Aruba Beach
Aruba Nights Island Guide
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree27Likes

Thread: Is it Grouper or something else?

I am so disappointed! I love Grouper in Aruba and look forward to it. Now I am scared to order it.

"less than 1 percent of imported seafood is inspected in the United States for mislabeling"

Which is why you should buy from your local fish market if you are lucky enough to have one close by. It helps support local fishermen and small business. And like Chuck says, read the labels very carefully.

The less crowded beaches & the Dutch bars
    Mislabeling fish is a worldwide problem. Pretty much every Sushi place in NYC is substituting some of their fish. Dover Sole on the menu..sure. I agree with some of the earlier posts...if you can, buy your fish from a reliable fish store or fish department at a supermarket. In a restaurant, it can be a crap shoot. If you want Grouper, go to Florida. If you like Wahoo or Mahi, Aruba is fine.

I was looking forward to having the almond crusted grouper at MJ's next week...........

Aruba since 1979
    shoot MJs an email and ask!!
    maybe, just maybe they are serving real grouper (fresh or frozen) .
    Quote Originally Posted by Tim nel View Post
    I was looking forward to having the almond crusted grouper at MJ's next week...........

I wonder if the Bugaloe is real grouper? I have it every year there and I love it. Do you think if I asked them they would tell me the truth? LOL

I have not ordered grouper in Aruba for quite a few years because it started tasting "different" than what I was used to (and what I had always had in other countries.) I initially thought that just my own personal tastes had changed and maybe I just didn't prefer it any longer until a few years ago I read about all the fish "substitutions" in the U.S. Now I know that the reason I don't like grouper in Aruba is because it's not grouper. I still remember saying to my husband once years ago after barely eating a grouper sandwich I had ordered for lunch downtown in Aruba to "remind me to never order grouper again". LOL! In Aruba, I stick with Wahoo, Barracuda, Mahi Mahi, and red snapper. Wahoo is still my absolute favorite - a good thick white fish.

I think that if you're ordering "grouper" somewhere in Aruba and like it then just keep getting it. It just means you probably like tilapia. (I dislike tilapia so I will steer clear.)
    Last edited by ~Amy~; 12-04-2017 at 08:33 AM.
    ~Amy~ - 35th trip to Aruba: New Years Eve 2017/2018 -- South Beach, FL: Feb. 2018 -- Zihuatanejo, MX: March 2018 -- Sedona, AZ: April/May 2018 -- Ireland: June/July 2018 -- 36th trip to Aruba: Sept. 2018

Amy, is Wahoo like haddock? I had it a while back at Pelican Pier and it was very good...no bones right?

Pangasius is not grouper, but it is safe to eat!

According to seafoodhealthfacts.org "Pangasius is the scientific family name for certain types of freshwater catfish primarily found in Vietnam, Cambodia and neighboring nations."
    The Environmental Policy Group (
    Wageningen University & Research Centre, Wageningen, Netherlands) addressed.... "What is the risk of consuming pangasius? A lot of claims made in Europe and the US state it is very unsafe. But research at Wageningen University and Research demonstrates that these claims are inaccurate. Instead of reporting the risk to human health they refer to general hazards associated with certain chemical compounds. For these chemicals to become a risk to human health we need to understand our exposure to them. And in the case of Pangasius the claims made do not reflect any risk to human health. Pangasius, we conclude, is safe for human consumption."
    Last edited by arubachuck; 12-04-2017 at 09:47 PM.

Aruba since 1979
    wahoo is mild, flaky (but dense does that make sense?) but its taste is unlike haddock.
    mahi is dense (denser than wahoo ..similar denseness to swordfish) and is mild but not as mild as grouper or wahoo.
    i have not come across bones in wahoo, but never say never.

barracuda is well worth a try!! it is delicious and mild.

i think most of them are mild with the exception of salmon and sometimes snapper...lots of bones is snapper.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast