I've never been accidentally charged.
    Jacki ~ loving Aruba from NJ

Jacki, just as an FYI (for me anyway) it was accidentally charged it was their policy to charge $50 per person in case we didn't show up. My issue is the taking of it prior

I made a reservation with Chalete Swiss sorry for the spelling for 35 people and did not need a credit card to hold the spot, they put us in a separate room was very nice. Dick.
    Next Aruba trip in

Arashi Beach, Hyatt, Radisson, Shopping, Flea Market, Downtown, Palm Beach, Everything
    we made a reservation for 22 people at LePetit Cafe and didn't need to give a credit card or deposit at all.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast