Aruba Beach
Aruba Nights Island Guide
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree17Likes

Thread: MJ Review

I appreciate Chef Kasi posting. He shows that he is passionate about his restaurant and reputation. it certainly feels that he is dedicated to good customer service.

on our trip in november we were disappointed with our meals ...size of portions were smaller, meat was tougher and all our plates were cold.....didn't c/o because we just decided to erase it off our list....with so many other places we have never tried I figured we would give them a try....
    April we went to Zeerover's and I am so hooked I can't wait to go back this November......simple place, simple food, no fancy-smancy......just great food...

I wonder if the places like MJ's become a bit complacent figuring if we tourists have a good meal one year they will be guaranteed a second visit and that keeps them going year over year ?????
    ARUBA....HOME AWAY FROM HOME

MJ

I finally made up my mind to drop MJ off my list. Although I see some comments from some people who are happy with MJ the majority seen to think this place has changed. I have been coming to Aruba for over 13 years and have seen some restrauants which I have been extremely happy with come and go. I think the main problem is they become over confindent that tourist will not see the difference. They need to understand with the repeat business in vacationers we expect they same or better quality as our last trip. The famous quote is "Success is not a good teacher because it seduces you into thinking you cannot fail".
    Quote Originally Posted by danadog56 View Post
    on our trip in november we were disappointed with our meals ...size of portions were smaller, meat was tougher and all our plates were cold.....didn't c/o because we just decided to erase it off our list....with so many other places we have never tried I figured we would give them a try....
    April we went to Zeerover's and I am so hooked I can't wait to go back this November......simple place, simple food, no fancy-smancy......just great food...

I wonder if the places like MJ's become a bit complacent figuring if we tourists have a good meal one year they will be guaranteed a second visit and that keeps them going year over year ?????

To Chef Kasi,
    as the original poster in this thread, I would like to thank you for addressing this.
    Let me be clear - first of all, I had no complaint at all with the QUALITY of the food. It was fine. And in fact I did the shrimp casserole as an appetizer and it was quite delicious.
    The problem I had was with the portion size, as I said all 4 of us ordered the surf and turf and we were unanimous in our opinion that the portions size, was not only small but much smaller than in the past. So it was not just me, looking for a giant size.

Also, regrding the comment by poster Andy M, that Chef Kasi and I disagree about the portion size, that is not correct, because while Chef Kasi says the portion size is the same as always, Thomas told us, when we commented, that yes, the portion sizes were changed to be smaller than in the past. (Specifically on the surf and turf). It was not only me that heard this, but also my friend that was with me, so I did not misunderstand the comment.

I don't want giant portions, I am interested in good quality, with REASONABLE portion sizes. And I don't mind paying higher prices to get it. But paying higher price for such a small size steak was very annoying.
    As I think I mentioned, on the same menu, for the same price, was a 20 ounce Rib eye, and I was wishing that was what I ordered

With all that said, Chef, I appreciate your responding on the forum.
    I will email you directly tomorrow.

As I recall this more or less same email went out last year from someone else of course. The Chef came on at that time and responded again as well as this time. We at the time were also hesitant to go there, last year as a result of the reviews. We went my husband has the grouper which is usually hanging off the plate it is huge. That dish remained the same. At any rate with more than one person claiming this about the size of there steak it would seem consistent with last years review from someone else. They all cannot be wrong.

I am looking forward to MJ's again. I used to order different things every time but since I've had the rack of lamb I can't order anything else. I'm so looking forward to it!

As the original poster of this thread, i thought i would add one last thought with the outcome.

FWIW, per Chef Kasi's request/suggestion, i did email him directly. I never got a response. It would have been nice had i received an email offering a free dinner, or even just a dessert or something ( i don't care about the money, its the idea, that they would want me to give them another try).
    After many years of going there, i think i am done. Its a shame, we had always looked forward to it.

But there are many amazing restaurants on the island.

Quote Originally Posted by pratoman View Post
    As the original poster of this thread, i thought i would add one last thought with the outcome.

FWIW, per Chef Kasi's request/suggestion, i did email him directly. I never got a response. It would have been nice had i received an email offering a free dinner, or even just a dessert or something ( i don't care about the money, its the idea, that they would want me to give them another try).
    After many years of going there, i think i am done. Its a shame, we had always looked forward to it.

But there are many amazing restaurants on the island.
    You not emaild me directly ,my private mail is a different one, the mail is the Mj office address where also all the reservation coming in !
    What day did you mailed us ?? i just talked to my office Guy and they cannot find any mail from you.

We take our Customers Seriosly and that is not Mj's style so let me see what went wrong here .
    Im sorry for all the hassle we sure make it up with you the right way !!!!

Regards

Kasi

We just figured out what went wrong with your email ,you should get our response asap .

Again sorry for the inconvenience !

Kasi

It went with some other mail into the spam folder ( no idea why ) normally we check it also but Wesley ( he does the office ) is on VK the replacement wasn't looking it up like he should .
    but its all taken care of now .

Thanks Andrea

Kasi

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast