Aruba Beach
Aruba Nights Island Guide
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Iguana……….delicacy ?

Iguana……….delicacy ?

During my first trip and stay at CPV I noticed that there were a lot of Iguanas around the place, one my second visit I noticed that there were not as many. Which got me to thinking, in Trinidad and Tobago Iguana is considered a valuable delicacy. Is it the same on Aruba??

Aruba since 1979
    yes val
    iguanas are "good eatin'!"

that being said, it is my understanding it is unlawful in Aruba to kill them.

val…i am going to create your post into its own thread.
    Quote Originally Posted by vallond View Post
    During my first trip and stay at CPV I noticed that there were a lot of Iguanas around the place, one my second visit I noticed that there were not as many. Which got me to thinking, in Trinidad and Tobago Iguana is considered a valuable delicacy. Is it the same on Aruba??

Costa Linda, Renaissance Ocean Suites, any place where there is a beach and tiki hut I am good 8)
    The reason there are less iguanas now than there were before is because they decided to move them all to a less populated area of the island.

At some point, and I am unsure of when, one of the iguanas was bothering a hotel guest somewhere. She was sitting at a table eating something and had red toenail paint on. Well needless to say the iguana thought it was food and bit her toe. Apparently after that they decided to just move them all over to the other side of the island where they wouldn't be as much as a nuisance to guests. This is all from what my husband told me; his family has had a time share at the Costa Linda for 20 years. He said sometime within the last 15 years or so it happened, but not sure of the year. And there are still iguanas that will bother you for food hanging around, but I think the point of moving them was because there were SO many of them. I want to say they moved them over to the landfill where they feed them the food left over from the hotels...

Hope this helps

Eagle Beach, Baby Beach, Arashi Beach Tierra Del Sol golf course
    One more of Arubas charms being taken away. We enjoy seeing the iguanas, the goats, the parrots and the burrowing owls. The reason for going to Aruba is not just for the people, the beaches, food and the weather, its also getting to see things you cant see in Florida or Southern California like the iguanas, parrots, owls and goats. If the time comes when there is no difference, what would be the point of going to Aruba? You could save money by going to Florida or just find a new island that still has the old charm. Bring the iguanas back.

Aruba since 1979
    i've been told by LaCabana groundskeepers and staff at Renaissance Ocean Suites, that when the iguanas become too large and or bothersome they are moved out to the conucu and or the arikok area. Numerous iguanas go after painted toenails thinking those toes are fruit. I do not believe that they are relocated to the dump/landfill. I do believe that as they expand paradise with concrete jungles, those iguanas and other creatures will become less and less visible Progress/construction/expansion is good for some, and not so good for others.

(off topic a bit) I am wondering about the impact of all of the new construction at the new RIU……..will there be an impact on the butterfly farm? Lots of burrowing owls on that lot inbetween the Westin and the Phoenix.
    Quote Originally Posted by devilsangel7681 View Post
    The reason there are less iguanas now than there were before is because they decided to move them all to a less populated area of the island.

At some point, and I am unsure of when, one of the iguanas was bothering a hotel guest somewhere. She was sitting at a table eating something and had red toenail paint on. Well needless to say the iguana thought it was food and bit her toe. Apparently after that they decided to just move them all over to the other side of the island where they wouldn't be as much as a nuisance to guests. This is all from what my husband told me; his family has had a time share at the Costa Linda for 20 years. He said sometime within the last 15 years or so it happened, but not sure of the year. And there are still iguanas that will bother you for food hanging around, but I think the point of moving them was because there were SO many of them. I want to say they moved them over to the landfill where they feed them the food left over from the hotels...

Hope this helps

Still plenty of Iguanas on Renaissance Private Island!
    Please contact via e-mail at arubarennowner@gmail.com

Plenty of iguanas at the Divi this past May. I have more pictures than you can imagine. My husband says "Stop, no more iguana pictures"!

I haven't visited aruba in years but we are going to the Marriott Stellaris in April. All I have been telling my son about is the Iguana's. He will be SO disappointed

Aruba since 1979
    Your son will not be disappointed. There are still many iguanas!!
    Quote Originally Posted by ReneeDiorio View Post
    I haven't visited aruba in years but we are going to the Marriott Stellaris in April. All I have been telling my son about is the Iguana's. He will be SO disappointed

He won't be disappointed. There are still Iguana around, just not everywhere you look like it used to be.
    Jacki ~ loving Aruba from NJ

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast