Aruba Beach
Aruba Nights Island Guide
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: Hooters and Behihana Closing

Personally, the fewer American Chains in Aruba the better. It baffles me to no end why you'd eat at the same places you can find down the street at home and spend the same (if not more) money, when the island is filled with great Chef's. One of the beauties of Aruba is great Chef's move there and never leave.

Keep the Domino's, McDonald's, etc for the kids but run the rest off!! Keep Aruba, Aruba. Not some God forsaken US tourist trap.

I'm not judgin' ; I'm just sayin'
    Aruba where the toughest question each day is "where to dine tonight".

Since 1980, and throughout the many changes, we still love going downtown in Oranjestad.
    Quote Originally Posted by jdoll View Post
    Personally, the fewer American Chains in Aruba the better. It baffles me to no end why you'd eat at the same places you can find down the street at home and spend the same (if not more) money, when the island is filled with great Chef's. One of the beauties of Aruba is great Chef's move there and never leave.

Keep the Domino's, McDonald's, etc for the kids but run the rest off!! Keep Aruba, Aruba. Not some God forsaken US tourist trap.

I'm not judgin' ; I'm just sayin'

You have a point there jdoll, but as Lisa and others have said, others besides Americans go to US-based chains in Aruba. Arubans,Canadians, Dutch, Brazilians and Venezuelans (and others) enjoy going to these places.

I think it's just a case of personal tastes, and in some cases, American chains offer something different. A case in point, Texas de Brasil is based in the US. We go there because we enjoy the whole Brazilian charruscaria concept. We don't have it in Canada, at least not here in Winnipeg. Ruth's Chris on the other hand, we wouldn't go there when there are a number of great Argentinian steakhouses on the island. Did someone say El Gaucho?

From a pure business point of view, if Aruban or Dutch entreprenurs want to become a franchisees for Amercan chains, (And have the means to do it) who are we as Canadians or Americans to say he/she should not.

It comes back to what I've said before. We cannot ask Aruba and its people to remain in a time warp because we somehow miss that old Dutch colonial charm.

Just a few thoughts.

Glenn

Would businesses OUTSIDE of Palm beach, Eagle beach and Oranjestad, such as Domino's, Pizza Hut, Wendy's, KFC etc. be able to stay in business without the patronage of Arubans? Do tourists go to Savaneta, Santa Cruz and San Nicolas for fast food?

Maybe I am missing something?

Boca Prins, Mangel Halto & just about any spot with my little family.
    I have noticed that there are alot of "Subway" restuarants on the island but there are 3 just here in my town (and also one on the Navy base where I work) making that 4. So I say, people must be spending money in these places keeping them in business. Yes, it seems silly to go to a BK or McDonalds on vacation but sometimes, it's just easy to stick to something famililar when on the go.

In response to Arubalisa's question, I imagine that tourists may go to the chains in the other towns on the island if they are out snorkeling or sightseeing maybe?
    [url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/]

As of this morning, signage for Hooters and Benihana are gone.

Quote Originally Posted by ctfirewife-mjn109 View Post
    In response to Arubalisa's question, I imagine that tourists may go to the chains in the other towns on the island if they are out snorkeling or sightseeing maybe?
    Ah, but then the next question is, enough tourists to keep all these "American" places in business?

Where will those poor Hooters girls find work?

Well hopefully they will reopen..in another spot... I for one have only gone to that hooters once for wings and never to benihana's .. Don't really know why just too many other good restaurants... can't wait to go...

url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/]

[/url]

love the wings at hooters!!!

Quote Originally Posted by ctfirewife-mjn109 View Post
    I have noticed that there are alot of "Subway" restuarants on the island but there are 3 just here in my town (and also one on the Navy base where I work) making that 4. So I say, people must be spending money in these places keeping them in business. Yes, it seems silly to go to a BK or McDonalds on vacation but sometimes, it's just easy to stick to something famililar when on the go.

You see so many subway locations because they have been one of the cheapest franchises to open for a number of years.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast