Aruba Beach
Aruba Nights Island Guide
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree9Likes

Thread: Inattentive Staff

Inattentive Staff

I'd like to post a sort of "open letter" to restaurant, bar, and similar establishment owners regarding inattentive staff. Specifically the use of cellphones and computers. You see, maybe I'm crazy or ignorant or both, but when I walk into a place that appears to be a bar or a restaurant or the like and the person standing by the podium is busy with a cellphone, my initial reaction is that they're taking reservations or something. Okay. I get that. But when I hear bits of conversation about the afternoon on the jet ski and the hangover this morning and the la-de-da-da, well, I get a little suspicious. Along the same lines, when I'm at the bar and the bartender can't be bothered to look up from his Facebook or something ever so important that making my drink for cash money is really an afterthought, then you'll forgive me for walking out.

Yeah, I know this happens everywhere these days, but I'm in Aruba now, so the letter is to those of you in management in Aruba. Wrangle the situation or lose my business and find the reviews here and elsewhere about this issue. I'm a customer, which means I'm paying. I understand the relationship and don't mind paying and even TIPPING when someone treats me well in the interest of good cheer and positive reinforcement. On the other hand, your part of the relationship that earns the money is showing how much you care. Fair enough? I hope so. A word to the wise should be sufficient.

Bon dia.

Of course, my apologies to those places performing exceptionally all these years. You know you're the best, which is why you're still there and doing well.
    Aruba's Novelist in Residence (sometimes)
    http://www.bentpage.wordpress.com/

Bravo!!!! It annoys me here in the States also. I don't understand why business owners let their employees get away with this....but I've found sometimes, it is the owners as well.

Aruba since 1979
    Well said Dan.
    Thank you for putting your great thoughts into the written word.

........... inattentive, negligent and arrogant employees are everywhere, USA, AUA, everywhere. Kudos to the ones that care and do their job well. Thank goodness the good ones still outnumber the inattentive ones.

Interesting, there was one establishment in particular in June where we felt we were treated rudely and I called them out on it my review.

On the other hand one of the things which impressed us so much about our fourth stay at the Radisson, was the improvement in all aspects of their customer service.

It all comes down to the standards to which owners and managers hold their staff to account for.

renaissance private island, iguana joe's, madame janettes..
    unfortunately for us the customer you find alot of kids today doing these jobs who would rather be out with their friends than waiting on us the customer..when this happens my wife and i usually reflect it in the tip to the server and also tell the manager or owner of the lack of suitable service..we went out to this great italian place tonigt and the service started out poorly but the server picked it up and by the end of the meal everything was fine which was good because they have great food..sometimes these restaurants treat their employees poorly which is reflected in how the customer is treated..as my wife always says unless you make your feelings heard about how poorly the service was it will never change..you have to let the manager or owner know so hopefully they will fix the problem..i lovingly call her my pit bull when it comes to these situations..she goes straight for the jugular where as i would be a little softer but you have to since we are paying our hard earned money for not only great food but great service..
    scott and tricia

Since 1980, and throughout the many changes, we still love going downtown in Oranjestad.
    Good morning,

This type of thread is not only welcome but necessary from time to time.

Dan, Andrea, Hockeymom, sagma17; great comments from all of you. Like Aruba, and the US, we have our share of undertrained, minimum wage earning, disinterested serving staff here in Canada as well. Like Aruba and the US, we also have many hard working, attentive servers who take pride in their work, and their tips reflect that.

Owners/managers attitudes and practices often get reflected in the service their employees provide. If the owner cares about his establishment and his employees, it usually shows itself through attentive service and good quality food. If on the other hand, the owner has created a poisoned work environment, well, you can fill in the blanks.

One thing I've seen, and this grates on me just as much as poor service and that is ignorant, belligerant, abusive customers. I'm sure we've all seem them in Canada, the States, Aruba and elsewhere. Customers, in my humble opinion, are entitled to receive good quality food and service, and to be treated with respect. Paying for a meal however does not entitle one to become an abusive jerk.

As someone said, Dan's concerns are not just an Aruba thing. But since we spend so much time eating out when we're there, it was a great idea that the "open letter" be wriiten.

Glenn

Aruba since 1979
    YES.....well said!!! One thing I've seen, and this grates on me just as much as poor service and that is ignorant, belligerant, abusive customers. I'm sure we've all seem them in Canada, the States, Aruba and elsewhere. Customers, in my humble opinion, are entitled to receive good quality food and service, and to be treated with respect. Paying for a meal however does not entitle one to become an abusive jerk.

your words abusive jerk are a good choice of words imo.
    we see it often.

often we see folks really being difficult and we are just amazed, actually horrified.

Quote Originally Posted by Glenn View Post
    Good morning,

This type of thread is not only welcome but necessary from time to time.

Dan, Andrea, Hockeymom, sagma17; great comments from all of you. Like Aruba, and the US, we have our share of undertrained, minimum wage earning, disinterested serving staff here in Canada as well. Like Aruba and the US, we also have many hard working, attentive servers who take pride in their work, and their tips reflect that.

Owners/managers attitudes and practices often get reflected in the service their employees provide. If the owner cares about his establishment and his employees, it usually shows itself through attentive service and good quality food. If on the other hand, the owner has created a poisoned work environment, well, you can fill in the blanks.

One thing I've seen, and this grates on me just as much as poor service and that is ignorant, belligerant, abusive customers. I'm sure we've all seem them in Canada, the States, Aruba and elsewhere. Customers, in my humble opinion, are entitled to receive good quality food and service, and to be treated with respect. Paying for a meal however does not entitle one to become an abusive jerk.

As someone said, Dan's concerns are not just an Aruba thing. But since we spend so much time eating out when we're there, it was a great idea that the "open letter" be wriiten.

Glenn

Glenn and Andrea thanks also for sticking up for the wait staff about nasty customers as I have been a waitress for 39 years. Glenn did try to send you a message I obviously have no idea what I'm doing wrong thought it was easy.

Aruba since 1979
    he candy
    click on glenn's name above his avator
    a drop down menu will show up

click send a private message

write the private message (make sure you vie it a name in the subject box)

then make sure to hit send :-)

Quote Originally Posted by CandyC55 View Post
    Glenn and Andrea thanks also for sticking up for the wait staff about nasty customers as I have been a waitress for 39 years. Glenn did try to send you a message I obviously have no idea what I'm doing wrong thought it was easy.

Being a good customer is part of the bargain. I'm always amazed at how people decide what they want to order and will tell the other people at the table, then the waiter comes to take the order and they have amnesia. What's with that? Small thing. No worries. Perhaps the most important aspect of being a good customer is to communicate clearly your desires and expectations. And when you don't understand or something is not clear, ASK for the details until you get it straight.

There are nasty customers itching for a fight. I'm not one of them. I'm out to enjoy myself. If I want an argument, I'll go to court. And the focus of my thread is really about management running a tight ship.

Bon dia.

Aruba's Novelist in Residence (sometimes)
    http://www.bentpage.wordpress.com/

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast