Aruba Beach
Aruba Nights Island Guide
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 41
Like Tree34Likes

Thread: Is it Grouper or something else?

  1. #21
    Senior Member ~Amy~®'s Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    2,745
    Quote Originally Posted by smoki View Post
    Amy, is Wahoo like haddock? I had it a while back at Pelican Pier and it was very good...no bones right?
    No bones. I would say wahoo is most similar to halibut - white fish, meaty, and mild. I usually only have it prepared grilled with lemon.
    ~Amy~® - 35th trip to Aruba: New Years Eve 2017/2018 -- South Beach, FL: Feb. 2018 -- Zihuatanejo, MX: March 2018 -- Sedona, AZ: April/May 2018 -- Ireland: June/July 2018 -- 36th trip to Aruba: Sept. 2018




  2. #22
    Senior Member cpjones's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Eagle Beach, Glitz Casino, Manchebo Beach Resort
    Posts
    4,433
    Here's another article that makes me glad I'm a beef eater......! http://cleannaturalmedicine.com/heal...ating-tilapia/

  3. #23
    Aruba since 1979
    Moderator
    Andrea J.'s Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    31,734
    great article CP!

    paul and i recently became hooked on salmon.
    baked with honey mustard dressing ....delicious!!
    i only eat non farmed salmon.

    i was speaking with one of the fish aquaculture employees at EPCOT a few weeks ago.
    i asked if he ate any of their farmed fish.
    he said YES, but NOT the tilapia.
    he said that tilapia is garbage.



    Quote Originally Posted by cpjones View Post
    Here's another article that makes me glad I'm a beef eater......! http://cleannaturalmedicine.com/heal...ating-tilapia/

  4. #24
    Senior Member Aruba4ever's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    3,481
    You and me both!

    Quote Originally Posted by cpjones View Post
    Here's another article that makes me glad I'm a beef eater......! http://cleannaturalmedicine.com/heal...ating-tilapia/

  5. #25
    Senior Member ArubaAce's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Arashi Beach, Malmok Beach, Eagle Beach.
    Posts
    1,444
    So much for eating seafood that's healthier than meat. I went to the supermarket once to buy shrimps and I asked if it was from the ocean or farm raised. They answered, of course it's farm raised. I passed..

  6. #26
    Super Moderator Jacki's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    6,793
    Thanks CP - there are many interesting articles on that site!
    Jacki ~ loving Aruba from NJ



  7. #27
    Senior Member ArubaAce's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Arashi Beach, Malmok Beach, Eagle Beach.
    Posts
    1,444
    Funny but last night I was reading a review about Salt N Peppers about a frustrated patron who was complaining about the grouper he was served. He said he got into an argument with the waiter who kept saying it was grouper. The Manager came over and admitted that it was frozen Tilapia from South Africa and then he commented that what you see advertised as Grouper in the whole Island is frozen Tilapia. I dunno...I sure used to love that almond grouper at MJs. Another Patron was complaining about the grouper at Amsterdam Manor Beach Rest.

  8. #28
    Aruba since 1979
    Moderator
    Andrea J.'s Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    31,734
    such a disappointment.

    stick to snapper, wahoo, barracuda

    tilapia is a revolting piece of garbage.
    Quote Originally Posted by ArubaAce View Post
    Funny but last night I was reading a review about Salt N Peppers about a frustrated patron who was complaining about the grouper he was served. He said he got into an argument with the waiter who kept saying it was grouper. The Manager came over and admitted that it was frozen Tilapia from South Africa and then he commented that what you see advertised as Grouper in the whole Island is frozen Tilapia. I dunno...I sure used to love that almond grouper at MJs. Another Patron was complaining about the grouper at Amsterdam Manor Beach Rest.

  9. #29
    Senior Member hatteras's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Boca Catalina, Arashi Beach Manchebo Beach, Eagle Beach
    Posts
    1,198
    Ok, so I waited to read this until I had all of my fake grouper dinners while I'm here in Aruba. I'm glad that I waited because now I'm a little grossed out .

  10. #30
    Aruba since 1979
    Moderator
    Andrea J.'s Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    31,734
    if folks want to eat tilapia that is fine. but for goodness sake, list it as tilapia or swai or basa or whatever it really is and charge appropriately.

    what i find upsetting is that tilapia is being sold at "grouper prices" and is being listed as "grouper" on the menus.
    are we tired of the deceptions? i certainly am.

    would we have more respect with the restaurant owners being upfront/honest with we the patrons?
    i certainly would.

    all that i'd request is an addition to the menu or a note on the specials board........"sorry, the fishing laws in aruba prohibit catching grouper. therefore we do not have grouper on the menu but are substituting it with tilapia instead - at 50% price reduction" how does that sound?



    Quote Originally Posted by hatteras View Post
    Ok, so I waited to read this until I had all of my fake grouper dinners while I'm here in Aruba. I'm glad that I waited because now I'm a little grossed out .

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO