Aruba Beach
Aruba Nights Island Guide
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree37Likes

Thread: Fred - November 2016

Fred - November 2016

Part 1

What happens when you take "2 Fools and a Bull" and combine it with a renovated second floor at "Que Pasa"? You get, "Fred".

The space has been completely overhauled by the chef and owner, the illustrious, Fred, from "2Fools" and "Marandi" fame. Fred's been on island for seventeen years now and has a pragmatic sensibility about restaurant culture in Aruba. He opened "Fred" in July - quite the daring move considering it's really low season at that point but also smart because it allowed them to work the inevitable kinks out.

It's a well-known concept here: put a bunch of strangers together in communal seating and serve a prix fixe menu with some swell wines. Why mess with a good thing?

We started the night with a cocktail at the "Que Pasa" bar downstairs (yes, they're still chugging along) - interesting note: they had a sign that said "As of December 1st, Que Pasa bar will be a smoke-free environment." Guess Aruba is finally catching up with the rest of the world.

Promptly at 7:00, our host, Tom, ushered us all upstairs for a cocktail on the terrace before adjourning to the open kitchen for dinner. At this point, I'm sporting a vodka/soda and sparking wine with fruit (kind of like a white sangria) so the night is off to a roaring start!

Here's a shot of the renovated space:

Fred - November 2016-img_0071.jpg

Tom presented the menu with side commentary by the omnipresent Fred. Here's what was on tap for the evening:

Fred - November 2016-img_0070.jpg

First up was the Cornish Hen salad - delicious...

Fred - November 2016-img_0072.jpg

Then Fred unleashed a mustard soup that everybody in the place was licking the bowl after....oyster mushrooms, bok chop, veal ravioli and bacon bits in a deeply flavour mustard seed-based soup... the culinary heavens opened up and I screamed, "TAKE ME NOW!!!'

Fred - November 2016-img_0073.jpg

Aruba since 1979
    oh wonderful!

did u ever save the 2 bulls review?

Third was a beautifully prepared Chilean Sea Bass with smoked eel that made a lot of eyes roll back into their heads. The Spouse doesn't like fish so I promptly shoved him out of the way and gobbled the entire thing up - one note: Tom informed us that, if we'd let them know in advance, they would have prepared an alternate to the fish course for The Spouse. Too bad! I win!

Fred - November 2016-img_0074.jpg

We then moved on to the course that also made the move from "2Fools"... Fred's signature dish: Beef Wellington. My Catholic guilt took over and I promptly handed The Spouse my beef wellie - I'm pretty sure this gets me a one way ticket to heaven...

Fred - November 2016-img_0075.jpg

And then dessert - little versions of creme brle, apple pie and red berry yogurt. Have I mentioned that plate licking is now standard behaviour at this point?

Fred - November 2016-img_0076.jpg

All courses had breaks in between and were paired with beautiful wine options.

We retired to the terrace at the end of the night for convivial chatter and then I was presented with a bill folio that had a note inside wishing me a happy birthday from our friends in Toronto. I was gobsmacked.

If you're looking for a special, fun night... I would HIGHLY recommend "Fred".

Aruba since 1979
    lost me on the eel

everything else sounds magnificent!

your friends ....it was a gift?
    excellent.

Quote Originally Posted by Andrea J. View Post
    oh wonderful!

did u ever save the 2 bulls review?
    You bet I did - I think it was the first review I ever wrote for the Forum. We should have an NC-17, "Forum After Dark" page!!

lost me on the eel

everything else sounds magnificent!

your friends ....it was a gift?
    excellent.
    Yes - we've all been trying to outdo each other for our respective fiftieth birthdays. I was completely shocked... I can't even imagine how difficult it was arranging payment remotely from Canada.

Aruba since 1979
    will you send it to me?

i am thinking that i may like to see it posted
    now that we know you and appreciated your hysterical sense of warped humor
    i think it would be a GO!
    Quote Originally Posted by act1966 View Post
    You bet I did - I think it was the first review I ever wrote for the Forum. We should have an NC-17, "Forum After Dark" page!!

I would be happy with just the mustard soup! With the exception of eel, the menu sounds wonderful.

will you send it to me?

i am thinking that i may like to see it posted
    now that we know you and appreciated your hysterical sense of warped humor
    i think it would be a GO!
    OMG... I'm re-reading it and there's no way we can re-post this. LOLLLLLLLLL What was I thinking?!?

Quote Originally Posted by Pegmeister View Post
    I would be happy with just the mustard soup! With the exception of eel, the menu sounds wonderful.
    Then you come sit next to me, Peg, and I'll trade you some beef wellington for that eel...!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast