Aruba Beach
Aruba Nights Island Guide
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    The Beach, the ocean, the sun, the breeze and something refreshing to sip!

Flying Fishbone and more

We picked our restaurants and made our reservations, please let me know any suggestions or opinions.

First, I've heard nothing back from FF for our first planned dinner. They are open Sunday's right? This is like the 5th business day and I sent them another email asking what is going on. Any ideas on this one?

We arrive on 4/5...playing that one by ear...staying at the Bucuti and thinking seriously about walking, I mean stumbling down the beach to Matthew's. I just know once we hit the bar, the beach and the water there is no going back...

Sunday...FF if they ever get back to me.

Monday..play it by ear..some ideas Marina Pirata, Pinchos, Yemanjan, Salt and Peppers
    (sorry about my spelling)

Tues..Tranquilio and Screaming Eagle ( a later reservation)

Wed. Play it by ear...see above list

Thurs. MJ's

Friday..Marandi's, We didn't do the sunset time on this one only because its our last day on the beach and I'm not going to want to run off for dinner.

Saturday..get up as early as possible, hit the beach and make a last min. run for the plane...I will def. be happy to see my kids and pets but the rat race starts all over and since we are sending our first one to college next year it will be a while before we can afford to go on a vacation that doesn't involve soccer or a college visit.
    Such is life....

I think I have read before that the Flying Fishbone does not generally respond to emails . Check your spam folder? You can always have the concierge call to confirm for you upon your arrival.

Other choices I like are Marina Pirata and Salt and Pepper.

Loved Tranquilo! Captain Anthony and Gregory were terrific.

Sopranos Piano Bar, Café 080, Costa Linda
    Gonna sort through your list... hope this helps!

FLYING FISHBONE: A must-go when they initiated torch lit dinner on the beach, and "barefoot elegance", dining on nice food with your toes in the sand. The question is whether you want to make the trip to Saveneta, when place after place on Eagle and Palm Beach now have torch-lit toes-in-the-sand elegant dining.
    Please keep in mind that currently, much of the government workers are on strike, and as such, only very few essential police are on the streets, on an island with no drunk driving laws.

Salt n Pepper: In charming Arawak Gardens, I do enjoy Salt n Pepper, where the daily specials really do change daily. There are always several of them, and they are consistently good. You can have a variety of tapas, simple sandwiches, or nice seafood. Their waitstaff is excellent and friendly.

Screamin' Eagle: I went in the other night with a pal for cocktails. The new atmosphere is really nice. Huge planters on the bar, wrought iron fixtures, music at the right volume, friendly dutch barstaff. We had caipherinas at the bar for $6.50 that were very powerful and well received! We had reservations elsewhere, but watched a lot of the food go by. Plating (presentation) is excellent. Prices tend quite a bit higher than similar items at other oft-frequented restaurants, so it's not a place to economize. They also have a cushioned area sectioned off by gauze curtains, for those who want what they call "dinner in bed".

For me, MJ was more about the atmosphere and experience than the food, which I thought could have been punchier. It's really gorgeous in their courtyard. Others rave, but our offerings read better than they ate. We loved the music of ACOUSTIC SOUL. Reservations do not mean you will be seated at the time you've reserved, so plan on being patient. For a total experience, it's great.

We went back to Flying Fishbone in Feb. after not having been there in a number of years. I have to say I was a bit dissappointed with a few aspects. Firstly, the tables are more squished together than before so intimate meals are not as "intimate". However, we did enjoy our new dinner friends from the other three tables surrounding us. The service and food were average. They are the same owner as Screaming Eagles and that restaurant was far above FF in terms of food and unbelievable service.
    We very much enjoyed Gianni's (Italian) and sat outside. We also love LG Smith. Outside, one of our favourites is definately Mirandi's. We went to Marina Pirata and the fish was outstanding. The best! It is far out, before FF but after Mirandi's. Also, the atmosphere is "so so". If you want to sit "in the sand", Simply Fish is very good!

Enjoy!!
    happiness is going to Aruba with your adult kids because they still want to come with their parents

I Have Tried To Make Reservations On Line At Madame Janettes Two Weeks Ago And Have Not Heard Back - I Sent Them Another One. Do They Take Reservations On Line Usually? This Is For April.

Joanie

Quote Originally Posted by JOANIE A View Post
    I Have Tried To Make Reservations On Line At Madame Janettes Two Weeks Ago And Have Not Heard Back - I Sent Them Another One. Do They Take Reservations On Line Usually? This Is For April.

Joanie
    Just a thought, by any chance, did you check your spam folder?

Hey Joanie A

I just made reservations the other day on line with Madame Janettes. It took a couple hours for them to get back to me, but they did. I would try again and check your Spam email. Good Luck!

Thank You!!! Where In New England Are You From?

Joanie A

From

We are from Southern New Hampshire on the Massachusetts border. Still have two foot snowbanks at the end of the driveway to prove it.

If you want a good alternative to Flying Fishbone, try Brisas del Mar (brisasdelmararuba.com, 297-584-7718). When you enter Savaneta and turn off the main road to go toward the FF, you will see Brisas there on the right side on the water. After several changes in ownership, it's finally gotten it right. The new owners are Dutch and the food is excellent. I had dinner there w/some friends 2 weeks ago and the lamb chops were delicious! Like the FF, Brisas is right on the water and the place has been nicely remodeled.

You also mentioned Marandi. Great food but it's tucked into the mangroves. Wear bug stray, especially if it's rained recently. Almost got eaten alive there once until a sweet patron shared her OFF Spray w/me.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast