Aruba Beach
Aruba Nights Island Guide
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Ate there for the first time last week...LOVED it! Historic location, local family-owned, and best bbq we've had on the island, and we are from North Carolina, so we know good bbq!!!! Take the drive, its worth it...

Aruba since 1979
    are you still in aruba?

Quote Originally Posted by islandchica View Post
    Ate there for the first time last week...LOVED it! Historic location, local family-owned, and best bbq we've had on the island, and we are from North Carolina, so we know good bbq!!!! Take the drive, its worth it...

If we were to go to Baby Beach in the morning... then leave to go here for lunch... and then back to Baby Beach. How long of a drive is it to the restaurant from the beach 1 way.

Also... what kind of dress code is it? Obviously coming from the beach and the hotel on the upwards part of the island we are limited.

Aruba since 1979
    http://bentpage.wordpress.com/2011/0...e-diner-aruba/
    if you read dan's review (san nic) you will see he has a photo of the place (front door) and the styrofoam plates.............therefore my deduction is that providing you are not naked, not only in bathing suits, have a pulse you will be served ;-)

i hear great reviews!

it is one of those places shirts and shoes required.

dan also says it is about 2 blocks from the refinery, that makes it about less than a 10 minute car ride from baby beach (more like 5 min i think)

Incredibly delicious food and awesome desserts. We loved it so much! The owner rocks!

Quote Originally Posted by Andrea J. View Post
    . . . less than a 10 minute car ride from baby beach (more like 5 min i think) . . .
    That's about exactly correct.

CLICK A THUMBNAIL IMAGE TO SEE A LARGER VERSION

We had a tasty lunch there (wife and I had brisket and nephew had chicken with various sides and we ate in the attached bar)on 6/16 and chatted a good while with Michael the owner. The story of the place is interesting (it is on the card I scanned and thumbnailed above) and if you are there, Michael (he and his daughter work the front diner and bar while his wife Tina works the kitchen) seems more than happy to take the time to talk to you in detail about the place (and anything else for that matter ). We had a blast talking to him.

A scan of the basic menu is thumbnailed above as well.

As Andrea alluded to, not being naked is probably the only dress requirement. It is a small, very basic counter service diner attached to what I would consider to be a "dive" bar (not a bad thing, just don't expect TGI Fridays ).

The place isn't exactly on the main route through San Nicolas but I'm sure word of mouth and a little time is all that is going to be needed to have the place hopping with people heading to Baby Beach and all points east on the island.

Final note, I believe they have free WiFi but I forgot to confirm that.

Aruba since 1979
    OMGosh look at those prices AND i have my eye on the pulled pork and the chicken sandwich.

Their sides are full sized so the brisket platter I had was brisket, black beans, rice, and coleslaw for approximately $12. I'd say fair price in Aruba

Also, everything they serve is smoked and then finished off on the grill (I believe that adds to it's deliciousness). You then have at the table three homemade (by Tina who closely guards the family recipe) BBQ sauce choices (not counting the BBQ ranch dipping sauce for the french fries which my nephew just loved) - mild, spicy, and hot. I'm a fan of Three Mile Island sauce at Hooter's so not withstanding Michael's warning that the hot was really hot (Scotch bonnet pepper based), it was good and had heat it wasn't over the top and you were still able to enjoy the food.

Thumbs up Delivering Low & Slow at The Hollywood Smokehouse

Arriving in San Nicolas after 4 hours on ATV's on the north coast, my eldest son and I worked up quite the appetite. We just had to go to The Hollywood Smokehouse based on the reviews I've read.

We were greeted by Michael the owner and soon introduced to his lovely wife, Tina. After a refreshing drink of Balashi Chill, we settled in for the main event. My son had the pulled pork platter with baked beans, coleslaw, and fries. I had the beef brisket platter with the same sides. The food delivers on everything you read . . . soft, tasty, with that subtle yet tasty smokehouse flavour.

I am far from being a BBQ aficionado (if there is such a thing) and frankly I don't know southern from northern BBQ . . . I just know when I eat TASTY BBQ and this one is a hit. The Hollywood Smokehouse is a must-go place for those interested in a casual, authentic, friendly atmosphere with good ole' BBQ served up with delicious sides.

To top off our visit . . . you just never know who you'll run into . . . we introduced ourselves to none other than fellow forum member SanNic44 who we understand is somewhat of a fixture at the Hollywood . . .

Hats off to Michael and Tina for serving up fantastic food with happy island hospitality.

Michael

P.S. Here's a trivia question for fellow forum members . . . name a favourite food location on Aruba that locals (and wannabe locals) go to and Michael from Hollywood Smokehouse is related to the owner of that location . . .
    Last edited by mmattalo; 08-26-2011 at 03:34 PM.

Love to hear the good reviews here, going to try it out on the 31st!!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast