Aruba Beach
Aruba Nights Island Guide
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree18Likes

Thread: Deposit required for a reservation?

The biggest reservation I have made was for 14 at BLT and there was no credit card required.

Wow! That's excessive and uncalled for. I would agree that charging me should I not cancel ahead and not show up. Have you called the credit card company? I'm curious what their position is.

Hoping for a 30th anniversary trip to our favorite place.

I gave them my permission after the fact as they wouldn't hold the reservation otherwise. I think I may email the owner with my concern. Will follow up.
    happiness is going to Aruba with your adult kids because they still want to come with their parents

act1966, how do I get the exchange rate equalized? If I get the money credited back I should call them to ensure the same amount of Canadian money is credited so I don't loose anything once the credit is applied?
    happiness is going to Aruba with your adult kids because they still want to come with their parents

In thinking about it I wonder if the restaurant is financially stable if they need the $500 now. It wouldn't give me a good feeling, what if they closed down. Will you share what restaurant it is?

Quote Originally Posted by Randi View Post
    act1966, how do I get the exchange rate equalized? If I get the money credited back I should call them to ensure the same amount of Canadian money is credited so I don't loose anything once the credit is applied?
    Yes. Your credit card will state the exchange rate used for the credit back and you just tell them it was a refund for the prior transaction (have that transaction info as well).

Randi,
    so here is my question..I know they took he money to hold the reservation but when (IF) you go to the restaurant will they deduct that from the total bill or will they credit the money back if you say you want to pay cash for the dinner ????
    If you decide to forgo the reservations will they give you the deposit back ???
    And if you don't mind me asking ....what restaurant was it ???
    ARUBA....HOME AWAY FROM HOME

So they will give money back if you cancel 48 hours in advance and yes, they will deduct from the bill.

I know a lot of you have asked which restaurant it is but I would prefer not to say as we really like the owner and restaurant. He and I had a recent email exchange about the policy. His explanation was that we are a large group and he has been "stiffed" a number of times from customers who either don't show up call and cancel at the last minute. I do understand this as many places make a good chunk of their business during the very high season and I know that many people are somewhat callus when it comes to booking and canceling reservations. He explained that to actually charge someone after the fact is a very difficult process and very time consuming. So he has made this a business decision. While I totally don't agree with it I do respect his reasoning. We will continue to go to his restaurant but perhaps not in a large group so I won't run into this issue again.

Always nice to be able to get people's perspective on things. One nice thing is when I get there with my family my dinner will already be paid for !

Aruba since 1979
    i am sorry randi i am a bit lost.
    i thought that they just used your card to guarantee that you would show up.
    has the debit already been placed on your card so that when you folks arrive, everyone has a $50 each food credit?

i thought that when you discovered that the charge went thru ($500) you contacted the restaurant and they gave you a credit.

my normally confused brain is a bit more scattered due to the impending storm.
    thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Randi View Post
    So they will give money back if you cancel 48 hours in advance and yes, they will deduct from the bill.

I know a lot of you have asked which restaurant it is but I would prefer not to say as we really like the owner and restaurant. He and I had a recent email exchange about the policy. His explanation was that we are a large group and he has been "stiffed" a number of times from customers who either don't show up call and cancel at the last minute. I do understand this as many places make a good chunk of their business during the very high season and I know that many people are somewhat callus when it comes to booking and canceling reservations. He explained that to actually charge someone after the fact is a very difficult process and very time consuming. So he has made this a business decision. While I totally don't agree with it I do respect his reasoning. We will continue to go to his restaurant but perhaps not in a large group so I won't run into this issue again.

Always nice to be able to get people's perspective on things. One nice thing is when I get there with my family my dinner will already be paid for !

Quote Originally Posted by Andrea J. View Post
    i am sorry randi i am a bit lost.
    i thought that they just used your card to guarantee that you would show up.
    has the debit already been placed on your card so that when you folks arrive, everyone has a $50 each food credit?

i thought that when you discovered that the charge went thru ($500) you contacted the restaurant and they gave you a credit.

my normally confused brain is a bit more scattered due to the impending storm.
    thanks
    No problem, Andrea!
    They charged my credit card $500 already. When I submitted the form I didn't realize they were going to charge me a deposit of $50 pp now. When I inquired about the charge they offered to refund the $500 but I wouldn't be able to hold the reservation. I then contacted the owner and we exchanged a few emails about this issue.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast