Aruba Beach
Aruba Nights Island Guide
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Quote Originally Posted by ~Amy~ View Post
    Another vote for Nos Cunucu if you want to eat Aruban food. Every time I've been there we've been the only Americans in the place.
    We tried to eat there 3 weeks ago, but it was closed for renovations. We spoke to a guy working there who guesstimated that it would be another 3 weeks or so before it reopened. Anyway, we missed the chance this time around but plan to try it next visit. Is it true Nos Cunucu is under new ownership? If so, I hope they don't change too much!

They have a new restaurant manager there now so service seems to be much better. I've been there several times but have never tried their Keshi Yena (have only had it at Gasparito) - will have to give a try this year.
    Had the Keshi Yena at Tulip 3 weeks ago and it was good. But I would like to try it elsewhere to make a comparison - any suggestions on what other restaurant offers up a fantabulous Keshi Yena?

Service was good until it was time to get the check - had to wait quite a while for it.

Quote Originally Posted by EHampite View Post
    Is it true Nos Cunucu is under new ownership? If so, I hope they don't change too much!
    Yes, new owners when we were there in Sept. Menu has changed a little but not too much. They "cleaned" the place up a bit and it looks nice but I miss the really rustic look of the old place with the donkey looking over my shoulder as I ate.
    ~Amy~ - 35th trip to Aruba: New Years Eve 2017/2018 -- Zihuatanejo, MX: March 2018 -- Ireland: June/July 2018 -- 36th trip to Aruba: Sept. 2018

For anyone interested:

http://www.nedine.com/Recipe/Entrees/International/Caribbean/KeshiYenaChicken/KeshiYenaChickenTXT.htm

1-LB Dutch Gouda (sliced)
    1-large Onion
    4-tablespoons Melted Butter
    2-cups Cooked Chicken (or similar amount of fish which has been cooked. Canned tuna maybe used, cut into small pieces)
    1-large Tomato (peeled, chopped)
    2 Dill Pickles (minced)
    1-large Green Pepper (seeded and chopped finely
    8-large Green Stuffed Olives (sliced) 1-tablespoon Minced Garlic
    -cup Golden Raisins
    1 tablespoon Prepared Mustard
    cup Ketchup
    -teaspoon Worcestershire Sauce
    1-cup Chopped Cashew Nut
    Butter

Butter a deep 10-12 inch glass baking pan and lay 2/3 of the sliced gouda on bottom. Melt 4 tablespoons butter in skillet, add onions and fry until golden brown. Add tomato, pickles, green pepper, olives, capers, garlic, raisins, mustard. Ketchup, thyme, Worcestershire sauce and chopped cashew nuts.
    Spread this mixture on top of the sliced gouda and cover with the remaining slices of gouda.
    Put into a large baking pan and fill with water about half way up the sides of the Keshi Yena pan.
    Bake in preheated 350 degree over for 30 minutes.

Jerry's (my dh ) Keshi Yena

Ingredients
    7 oz. Dutch Gouda, sliced (approximately)
    2 T. oil
    1 Large onion, chopped fine
    4 - 5 lb whole fryer/chicken
    1 can Delmonte tomatoes with green pepper and onion
    1/2 large green pepper (seeded and chopped finely)
    1/4 to 1/3 cup brown sugar, start with 1/4 add more to taste
    1/2 cup Ketchup
    1 t. Worcestershire Sauce
    1/4 cup corn starch

Directions
    Stew chicken, pull apart. Place desired amount aside.
    Place oil in pan, heat, brown onion.
    Add rest of ingredients, stir well and place in 13 x 9 x 2 baking pan. Top with sliced cheese.
    Bake covered loosely with tin foil, 350 degrees for about 60 minutes.

Yes, new owners when we were there in Sept. Menu has changed a little but not too much. They "cleaned" the place up a bit and it looks nice but I miss the really rustic look of the old place with the donkey looking over my shoulder as I ate.
    Thanks, Amy. We will definitely have to try it next time. The monkey and the peacocks were still around when we drove by a few weeks ago, but no sight of the donkeys or goats.

Lisa, recipes sound delish!!! I will have to try them. These don't sound quite as tomato-y as the one at Tulip, and sounds like they have more cheese! Yum! Thanks for sharing!!

Quote Originally Posted by Arubalisa View Post
    For anyone interested:

http://www.nedine.com/Recipe/Entrees/International/Caribbean/KeshiYenaChicken/KeshiYenaChickenTXT.htm

1-LB Dutch Gouda (sliced)
    1-large Onion
    4-tablespoons Melted Butter
    2-cups Cooked Chicken (or similar amount of fish which has been cooked. Canned tuna maybe used, cut into small pieces)
    1-large Tomato (peeled, chopped)
    2 Dill Pickles (minced)
    1-large Green Pepper (seeded and chopped finely
    8-large Green Stuffed Olives (sliced) 1-tablespoon Minced Garlic
    -cup Golden Raisins
    1 tablespoon Prepared Mustard
    cup Ketchup
    -teaspoon Worcestershire Sauce
    1-cup Chopped Cashew Nut
    Butter

Butter a deep 10-12 inch glass baking pan and lay 2/3 of the sliced gouda on bottom. Melt 4 tablespoons butter in skillet, add onions and fry until golden brown. Add tomato, pickles, green pepper, olives, capers, garlic, raisins, mustard. Ketchup, thyme, Worcestershire sauce and chopped cashew nuts.
    Spread this mixture on top of the sliced gouda and cover with the remaining slices of gouda.
    Put into a large baking pan and fill with water about half way up the sides of the Keshi Yena pan.
    Bake in preheated 350 degree over for 30 minutes.

Jerry's (my dh ) Keshi Yena

Ingredients
    7 oz. Dutch Gouda, sliced (approximately)
    2 T. oil
    1 Large onion, chopped fine
    4 - 5 lb whole fryer/chicken
    1 can Delmonte tomatoes with green pepper and onion
    1/2 large green pepper (seeded and chopped finely)
    1/4 to 1/3 cup brown sugar, start with 1/4 add more to taste
    1/2 cup Ketchup
    1 t. Worcestershire Sauce
    1/4 cup corn starch

Directions
    Stew chicken, pull apart. Place desired amount aside.
    Place oil in pan, heat, brown onion.
    Add rest of ingredients, stir well and place in 13 x 9 x 2 baking pan. Top with sliced cheese.
    Bake covered loosely with tin foil, 350 degrees for about 60 minutes.

Senior Member Liz - Aruba Lover's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by EHampite View Post
    Thanks, Amy. We will definitely have to try it next time. The monkey and the peacocks were still around when we drove by a few weeks ago, but no sight of the donkeys or goats.
    EHampite - You may not have seen my post but the Nos Cunucu that was in the past has closed. Robby & Anabela (owners of Pinchos Grill & Bar) took over Nos Cunucu last April. They kept the name Nos Cunucu. They closed Nos Cunucu 7 months later in November. Since they leased the restaurant from the owner of the property, they don't know what restaurant will be going in next or what the name will be.

Quote Originally Posted by Liz - Aruba Lover View Post
    EHampite - You may not have seen my post but the Nos Cunucu that was in the past has closed. Robby & Anabela (owners of Pinchos Grill & Bar) took over Nos Cunucu last April. They kept the name Nos Cunucu. They closed Nos Cunucu 7 months later in November. Since they leased the restaurant from the owner of the property, they don't know what restaurant will be going in next or what the name will be.
    Liz, I guess I did miss your post. That's too bad that Nos Cunucu has closed for good. While there are plenty of restaurants on the island, we enjoy this type of local restaurant away from the tourist areas. We'll have to keep searching for others. Thanks, Liz.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12