Aruba Beach
Aruba Nights Island Guide
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Reniassance Island & Surf Club Lazy River
    Here's my take on the MJ visit recently....
    We have written more than enough great reviews for Chef Kasi and his restaurant. We have been his biggest supporters on every report. Every visit has had glowing reports. This was our GO TO restaurant. Visits to this place are over 12+ times. We have brought family, friends and have recommended it to everyone.
    Our bad meal 2 weeks ago should have been handled like this...

Dear Cindy and Rob
    I am sorry to hear you weren't satisfied with your meal. Please come back and let me and my staff make it up to you. We appreciate all of your past visits and the positive reviews you have written.
    sincerely, chef Kasi

Did we get one of these?????? The answer is NO
    We're not looking for this note now, opportunity lost.

p.s. We had reservations for a party of 10 for January which have been canceled. We rebooked at Tierra del Sol.

Quote Originally Posted by rob o View Post
    You're correct, Andrea, up until this most recent visit it was on our list of favorites. One might wonder how one bad visit could cause us to say that we won't return but, as you well know, Aruba has a wealth of fine restaurant options. Prices at MJs are high enough that one bad night is one too many to absorb.

Everyone has to try and decide for themselves, I guess.

Aruba since 1979
    Yes indeed Aruba has some terrific dining options.

"One might wonder how one bad visit could cause us to say that we won't return but, as you well know, Aruba has a wealth of fine restaurant options"

I am sorry you had that negative dining experience at MJ. That do seem very eager to take care of their customers and make things right when there is a negative comment. Must have slipped through the cracks perhaps? With as many people as they serve there are bound to be a few dissatisfied customers. I can't say that every dinner I have ever served turned out the way I wanted it to. Hope you will give it another try someday.

Quote Originally Posted by maggiwun View Post
    "One might wonder how one bad visit could cause us to say that we won't return but, as you well know, Aruba has a wealth of fine restaurant options"

I am sorry you had that negative dining experience at MJ. That do seem very eager to take care of their customers and make things right when there is a negative comment. Must have slipped through the cracks perhaps? With as many people as they serve there are bound to be a few dissatisfied customers. I can't say that every dinner I have ever served turned out the way I wanted it to. Hope you will give it another try someday.
    In time, perhaps, but not for at least a few trips. Just need some "time away" for now. Thanks!
    Please contact via e-mail at arubarennowner@gmail.com

I have to disagree: what makes a good restaurant a GREAT restaurant is consistency in food, service, ambiance etc. I don't mean the same thing all the time but an ability to adapt to changing wants of customers, innovative food, the ability to address service issues immediately etc.

Home cooks are not expected to deliver a New-York-Times-stunning-review-worthy meal every time: restaurateurs and chefs work under that expectation of excellence and consistency regardless of where they toil.

A number of people have commented on the size of MJ's being a factor: if they can't ensure a premium experience (reflected in pricing) as a result of the number of customers on any given night, they should re-think their service offering.

Restaurants are cyclical and the ability to survive a decline is a rarity. They can't afford a few "off nights".

Aruba is a VERY competitive and small food-service market and all restaurateurs need to take comments like Cindy's extremely seriously: losing a recurring customer is a potential death knell.

When I think back on some of the stunning restaurant/meal experiences I've had, it's usually restaurants that I've returned to again and again that have met or exceeded my expectations... places like Chicago's "Tru", Paris' "Chez Georges", New York's "Union Square Cafe" (now, sadly, closed) and "Nobu", Toronto's "Canoe" and a lot of less fancy places... but ALL met the above criteria or exceeded it.

I'm feeling that way about a number of Aruban restaurants as well: "Flying Fishbone", "Barefoot", "Carte Blanche" "Two Fools and a Bull" etc. And all for different reasons.

We're returning to them all this November and I'll definitely be checking in with the forum to do the return reviews!

Reniassance Island & Surf Club Lazy River
    TY Act1966
    Appreciate your take on this.
    Rob and I have far to many options of excellent dining to be dragged down by this location
    Kasi has greatly disappointed us

Quote Originally Posted by cindyo View Post
    TY Act1966
    Appreciate your take on this.
    Rob and I have far to many options of excellent dining to be dragged down by this location
    Kasi has greatly disappointed us
    We have never had MJs. It was on our first list for our upcoming trip but the inconsistent reviews had us on the fence. The response of Chef Kasi on your previous post left me with a negative impression. I felt it was defensive and a bit condesending on the gravy issue, and there was really no need for that. Reviews like this one from Maggie and others who continue to rave about it still make me wonder what I am missing, but it was the chef's own words that really turned me off. We'll see, we still may try for ourselves.
    Not sure when, but we will be back

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12