Aruba Beach
Aruba Nights Island Guide
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree7Likes

Thread: La Terrazza Italiana

If seafood smells like ammonia, it's spoiled. That a restaurant would try to feed that to a customer tells me to never return.

Aruba since 1979
    i find it very very poor practice when folks are dining at a restaurant, have an issue with the food/service etc and DO NOT mention it to management so the situation can be corrected.

don't you just hate it when folks take great pleasure in bad reviews.
    makes me certain of their agenda.

Quote Originally Posted by ArubaAce View Post
    I've been reading some great reviews on this restaurant via trip advisor and as some of you know, I had a great experience as well. Today I read a horrible review on trip advisor and I was in shock. It was actually a very insulting review. Someone ordered steaks and said it tasted like it was marinated in ammonia. I'm like huh? If that were true why didn't they speak up?

They do go around several times asking if everything is ok so I don't know why people don't speak up. Like the conversation I had with the host at Bavaria. He said he goes around a few times asking if the meal is ok and people nod yes and every once in a while to his surprise one of those people post a bad review on trip advisor when he could have made things right if they spoke up.

While they do have steaks at La Terrazza, it is an italian restaurant. Meaning, If I was in the mood for steaks, I would go to Matthews, or MJ, Chalett Suisse etc. Not making any excuses but just saying they specialize in Italian food. Although when I was there, they were cooking some steaks that smelled good to me.

Quote Originally Posted by arubabob View Post
    Steak is not the only thing that can taste like ammonia. We got lobster at El Gaucho that did and we sent it back and got another one just like it. We do not do sea food there anymore. My SIL worked as a butcher for years and he said that some places try to extend the shelf life of certain meats with chemicals and that in many cases the taste comes through. Probably a good idea to order only the type of food the restaurant is known for. You don't order Chinese at a Mexican restaurant.
    Very interesting and I learned something new. So if a meat or seafood taste like ammonia then chances are chemicals where used to extend it.

Aruba since 1979
    i think fish that is on the verge of spoining or has spoiled has an ammonia-like smell.
    i do not think in regard to fish, the ammonia smell/taste has anything to do with chemicals.
    my husband and his buddy do some fishing here in the gulf.
    we had some mahi that he caught, that we intended to eat BUT we went out to dinner that night instead. the following night i cannot remember what we ate, but it was not the fresh fish that was now getting pushed back in the fridge. by day 4, OMG what was that stench in the refrigerator?!?!?!?! AMMONIA STINK

Quote Originally Posted by ArubaAce View Post
    Very interesting and I learned something new. So if a meat or seafood taste like ammonia then chances are chemicals where used to extend it.

Quote Originally Posted by Andrea J. View Post
    i find it very very poor practice when folks are dining at a restaurant, have an issue with the food/service etc and DO NOT mention it to management so the situation can be corrected.

don't you just hate it when folks take great pleasure in bad reviews.
    makes me certain of their agenda.
    marcofedrigo, I guess he is one of the owners, responded today to that trip advisor review and boy did he let him have it. He explained that he remembers them that they came 20 minutes early and usually they make you wait at the bar until your reservation because its a small place and everything is cooked to order. However, he had 2 small children so as a courtesy they sat him early. This man marco said that he did ask him several times if everything was ok and he nodded yes so he was in shock to see such a bad review on trip advisor. I like it when he said, sorry I wasted a table for 4 on 2 people who didn't appreciate it. Ha ha ha..Sock it to him!

mjh
    Funny that the ammonia taste was mentioned (I forgot totally about reading that post). We ate there last week and so loved the location and Mima herself is such a great woman. Loved her. Anyway, everyone's food was absolutely amazing except for my filet mignon in spicy green pepper sauce (with a side of pasta alfredo). It was so terrible. And no I did not mention it to Mima because I so didn't want to hurt her feelings. Crazy I know. Anyway, I would return to that restaurant every time we go to Aruba (at least 3x per year) but I wouldn't order the steak. LOL Truly it was inedible. If they asked me why I didn't eat it I would have said something but... Every other person we were with (5 people) loved their selections and I loved my pasta alfredo. It was the best alfredo I have ever had and that says a lot since I make it and everyone loves my recipe.

Arashi Beach, Hyatt, Radisson, Shopping, Flea Market, Downtown, Palm Beach, Everything
    I always get the fettucine alfredo with chicken. It is so so so good.

I guess that green pepper sauce on the steak is not too tasty. I know on the comments from owner to the person who said steak tasted like Amonia, the owner said that he probably did not like the green pepper sauce whatever they make it out of. I guess I will stay away from the steak but If I went there I would go for the Italian dishes because that is what they specialized in. If I saw steak fradiablo then I would be tempted to order a steak.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12