Aruba Beach
Aruba Nights Island Guide
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree7Likes

Thread: Fermin's Bar BQ

Fermin's Bar BQ

Fermin's Bar BQ (yeah, that's how the spell it) is easy to find. From the highrise hotel area, take the road to the main intersection in Noord where the closed police station is. Turn right, toward Oranjestaad, and keep looking on your left, about 2 minutes down that road. Big sign.

The guy cooking won the WEMA BBQ ribs contest three years in a row. The ribs are much better than the regular grilled ones you'll find around the island. And the chicken was nicely seasoned. Platters come with two sides, among which are baked beans, cole slaw, garlic mashed, and so on. Sides are a little small, but the platter all together is plenty to eat. Prices are local, about 17-25 florins per platter.

Great music on the jukebox, 70's and 80's tunes, and I could understand the lyrics (which did not involve the F-bomb or grossly misogynistic diatribes as much of the rap crap spouts these days). Very refreshing.

For a quick look at the joint and the food, here's the video:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P1gPM9ASkNs

Bon dia and keep eating.

Aruba's Novelist in Residence (sometimes)
    http://www.bentpage.wordpress.com/

Hey Dan, Thanks for the tip. You sold us on Scotts Bratts so maybe you do like to eat. As a local food critic, could you let us know who wins best ribs? Hollywood Smoke House or Fermin's BBQ? Thanks for all your Aruba advise.
    Sean and Susan

Always looking for good "Q". Will add to the list. Thanks Dan!

Dan, you missed one other things about Fermin's, they have the coldest beer on the island. I have been here a few times and always found it to be great. It has two terrific things going for it - 1. it's close to my house and 2. the prices are very reasonable for great food. . . .

Tom and Stanley (the Aruba Guys)

jaw
    Are they open in the evening? How late?

Doing take away there tonight! I have the menu in front of me and it does not have the hours on it...If I think of it i'll have Scott ask the hours...
    Scotts Brats
    Playa Linda Resort
    facebook - Legends Pub Aruba
    legendspubaruba.com
    Legends Pub

My wife and I stopped at Fermin's three times during our two week stay last year. Michel is a very gracious host. The food was excellent and the prices very reasonable. It's a great place to stop if you want to mingle with the local's and escape the tourist traps. We'll be back on the island in a few weeks and expect to stop by more frequently this year. Also wanted to mention that Michel, the owner, also sells his own barbecue sauce at many of the grocery stores on the island. It is called Aruba Heat. We brought a few variety packs home for ourselves and family. Needless to say, our family took the bulk of it and then asked for more, so we'll be bringing back a lot more this year. Great stuff...!
    Last edited by schexc; 01-23-2014 at 11:21 AM.

Is it possible to walk there from the high rise area? Is this on the bus route? We are coming down for our 7th visit and are looking for some place new. Hope this is as good as it sounds?

Aruba since 1979
    it is probably a good 3 mile walk one way.
    i dont know if it's on the bus route.

Quote Originally Posted by Sumjays View Post
    Is it possible to walk there from the high rise area? Is this on the bus route? We are coming down for our 7th visit and are looking for some place new. Hope this is as good as it sounds?

It would be quite the hike from the High Rise Area. We stopped there a number of times in February this year. We talked to Michel and he said they were planning on expanding the menu this summer. We'll be on the island in November and plan on stopping in a few times to see what he's come up with.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast