Aruba Beach
Aruba Nights Island Guide
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree27Likes

Thread: Local Dishes, Dutch influenced, or?

I think everything tastes better in Aruba! I tend to order grouper or rack of lamb almost every place we go. I love eating grouper made different ways. Love the rack of lamb at Chalet Suisse.

Quote Originally Posted by Pegmeister View Post
    Here at home I found them to be chewy and garlicky. I'm thinking I'll give them a try in Aruba.
    Then they were overcooked if they were chewy. Just like calamari and shrimp - if you cook them too long they're just chewy.
    ~Amy~ - 35th trip to Aruba: New Years Eve 2017/2018 -- Zihuatanejo, MX: March 2018 -- Ireland: June/July 2018 -- 36th trip to Aruba: Sept. 2018

Eagle Beach, Baby Beach, Arashi Beach Tierra Del Sol golf course
    We always eat a few times at places that serve Caribbean , Dutch and/or seafood variations. Seafood is big on our list because we live in a land locked state and never get fresh seafood. We always go to The Paddock for their Pork Sate' which I understand is actually East Indian brought to the West Indies by the Dutch. We love jerked pork and chicken as well and get that at several places. Back in the 90s we went frequently to a restaurant called Boonoonoonoos on Wilhelmina Stratt. It had great Caribbean food. It closed for some reason. Really havnt found a good replacement. Glad to hear some ideas for a replacement though.

When I went to the West Deck I decided I was going to try local dishes so I had the Kesha Yena which I loved, the funchi, grouper fingers etc. Speaking of Escargot, Bingoes has a Shrimp Escargo on their menu that I am curious about. I never order escargot in aruba because I've had it plenty of times on cruise ships at the French Bistro and was always awesome.

I LOVE Amsterdam Manor's bitterballen! I can't wait to taste that little ball of happy.

I tried Kesha Yena at the buffet at Divi AI and loved it- and I usually stay away from cooked raisins( shiver)but it was really good. That's one of the reasons I like to stay a few days at an AI- I try things that I usually wouldn't because if I don't like something I can get something else without wasting money. Makes me braver trying things!

The Divi AI is the first place I ever tried the Kesha Yana and their version is delicious.

Aruba since 1979
    cooked raisins ...love keshi yena, cooked raisins omg, i have issues with them.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jayshea View Post
    I tried Kesha Yena at the buffet at Divi AI and loved it- and I usually stay away from cooked raisins( shiver)but it was really good. That's one of the reasons I like to stay a few days at an AI- I try things that I usually wouldn't because if I don't like something I can get something else without wasting money. Makes me braver trying things!

Me too Andrea- just the thought of them gives me the willies! I need to try the Kesha Yena somewhere else- maybe we will get back to the West Deck and try it there. Does anyone else have any other place that they like it from?

I just pick out the raisins. They remind me too much of dead houseflys!

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast