Aruba Beach
Aruba Nights Island Guide

View Poll Results: Do you avoid restaurants that apply a service charge?

Voters
18. You may not vote on this poll
  • I avoid these restaurants.

2 11.11%
  • I eat anywhere the food is good.

16 88.89%
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree6Likes

Thread: Do You Avoid Restaurants That Apply A Service Charge?

Quote Originally Posted by AndyM View Post
    I search for great restaurants. I read reviews, read the posts on this forum and decide. I want restaurants where I can get a great meal. The service charge does not enter into the decision making process any more than the color of the furniture.
    We do the same.

Although, I do love going to Europe where we don't have to deal with it at all and just "round up" for good service. We just returned from Portugal and they are the same as the other countries we've visited regularly - just round up for good service. If it was "above and beyond" then we may leave more but it's not expected.
    ~Amy~ - 35th trip to Aruba: New Years Eve 2017/2018 -- Zihuatanejo, MX: March 2018 -- Ireland: June/July 2018 -- 36th trip to Aruba: Sept. 2018

Quote Originally Posted by act1966 View Post
    To be honest, the poll is a little leading. The responses should reflect your feelings on service charges all things being equal.

All things being the same: food, ambiance, location quality etc. and it came down to two restaurants, would you go to the one with the service charge or the one without?

I'm a strong believer in tipping freedom or the European model. If the service and food are lousy, how would you feel about the service charge then?
    This is not the intent of my poll. There are several other threads where people have been expressing their feelings on SC. I'm simply asking if people make a conscious decision to avoid restaurants that have a SC.

Quote Originally Posted by AndyM View Post
    This is not the intent of my poll. There are several other threads where people have been expressing their feelings on SC. I'm simply asking if people make a conscious decision to avoid restaurants that have a SC.
    Sorry, I used to design these for a living (polling) so I'm a bit of a stickler on how responses are positioned.

The way it's currently written dictates contradictory biases on both the former and latter responses - "I hate service charges" vs "I like to eat good food" which are two different topics.

A more apt position to get to the heart of the matter might be...

Does an establishment assessing a service charge influence your choice of restaurant?

With a straight "yes" or "no" response option.

And then the subsequent comments could explain why people voted one way or another.

No offense: I'm a data wonk.

"I avoid these restaurants" (that assess a Service Charge)
    "I eat anywhere the food is good" (regardless of Service Charge)

I don't see these two as contradictory. I see then as a yes or no response. Could I have worded them differently? Yes.

I read reviews here on the forum and search out good food. If a place includes a service charge, I pay it, but I better get good service for that charge. I give the place a chance, see how the service and food measure up and will add an additional tip if service is outstanding. What really gets me are the servers that play the "I don't get any money from the service charge card". If you don't go above and beyond you won't get extra money from me either. I want to say "maybe you should go get a job where the server gets the tips instead of the owner".

I thought the survey questions wording was just fine, but I'm not the sharpest hammer in the drawer...

We go to places that we like and we don't even think about the Service Charge, but if the service is bad I will bring it to there attention and not pay it. But the decision to go or not go to a Restaurant is never based on Service Charge. Dick.
    Next Aruba trip in

No, we don't avoid them, I would rather it not be there, but I include that as part of my tip then add 5-10% depending on service, maybe more. I have become less cheap (not implying others are). I figure if they treat me well, I will treat them well. We all win from that.

Unfortunately I tip on the credit card. I try to be cashless all the time (using my phone in the states-tap and go). I don't want to worry about losing it and the points are a nice bonus.

This trip my wife and I will take $200 in cash total for tips that must be in cash, airport etc. We r renting a car so no taxi is required. Plus I know the ATM at the tamarijn only charges about $3 if needed.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12