Aruba Beach
Aruba Nights Island Guide
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 23
Like Tree13Likes

Thread: grouper vs other whitefish

  1. #1
    Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    53

    grouper vs other whitefish

    We ate at passions the other night, and I strongly suspect the "grouper" I ordered was cod or another whitefish. What I received was thin and flavor less, not at all like the grouper I am accustomed to having' and I have had a lot of grouper. The filet even looked wrong' it was the length of the fish, and only about a quarter inch thick.


    Has anyone else had this problem/suspicion?

  2. #2
    Aruba since 1979
    Moderator
    Andrea J.'s Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    29,912
    you really need to be asking that question to the management at "passions".

    over the past year or so, on local news ...tv and print, here in the tampa bay area there have been stories of how other cheaper mild whitefish have been swapped out and used in place of grouper which is quite expensive per lb.

    i do not know if any of the aruba restaurants have done it, but i do know that it is imperative to discuss your concerns with the food and beverage director at passions. passions prides itself with always a job well done.

    since you are still on island, give mark at passions a call.
    Quote Originally Posted by puffthefish View Post
    We ate at passions the other night, and I strongly suspect the "grouper" I ordered was cod or another whitefish. What I received was thin and flavor less, not at all like the grouper I am accustomed to having' and I have had a lot of grouper. The filet even looked wrong' it was the length of the fish, and only about a quarter inch thick.


    Has anyone else had this problem/suspicion?

  3. #3
    Senior Member Arubalisa's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Any Aruba beach...
    Posts
    13,177
    You were booked to stay there at the Amsterdam Manor no? As Andrea suggested, if you are on the island, ask to speak to the manager.

    Dh eats fish almost exclusively when we are in Aruba. At Passions, our dd always orders their "Local Grouper Filet in a Crispy Coco Jacket- A fresh grouper filet breaded with shredded coconut served with a mayonnaise inspired banana dip" and dh numerous times has ordered their "Get Together- Grilled grouper fillet served in a cream sauce and topped with spicy shrimp". Never a complaint from either one.

    Thinking about it, if your fish was grilled, I doubt it could be cod. Grilled cod would fall apart.
    Last edited by Arubalisa; 09-04-2012 at 05:59 PM.

  4. #4
    Senior Member kent's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    palm beach, mangel halto for snorkling
    Age
    53
    Posts
    990

    Smile

    One thing you have to remember. When I caught grouper in Florida, they have to be about 10 lbs to keep them. Other wise you have to throw them back so the fillets are really thick and big. There are no rules in Aruba so they can keep any size of grouper or fish they want. Years ago I went bottom fishing there and got a 8 inch long grouper and the captain threw it in the cooler. I told him in Florida, they have to be 24 inches long or we have to throw them back. He said: there are no rules in Aruba!!
    Snorkel Mangel Halto, day or night with a waterscooter. Check out our website. E-mail Stuart at arubabob@live.com or call Stuart local: 745-7459 Or visit: www.arubabobsnorkeling.com 50th trip Dec 11, 2017

  5. #5
    Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    53
    I didn't bother bringing it up. I figured if they knew it wasn't grouper they wouldn't admit that they are deceptive. If they didn't know, then they are incompotent. Either way, I am a pragmatist and don't need a headache. As Andrea pointed put, there is obviously fake grouper out there, take my lumps and move on.


    I wasn't even thinking about size limits. We have fished in Florida several times, but never kept the smaller grouper, maybe they haven't developed flavor when small? If that is the case, then that is definitely something to consider. Either way, as an (ex)fisherman and cook, that was pretty disappointing fish.

  6. #6
    Aruba since 1979
    Moderator
    Andrea J.'s Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    29,912
    I pointed out that on our local news here, there was a story on Re: grouper/non grouper being swapped out in the tampa bay area. " here in the tampa bay area there have been stories of how other cheaper mild whitefish have been swapped out and used in place of grouper which is quite expensive per lb."
    so please do not imply that i said there is fake grouper out there, meaning aruba.

    i would have hoped that you would have discussed this with management so that your concerns could be addressed and mad right.

    i always prefer open discussions and equitable/fair resolutions.

    i have directed marc of amsterdam manor to this thread.



    Quote Originally Posted by puffthefish View Post
    As Andrea pointed put, there is obviously fake grouper out there, take my lumps and move on.

  7. #7
    Senior Member Arubalisa's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Any Aruba beach...
    Posts
    13,177
    Quote Originally Posted by puffthefish View Post
    I didn't bother bringing it up. I figured if they knew it wasn't grouper they wouldn't admit that they are deceptive. If they didn't know, then they are incompotent.
    Was overall incompetence your opinion of the entire stay at the Amsterdam Manor?

    The reason why I ask is that again, as Andrea stated originally, you could have asked then and there for an answer to your question.


    From your previous posts you were staying at the resort,
    if you felt, or did not trust your server to give you a competent, or honest answer, couldn't the problem have been easily addressed, even the next day, by a manager?

  8. #8
    Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    53
    Quote Originally Posted by Andrea J. View Post
    I pointed out that on our local news here, there was a story on Re: grouper/non grouper being swapped out in the tampa bay area. " here in the tampa bay area there have been stories of how other cheaper mild whitefish have been swapped out and used in place of grouper which is quite expensive per lb."
    so please do not imply that i said there is fake grouper out there, meaning aruba..
    That is why I posted the thread, because I vaugely remembered there was fake grouper out there and you reminded me of where and when. The fake grouper was traced back to both the restaurants, fishermen, buyers as well as the suppliers. This means that substituting one fish for a lesser fish is widespread enough to occur on several levels of distribution. Since the entire supply chain has been tainted by deception, then I will hold all fish as suspect.

    Olive oil, wine and truffles are also something that are substituted quite often at all levels in the supply chain.

  9. #9
    Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    53
    Seriously, how do you see that playing out in your head? It would be easily addressed by the manager, and that is why I did not bring it up, as there is no satisfactory response. My way of thinking is that the second they picked up that fish after it was purchased, and certainly before it was cooked, someone should have put the brakes on. Since they didn't, it seems to me to be a fundamental philosophical difference between them and myself. That is an arguement I am not wanting to have on my aniversary vacation.

    I posted with the question to see if others have had the same experience or to give me another angle on it as Kent has. I did not come on here to bash Passions, and the fact that I did not post my experience on Tripadvisor should hopefully prove that it not just sour grapes or a public lynching.



    Quote Originally Posted by Arubalisa View Post
    Was overall incompetence your opinion of the entire stay at the Amsterdam Manor?

    The reason why I ask is that again, as Andrea stated originally, you could have asked then and there for an answer to your question.

    From your previous posts you were staying at the resort, if you felt, or did not trust your server to give you a competent, or honest answer, couldn't the problem have been easily addressed, even the next day, by a manager?

  10. #10
    Aruba since 1979
    Moderator
    Andrea J.'s Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    29,912
    yes but what happens in tampa bay, or atlanta, or miami or chicago does not necessarily happen in aruba or vice versa.


    what i see right now is~
    the original poster made a negative and detrimental comment about an aruban business.
    the original poster was on island and available to speak with the manager.
    the original poster is unwilling to speak with the manager or employees to try to get to the bottom of the issue.

    i am disappointed that the opportunity was there to make this right and the original poster was unwilling.

    "what" if it was a piece of snapper that was delivered to the poster in error?
    "what" if someone else on the beach that evening got the grouper and wondered where the snapper was?
    "what" if there is a logical and reasonable explanation?
    we'll never know now, will we :-(

    Quote Originally Posted by puffthefish View Post
    That is why I posted the thread, because I vaugely remembered there was fake grouper out there and you reminded me of where and when. The fake grouper was traced back to both the restaurants, fishermen, buyers as well as the suppliers. This means that substituting one fish for a lesser fish is widespread enough to occur on several levels of distribution. Since the entire supply chain has been tainted by deception, then I will hold all fish as suspect.

    Olive oil, wine and truffles are also something that are substituted quite often at all levels in the supply chain.
    Last edited by Andrea J.; 09-07-2012 at 12:22 AM.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO