Aruba Beach
Aruba Nights Island Guide
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree13Likes

Thread: Fishes & More or Less?

Fishes & More or Less?

Ate there 2 nights ago and ordered grouper but almost sure we got tilapia. A grouper fillet should be more than a quarter inch thick. Zeerovers for fish was a whole other world, and a much better one.

We've been once, maybe twice? The most memorable was when we had friends with us and we all had the early bird specials. It was a nice setting inside, food was a great value. The grouper was fine for us, but that was over a year ago. We consider Fishes and More one of our go-to options for an early dinner we can walk to at the last minute.
    Not sure when, but we will be back

It's called basa. Very similar to tilapia. There are many restaurants in Aruba that try to "pawn" it off on tourists. I had a conversation with a man at Charlie's(he worked there) a couple years ago because we knew the restaurants were serving this instead of grouper. It's awful because they charge astronomically for it and it cost next to nothing to buy! I hope I'm not opening a can of worms Andrea?!

Aruba since 1979
    there have been other postings here and there, on this forum about a cheaper type of fish being passed off as tilapia.
    i certainly hope it did not happen.
    fishes & more has a great reputation.

i had grouper 2 nights ago at a local place here in tampa bay area. (frenchys) we both had grouper sandwiches and the grouper was white, thick and dense.

a few weeks ago we had grouper at a restaurant in the town of celebration, up near disney. the grouper served was not grouper, and when we expressed our dissatisfaction to the waitress she explained to us it was a fish called "swai".
    we did not eat it, did not pay for it and ended up having fish and chips at epcot.

Quote Originally Posted by permitman View Post
    Ate there 2 nights ago and ordered grouper but almost sure we got tilapia. A grouper fillet should be more than a quarter inch thick. Zeerovers for fish was a whole other world, and a much better one.

Aruba since 1979
    the can of worms has been opened many times before joeytruck
    sometimes they are passed off as baby snakes
    Quote Originally Posted by joeytruck View Post
    It's called basa. Very similar to tilapia. There are many restaurants in Aruba that try to "pawn" it off on tourists. I had a conversation with a man at Charlie's(he worked there) a couple years ago because we knew the restaurants were serving this instead of grouper. It's awful because they charge astronomically for it and it cost next to nothing to buy! I hope I'm not opening a can of worms Andrea?!

Palm Beach, Arashi Beach and Manchebo Beach
    Quote Originally Posted by Andrea J. View Post
    there have been other postings here and there, on this forum about a cheaper type of fish being passed off as tilapia.
    i certainly hope it did not happen.
    fishes & more has a great reputation.

i had grouper 2 nights ago at a local place here in tampa bay area. (frenchys) we both had grouper sandwiches and the grouper was white, thick and dense.

a few weeks ago we had grouper at a restaurant in the town of celebration, up near disney. the grouper served was not grouper, and when we expressed our dissatisfaction to the waitress she explained to us it was a fish called "swai".
    we did not eat it, did not pay for it and ended up having fish and chips at epcot.
    Swai and Basa are pretty interchangeable. I remember buying it once from the fish counter at the grocery store. It isn't for me.

Visit onehappypodcast.com
    the officially unofficial podcast of the island of Aruba. Tips, tricks and stories about the best place on earth! If you don't listen you are missing out.

A few years ago I was visiting a friend from Brandon ( few miles outside of Tampa)..we went out for dinner and the first thing I wanted to order was grouper. She expressly forbade me from ordering it saying that many restaurants were selling a whitefish as grouper. She said she was told something about the season being very low on grouper or something similar.....went this october and she "allowed" me to order again saying things were mostly back to normal and that this particular place was very reputable....
    My point being that...no matter where you go if you are unfamiliar with what you are ordering you are at the risk of being ripped off....sad but true.....:-(
    ARUBA....HOME AWAY FROM HOME

Aruba since 1979
    exactly right danadog. we live about 20 miles east of brandon.

we had grouper tonight, i bought it at publix and cooked it in the air fryer. it was indeed grouper.

i certainly hope that there are no restaurants in aruba passing off this "basa/swai/cat food-like fish" as grouper.

Quote Originally Posted by danadog56 View Post
    A few years ago I was visiting a friend from Brandon ( few miles outside of Tampa)..we went out for dinner and the first thing I wanted to order was grouper. She expressly forbade me from ordering it saying that many restaurants were selling a whitefish as grouper. She said she was told something about the season being very low on grouper or something similar.....went this october and she "allowed" me to order again saying things were mostly back to normal and that this particular place was very reputable....
    My point being that...no matter where you go if you are unfamiliar with what you are ordering you are at the risk of being ripped off....sad but true.....:-(

Eagle Beach, Baby Beach, Arashi Beach Tierra Del Sol golf course
    So far we have not had a problem getting real grouper on Aruba. DW did order grouper at El Gaucho one night and when it came it was not grouper. Manager was called and turned out she had been given the sea bass "by mistake". We do not order sea food at El Gaucho any more as we have gotten bad lobster and fish on several occasions and management will not make it right. If you go there, stick to the steaks or chicken.

Oh I hope it wasn't chillean sea bass you turned down. That fish is way better than grouper and more expensive. Taste like lobster to me.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast