Aruba Beach
Aruba Nights Island Guide
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Flying Fishbone versus Old Man and the Sea

Let's add Passions to the list as well.
    OK.....First visit to Aruba. All of these places look fantastic from their websites. They get great reviews. I'd like to take my wife to a romantic place like one of these..never dined with our feet in the water before...much less on the beach close to the water. We have a rental car so driving is not a problem. Most important is quality and portions that make you feel like you are fully satisfied and money well spent. Good service is a plus. We understand island time so we are not in a hurry. A good sunset view sounds terrific. Live music is a plus..if it is soft and romantic! I know everyone has their favorite place...we love good fresh seafood and steaks...decisions..decisions....help me .....please?
    Thanks for your input!

We've been to all 3 and I would pick Passions first if you're looking for a great sunset view along with service and food. They have live music (soft, romantic) which is a guy and his keyboard and alot of couples will get up from their table and dance in the sand.

Old Man & The Sea was good also and we would not hesitate to go back but....the way the restaurant sits back around a bend you will not see the sunset from your table.

Flying Fishbone is also very good and is just around that bend from the Old Man & The Sea (so you will get a sunset view) but....they have been adding too many tables since we first started going there so we no longer find it romantic with tables so close together (we like to feel like we're the only ones there and not hear conversations or smell smoke next to us.) This is, however, the only place of the 3 where you can get a table so close to the water that your feet can (and will) be in it.

So, of the 3, Passions gets my vote.
    ~Amy~ - Playa del Carmen, MX: March 2017 - 34th trip to Aruba: May 2017 - Munich, Salzburg, Prague: June/July 2017 - Santa Barbara, CA wine country: Nov. 2017 - Seattle: Nov. 2017 - 35th trip to Aruba: New Years Eve 2017/2018

Reniassance Island & Surf Club Lazy River
    Been to all 3...
    Passions we weren't in love with, however, lots of people on this site love it, so don't take my word on it. Might have been a off day. Thing I hate is the ladies room is across the street and that doesn't work to well for me after a few drinks..
    FF- Tables way way to close for me. I mean your chair buts up against others. Food otherwise good, service good, lovely location for sunset.
    OMATS-tables spread far apart, excellent meal for us( some didn't love it), manager stopped and spokw with us...probably our bet meal in 13 yrs of going...
    I will throw a few others into the mix: Mirandi and Pinchos, both water front..and good. NO MATTER WHAT YOU WILL ENJOY .....

Quote Originally Posted by cindyo View Post
    Thing I hate is the ladies room is across the street and that doesn't work to well for me after a few drinks..
    They now have a new bathroom on the beach for Passions. It is not open during the day but only at night for Passions' patrons.
    ~Amy~ - Playa del Carmen, MX: March 2017 - 34th trip to Aruba: May 2017 - Munich, Salzburg, Prague: June/July 2017 - Santa Barbara, CA wine country: Nov. 2017 - Seattle: Nov. 2017 - 35th trip to Aruba: New Years Eve 2017/2018

Reniassance Island & Surf Club Lazy River
    Quote Originally Posted by ~Amy~ View Post
    They now have a new bathroom on the beach for Passions. It is not open during the day but only at night for Passions' patrons.

Great news ~Amy~...makes a huge difference to me !

Quote Originally Posted by cindyo View Post
    Great news ~Amy~...makes a huge difference to me !
    ...and it is Chuckie approved!

Quote Originally Posted by Arubalisa View Post
    ...and it is Chuckie approved!
    Her approval is good enough for me!

I can't wait to try it in Sept. (never thought I'd be saying that about a bathroom!)

I've never eaten at Passions, so I cannot comment on that. OMATS has their tables much farther apart than Flying Fishbone and is much more romantic. I agree you will not see the sunset from OMATS, but other than that it is very special. The music was wonderful the night we were there. I don't know if it is the same each night, but very romantic. I like Flying Fishbone, but I agree that the tables are too close together.

I'm thinking of reserving the private little island at the OMATS, anyone tried that yet?

If you can afford it, go for it...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast