Aruba Beach
Aruba Nights Island Guide
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 36
Like Tree27Likes

Thread: Local Dishes, Dutch influenced, or?

  1. #1
    Senior Member Pegmeister's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    West Deck in the afternoon
    Posts
    3,675

    Local Dishes, Dutch influenced, or?

    When in Aruba, do you frequent restaurants that serve local fare such as keshi yana or maybe Dutch places that serve bitterballen or frikandels? Maybe you prefer a popular American chain?

    My DH, Tom, has never been much of an adventurous eater but I found when we're in Aruba he's a but more open to trying things. My feeling is one of the best things about vacation is experiencing food you don't find at home. He discovered that he really liked frikandels! I recently discovered shoarma which is delicious. So what's your dining style?

  2. #2
    Aruba since 1979
    Moderator
    Andrea J.'s Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    29,917
    Paul is the same as Tom.
    He might be less adventurous though.

    We both used to love Nos Cunucu, but that place is long closed.
    We both loved Old Fisherman, but last couple of times it was not as great as what we had experienced.
    Tulip has good keshi yena and we do love Lindas.

    Our dining style is pretty much internatonal and Seafood.....MJs , Barneys kind of places.
    For Dutch....it is Lindas.

    Sometimes we are behind ACT's car at the mickeyD's drive thru waiting for our special sauce burger not.

    Quote Originally Posted by Pegmeister View Post
    When in Aruba, do you frequent restaurants that serve local fare such as keshi yana or maybe Dutch places that serve bitterballen or frikandels? Maybe you prefer a popular American chain?

    My DH, Tom, has never been much of an adventurous eater but I found when we're in Aruba he's a but more open to trying things. My feeling is one of the best things about vacation is experiencing food you don't find at home. He discovered that he really liked frikandels! I recently discovered shoarma which is delicious. So what's your dining style?

  3. #3
    Senior Member ~Amy~'s Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    2,690
    Wherever we travel to we always have to try the local food since that's part of the travel experience for us. Sometimes we find things we like and sometime not. LOL! I was not fond of salted cod in Portugal (our latest attempt at local food.) But I had to try it because you never know.....

    In Aruba we like Shoarma, Keshi Yena (the seafood version at Gasparito), Oliebollen and Appleflaps (they serve these during the NYE holiday), and Bami with Sate (at Tulip). I try the bitterballens on every trip because they serve them at Amsterdam Manor's manager's cocktail party....nope, still don't like them. LOL! And my husband loves the Uitsmijter sandwich (basically a fried egg and ham sandwich with Dutch cheese.)
    ~Amy~ - 35th trip to Aruba: New Years Eve 2017/2018 -- Zihuatanejo, MX: March 2018 -- Ireland: June/July 2018 -- 36th trip to Aruba: Sept. 2018




  4. #4
    Senior Member act1966's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    In the pool.
    Posts
    2,489
    When we first started coming to Aruba in 2008, there was a wonderful local restaurant in Paradera called "The Aruban Chef" with lots of local dishes that we absolutely loved... it wasn't fancy by any stretch of the imagination but the service was great and the food was amazing - Aruban and Dutch.

    We also love "Gostoso" (as I've mentioned a million times) - it's a hybrid of Portuguese/Madeira/Aruba cooking that just winds up being great. Still highly recommend them!

  5. #5
    Senior Member Pegmeister's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    West Deck in the afternoon
    Posts
    3,675
    Amy, keep trying the bitterballen. Every place we've had them the flavor has been different. The best ones were at Wilhemenia. Their version had melted cheese and diced shrimp!

  6. #6
    Senior Member ~Amy~'s Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    2,690
    Quote Originally Posted by Pegmeister View Post
    Amy, keep trying the bitterballen. Every place we've had them the flavor has been different. The best ones were at Wilhemenia. Their version had melted cheese and diced shrimp!
    I definitely don't like the traditional version (can't believe I still try one on every trip - keep thinking I might change my mind. LOL!) I would definitely be up for a twist on the traditional - the cheese/shrimp version sounds very good!
    ~Amy~ - 35th trip to Aruba: New Years Eve 2017/2018 -- Zihuatanejo, MX: March 2018 -- Ireland: June/July 2018 -- 36th trip to Aruba: Sept. 2018




  7. #7
    Senior Member Traceyd14's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Under a palapa on Palm beach
    Posts
    3,494
    We aren't that adventurous but we are getting better. Moomba has a Dutch snack platter and I have no idea what's in it. I just know they are little finger foods that go great with a cold beverage. We will also try pretty much anythin with gouda, which we never ate at home until we started going to Aruba. Pastechi is probably my favorite Aruban food, if that even counts.
    Not sure when, but we will be back

  8. #8
    Senior Member act1966's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    In the pool.
    Posts
    2,489
    Quote Originally Posted by Traceyd14 View Post
    We aren't that adventurous but we are getting better. Moomba has a Dutch snack platter and I have no idea what's in it. I just know they are little finger foods that go great with a cold beverage. We will also try pretty much anythin with gouda, which we never ate at home until we started going to Aruba. Pastechi is probably my favorite Aruban food, if that even counts.
    LOL... "Sometimes it's better NOT to know..."

  9. #9
    Aruba since 1979
    Moderator
    Andrea J.'s Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    29,917
    i never had a problem with keshi yena, always loved it, especially from tulip @ mvc eagle beach.
    then a friend asked "how can you stand hot raisins?"
    i had not given it much thought til the next time and then i was disinterested in keshi yena, as well as raisin toast and oatmeal with raisins.

    i would have been better off not being told about hot raisins
    Quote Originally Posted by act1966 View Post
    LOL... "Sometimes it's better NOT to know..."

  10. #10
    Senior Member Pegmeister's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    West Deck in the afternoon
    Posts
    3,675
    For anyone planning a trip in May, it's Holland's white asparagus season. Restaurants like Madame Janette has a number of specials featuring the asparagus. Last year I had their asparagus with chicken and asparagus in cream sauce. It was outstanding. Now I'm kinda bumming that we won't be there in May!

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO