Aruba Beach
Aruba Nights Island Guide
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Unhappy frustration with our favourite little Italian restaurant

As a tradition over the past three years, we enjoy going to this Italian restaurant close to our hotel the first night once our three families arrive from different parts of North America. Great pizza, good service and very enjoyable. We are a group of 14 and always forget to make a reservation. We arrive and obviously have to wait until a large table is available. The staff are friendly but understandably stressed as they want to accomodate us in a timely manner.

Well this year, I thought I would get on top of things and make a reservation ahead of time! Much to my surprise planning 6 months in advance does not do me any good. The restaurant does not want to give me a 7:30pm reservation? They want us to come at 6:30pm. I have explained that due to the other families travel schedule into Aruba, this would not work. They do not want to give us a reservation for that time but have directed us to their downtown location instead. We do not want to go downtown. So they are forcing us to either not go to their restaurant or show up as we have in the past and make them upset that we "just showed up without a reservation for such a large group"!

Does this make any sense?
    happiness is going to Aruba with your adult kids because they still want to come with their parents

Quote Originally Posted by Randi View Post
    They do not want to give us a reservation for that time but have directed us to their downtown location instead. We do not want to go downtown. So they are forcing us to either not go to their restaurant or show up as we have in the past and make them upset that we "just showed up without a reservation for such a large group"!

Does this make any sense?
    Randi, this is very disheartening and unfortunate. Stupid actually.

A table of 14 is a sizeable amount and any logicial person would think that they would welcome your business. Even more so in light of the fact that you are obviously long time customers.

Unfortunately you may have to take your business and hard earned money elsewhere to a restaurant which IS willing to accommodate you. Thank God there are no shortages of restaurants on the island of Aruba.

We painfully learned one of our traditions will be changed in the future after our past trip to Aruba. Just a fact of life I suppose, but saddening nonetheless. I can surely empathize.

What's the name of the establishment?

I was trying to decide if I should say the name of the restaurant right from the beginning. I am still emailing back and forth with them trying to see if they will relent and give us a reservation. Quite frankly, I would love to name them as I can not believe their stupidity!!

Should I name them???
    happiness is going to Aruba with your adult kids because they still want to come with their parents

Aruba since 1979
    yes, you should only if you feel comfortable with it.

is there a different person at the restuarant that you can communicate with?

andrea
    Quote Originally Posted by Randi View Post
    I was trying to decide if I should say the name of the restaurant right from the beginning. I am still emailing back and forth with them trying to see if they will relent and give us a reservation. Quite frankly, I would love to name them as I can not believe their stupidity!!

Should I name them???
    Last edited by Andrea J.; 07-29-2008 at 09:44 AM.

Senior Member Liz - Aruba Lover's Avatar
    I have the owners email if you need it.

I think I have been dealing with the manager?? I will PM you for the owner's name. I think I gave enough "hints" that one can probably figure out which restaurant I am talking about!

Reniassance Island & Surf Club Lazy River
    Randi...I know which one you're talking bout...cindy

I haven't figured it out, but no matter.
    They either want your business or they don't.
    Is the food THAT wonderful?
    Is their food and service worth the aggravation of jumping through hoops to dine there?
    Not trying to be critical...just trying to understand...

Well, I would normally say FORGET IT and go elsewhere but after spending the day travelling and you want to go somewhere (here are a few more hints!) fast, close to the high rise section, not expensive with a variety of Italian food (great personal size pizza, we love it) for everyone, it is just an easy choice. Don't want to be redirected to their new restaurant in the downtown area.

I have to say that a few of the other restaurants have tried to push earlier reservations too (6:30pm), which I understand as they can turn over more tables in a night, but when I refuse they will give me the asked for reservation time. NOT THIS ONE!!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast