Aruba Beach
Aruba Nights Island Guide
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree22Likes

Thread: Life is Short, Eat Dessert First

On our last nite, we ate at Que Pasa, then taxied over to Quinta del Carmen for dessert......

I LOVE LOVE DESSERT. I was brought up being served something sweet after each meal. Not always a big dessert, but we'd have even just a small piece of hard candy or a couple of Hershey kisses. My grandmother said it was a way of signaling our bodies that the meal is done. That became a bad habit, thanks gram. She's 98 now, so maybe she knows something

Often, we'll get dessert to go and enjoy it on the balcony after walking off our dinner.

My first experience with Tiramisu, or so I thought, was at the restaurant at the Hyatt. I ordered Tiramisu, and it was delicious. It was the moistest chocolate cake, sliced in thin horizontal layers with a white chocolate whipped cream between layers and a chocolate and vanilla drizzle on top. After ordering Tiramisu at home and getting the coffee soaked ladyfingers, with alternating layers of custard/marscapone and dusted with cocoa powder, I realize I either didn't get Tiramisu that first time or that was their version of Tiramisu. Either way, they didn't have it the next trip, and I've been looking for something like it each visit.

Caffeine doesn't have an effect on me, so often times I order coffee with Bailey's as dessert.

Once or twice a trip our dessert consists of walking to the "mall" across from Hol Inn and getting Haagen Dazs. I'm definitely going to try the ice cream with Creame de Menthe!!!!!!!

Headed to the kitchen now.....

Hoping for a 30th anniversary trip to our favorite place.

Oh, and wait, can't forget the best apple strudel at the German restaurant that was once in the market next to Renaissance. It's gone too

We'll have to hit Bavaria this next trip.

Hoping for a 30th anniversary trip to our favorite place.

Aruba since 1979
    omgosh i forgot about the Bavaria restaurant.

the Bavaria was the only restaurant that ever reluctantly seated us for dessert only.

we arrived one evening at 8:30 or 9 pm, restuarant was 3/4 empty with a few folks still working on their entrees.

we asked the maitre'd if we could sit and order dessert and coffee.
    he gave us the long slow stink eye and then we were seated.
    eventually my husband went over to this gentleman, apologized for "inconveniencing him and asking if our presence was interfering with other diners or preventing others from sitting and ordering dinner?"
    the maitre'd said "no' and apologized.
    he said he was just kind of surprised that someone would come in only for dessert and no we were not interfering with other diners.

disclosure.....if we go out for dessert only, we always go during the end of the late diners seatings. (closer to 9 pm)

Quote Originally Posted by AUA1989 View Post
    Oh, and wait, can't forget the best apple strudel at the German restaurant that was once in the market next to Renaissance. It's gone too

We'll have to hit Bavaria this next trip.

We had a banana and Carmel concoction at Quinta del Carmen that was really good, but I just checked their menu and it looks like it's no longer offered. I don't think you can go wrong with desserts from there or Barefoot. We had a sampler dessert at barefoot and everything was good. We always ask for our server's recommendation when ordering dessert.

I forgot about this Oink Fest...

Act1966 Bright Bakery November 10 2014
    Last edited by act1966; 08-18-2017 at 04:54 PM.

Tough for me to choose a favorite, but I will say the Carrot Cake from the bakery at Super Food Plaza is excellent. We had a birthday celebration last year and I picked up two slices each of about 4 desserts and the carrot cake was my favorite.
    ​Laura from NH/Divi Village

Bully took us to the Bright Bakery and everything we bought was good. I am not much of a dessert eater but I do like it occasionally. Andrea recommended the cashew cake at Wacky Wahoo and we ordered it and I loved it. I will have to try a few more desserts when we visit next time. I had gelato at Azzuro and it was wonderful. There was a little cafe at Playa Linda that sold small pkgs of gelato and it was very good as well.

I'm I pig when it comes to desserts, so the best one for me is the chocolate soufflé from MJ'S. OH so GOOD.
    Next Aruba trip in

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12