Aruba Beach
Aruba Nights Island Guide
Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By SanNic44
  • 1 Post By Cple
  • 1 Post By ~Amy~

Thread: Gostoso - just okay

Gostoso - just okay

I find message boards like this and sites like TripAdvisor helpful, but every once and a while I find myself with high expectations based on a review, rating, or referral only to be underwhelmed. Thus was the case on Sunday when my wife and I had dinner at Gostoso.

Based on the Tripadvisor rating (#4 on Aruba) and the visual eye-candy of their website, we thought we may have found yet another culinary gem on the island that would be bustling with activity and have our taste buds dancing all evening.

The restaurant was less than 1/4 full (that could be b/c of Sunday being a turnaround day), the food was ho-hum, and the service (while attentive) was awkward - lots of people and we weren't sure who had what role . . . host, server, chef, bus-boy . . .

This is not to say that we completely disliked our visit . . . just based on the Tripadvisor rating (rated ahead of Barefoot, Amuse Bistro, and de Suikertuin) and the expectations set by both the reviews and their website . . . it just fell short.

Michael

Thanks for the review. And this is the reason why I'm gravitating back toward my down-scale joints. As you said, things are ho-hum and underwhelming, and prices are higher than ever.
    Aruba's Novelist in Residence (sometimes)
    http://www.bentpage.wordpress.com/

Our favorite place on the island, is the great beach at the Boca Grandi. The water is the best, and its very quiet.

We agree with you Dan. We find places like the B55, Zeerover, Hollywood Barbecue, and other less know places are more appealing.

Quote Originally Posted by Cple View Post

We agree with you Dan. We find places like the B55, Zeerover, Hollywood Barbecue, and other less know places are more appealing.

We like the smaller, local places as well. I just wish they would offer more food that is at least somewhat healthy. Even a nice salad with grilled chicken or fish would do the trick for me. I don't like most fried, BBQ'd type of food. It's just not my thing. Because of this, we don't go to them very often.
    ~Amy~ - 35th trip to Aruba: New Years Eve 2017/2018 -- Zihuatanejo, MX: March 2018 -- Ireland: June/July 2018 --
    36th trip to Aruba: Sept. 2018

Amy,

You are correct. There are not many healthy options for local eating. Salads are tiny and weak. Vegetables are always overcooked. Anyway...

Aruba's Novelist in Residence (sometimes)
    http://www.bentpage.wordpress.com/

Good point raised - we had friends visiting for a week and they are huge salad fans . . . I never noticed before just how few places offer nice meal sized salad options.

I did have a wonderful salad (with a bowl of yummy mustard soup) and De Suikertiun - highly recommended (I will write a separate review on that visit). Michael

Our favorite place on the island, is the great beach at the Boca Grandi. The water is the best, and its very quiet.

Amy, we agree with you. Good salads are hard to find on the island. Actually, the only time we eat fried foods is on the island. We did have a great salad at Amazing in San Nicholas.

Bingo also offers several salad options. You can choose a smaller "side" option or the larger salad.

Quote Originally Posted by EHampite View Post
    Bingo also offers several salad options. You can choose a smaller "side" option or the larger salad.
    I go to Bingo all the time for their salads - they're great!
    ~Amy~ - 35th trip to Aruba: New Years Eve 2017/2018 -- Zihuatanejo, MX: March 2018 -- Ireland: June/July 2018 --
    36th trip to Aruba: Sept. 2018